Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi people! the end (plug) tore off my frost plug on my 2.7L 06' Sante fe and I'm wondering if i can cut an old frost plug end from my '03 elantra and splice them together? my dad (82yrs old) says i will blow my truck to pieces if it short circuits. can anyone help me with this or has anyone done it without exploding?

Thanks,
The backyard female mechanic :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Are you sure you're talking about the right thing ? Frost plugs are round pieces of sheet metal (like cups) that come oversized and get squeezed into the engine block to come out first in case cooling water freezes - to prevent your engine to crack.
How would you 'splice 'em together' ??? Anyway the can not be reused.

I guess your concern is about something completely different. May wanna post a picture of the object in question ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
As mentioned, you presumably meant block heater plug, not frost plug. You should not likely try to splice the cord in the middle as it is hard to do this reliably and without creating a shock hazard. Your options are basically putting a new plug on the remaining cord (assuming there's enough undamaged length on the cord to do this) or just replace the entire cord back to the block heater.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts