Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here done this repair and is it something a home mechanic can do or is it dealer only?
I could not find bearing assemblies in the parts stores, only the actual bearing itself.
Any tips on how to do this job on my son's 2000 Tiburon.
Thank you in advance,
Kurt
(Rob's Dad)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
You have to remove the steering knuckle and press out the old bearing with a press. If you're an old timey guy like me, you can drive it out with a hammer and a punch, and drive the new one in with a hammer, but it's not a recommend procedure.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Save yourself a whole lot of grief..... You can remove the knuckles yourself, and farm them to the shop of choice for the press work.. We replace bearing and snap ring.. do not re-use the old ring, best to install new ring upon re-assemble.

Take some quality bearing grease and spread the races apart a little bit, and shove a bunch of lube into the races.. the bearings is not lubed from factory... I prefer MOBIL 1 synthetic grease, Kendal 427 blue be good too.. they'll last longer with lube in them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sbr711
I see you have a 65 327 SS.
I recently restored my 68 327 Corvette coupe and you gotta love them small block Chevys.

Can I press out the old bearing using a large socket and a bench vise and then drive in the ne wone using the socket as a drive/press?
Thank you
Kurt

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jsinton,

Why do you say it is not a recommended procedure?
What are the pitfalls I should look out for?
Was hoping I could use a large socket to drive old one out and new one in evenly.
Or use old bearing to seat in the newone????
Thank you
Kurt

QUOTE (jsinton @ Jun 28 2010, 08:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336947
You have to remove the steering knuckle and press out the old bearing with a press. If you're an old timey guy like me, you can drive it out with a hammer and a punch, and drive the new one in with a hammer, but it's not a recommend procedure.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (RobMA @ Jun 29 2010, 08:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337277
Jsinton,

Why do you say it is not a recommended procedure?
Impact on brgs is recipe for disaster, thats why you hit a pothole or curb hard enough or too many times, hear the growl..

I beat the old parts out, it faster,,,,, but for assembly, you use a 20 ton press to slowly push the new bearingg into the knuckle, and then push the hub through the bearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
soo

you can replace it yourself just by banging it out and back in, should one use a rubber mallet to bang it back in (so its a little easier on it) or would it make much of a difference?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm currently working on pulling the transaxle in a 2000 Tiburon and have the front knuckles assemblies out. Going to have to replace both wheel bearings. How does one remove the hub from the bearing? I don't see an easy way to support the knuckle to press or drive the hub out. There's no room to put bearing knives in there. The on line manual shows a special tool which I'm not about to source and purchase for a one time job. Once the hub is out of the bearing it should be easy enough to R&R the bearing out/in of the knuckle then put the hub back in.
Any tips or suggestions would be most appreciated.

TIA

Talk slow, think fast.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Don't try to do it. I found out they're usually so rusted in there with and old car like that that it's not worth doing. Save yourself some grief and take the knuckle off, call around to some shops and get a price, and have somebody do it who understands it. I just paid $25 a side down here, made a huge difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I removed the hubs from the knuckle before I read where you said: "Don't try to do it." It came apart a lot easier than I expected it to. I haven't taken the bearing out of the knuckle yet, but I don't see a problem doing that. I have a 12 ton press and it that won't do it I know where there's a 20 ton that I can get the use of.
Here's a pic of how I supported the knuckles to drive the hub out and the tools I used, a 1" impact socket for a driver, a HD brass drift and a 3 lb hammer.

Hub removal.JPG

·
Registered
6 Posts
The 12 ton press didn't have enough schmuck to move the bearings and I didn't feel like going over to my buddy's place to try the 20 ton, (in case that wouldn't work either) so I did the old "run a bead inside the race" w/the mig welder. That sure loosened them up, came out real easy after that. Knuckles and hubs are all back together now, just waiting for the new clutch to arrive before I start reassembling everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts