Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've found an issue over the weekend washing my GT, the wipers won't flip up when trying to go into the up position. It hits the edge of the hood and scraping the paint, does anyone have this issue or is this a single problem with mine where the it's a defect from when it was built?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,312 Posts
They don't sell the Elantra here in the UK now so I've never seen a new one, but a lot of car these days are designed so that the wiper blades need to be positioned up on the screen before you can lift the arms. There is sometimes a hidden function on the switch for moving the wiper arms to the "service position". If your owner manual doesn't tell you how to do it with the switch, you could try just switching the wipers on then turn the ignition off when they are half way through they're sweep.

Anyway, I don't think there will be a fault with the car. I suspect it's just a design feature.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah. The wipers need to be in the service position for it to lift out.

I believe you have to hold the wiper stock in the mist position for a few seconds within the 10 second window after turning off the vehicle.

This "feature" constantly reminds me of my forgetful nature last winter with all the ice and snow built up on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
They don't sell the Elantra here in the UK now so I've never seen a new one, but a lot of car these days are designed so that the wiper blades need to be positioned up on the screen before you can lift the arms. There is sometimes a hidden function on the switch for moving the wiper arms to the "service position". If your owner manual doesn't tell you how to do it with the switch, you could try just switching the wipers on then turn the ignition off when they are half way through they're sweep.

Anyway, I don't think there will be a fault with the car. I suspect it's just a design feature.
The Elantra GT is essentially the i30 hatchback in the UK I believe. Their method is slightly different from the North American version. I think it differs in the direction you pull the stock.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,312 Posts
The Elantra GT is essentially the i30 hatchback in the UK I believe. Their method is slightly different from the North American version. I think it differs in the direction you pull the stock.
Thanks for the confirmation on the operation of the wipers.

I've not seen any new i30s either. Unfortunately, I don't get to work on many Hyundai these days, although I had a rare treat today....a Tucson with an airbag fault.

·
Registered
657 Posts
This vehicle has a "hidden" wiper design which means that the wipers cannot be lifted when they are in their bottom resting position.

1. Within 20 seconds of turning off the engine, lift and hold the wiper lever up to the MIST position for about 2 seconds until the wipers move to the top wipe position.

2. At this time you can lift the wipers off the windshield.

3. Gently put the wipers back down onto the windshield.

4. Turn the wipers to any ON position to return the wipers to the bottom resting position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts