Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 2010 59 1.2 Classic and have had to take it in three times for the tracking to be fixed. I have never hit a kerb and avoid pot holes as best I can. is this a known fault? I have used different tyre centres each time so bad workmanship is unlikely. Also, I get a clicking noise on full RH lock, which sounds like a CV joint. The car has covered 7500 miles and has been into the dealership 3 times since March for the gear linkage/clutch play. 'No fault reported'. Understandably, I am wary of taking it in again.

·
Registered
284 Posts
QUOTE (hellooo @ Oct 14 2010, 01:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=363407
Hi all,
I have a 2010 59 1.2 Classic and have had to take it in three times for the tracking to be fixed. I have never hit a kerb and avoid pot holes as best I can. is this a known fault? I have used different tyre centres each time so bad workmanship is unlikely. Also, I get a clicking noise on full RH lock, which sounds like a CV joint. The car has covered 7500 miles and has been into the dealership 3 times since March for the gear linkage/clutch play. 'No fault reported'. Understandably, I am wary of taking it in again.

We have two i10's and have to say the tread wear up to now has been very uniform across the tread of all the tyres. When you say you have had the tracking checked / adjusted 3 times, what excessive tyre wear are you experiencing? Are the shoulders wearing and is the wear on the inside or outside edges or are the tread blocks becoming feathered and uneven in height ?

Compared to an Atoz we had earlier, that car had a tendency to chamfer the shoulders if full lock was frequently used. Drive it without putting it on full lock in car parks etc and the tyres wore equally across the tread but perform U turns, scrub the tyres and the shoulders wore very fast. :(

Interestingly m1n1s reported a cv joint failure at 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. The front tyres are both wearing around the outside edge only and the steering feels lighter in a straight line than it does immediately after having the tracking adjusted. The only culprit could be speed humps but I haven't altered my driving style and didn't experience the same problem in previous cars. In fact, I don't with my wife's Fiesta either!
I am about to book it in for the CV rattle to be looked at.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Outer tyre wear is usually down to excessive toe in (where the front of the wheels point inwards), after your car was adjusted, is the steering wheel still in the dead ahead position when driving in a straight line or is it now off centre?

·
Registered
284 Posts
QUOTE (Northstar100 @ Oct 30 2010, 03:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367498
Outer tyre wear is usually down to excessive toe in (where the front of the wheels point inwards), after your car was adjusted, is the steering wheel still in the dead ahead position when driving in a straight line or is it now off centre?

Yes I think the problem sounds like too much toe-in, although the wheels should have very little.

Looking on the Hyundai technical site the toe-in and alignment values for a 1.2 2009 are:-

Toe-in
Total
0°±0.2° Individual 0°±0.1°

Camber angle
0°±0.5°

Caster angle
2.6°±0.5°

King-pin angle
13°±0.5°

May be worth asking what they are being set at?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the responses. Since going into the dealer on Friday (more to follow on that!), the steering feels a lot tighter again. Almost as though the track rod ends or another steering part have worked loose and been tightened on the quiet. Watch this space... The clicking noise is a drive shaft which isn't in stock. When I expressed surprise becuase the vehicle has covered 8000 miles, the receptionist laughed and said 'well things don't last forever'. As much as I like the car, I won't be running it into the ground as was originally planned as don't fancy multiple expenses once the warranty has expired. The cheap list price is obviously an indication that corners have been cut in engineering and construction!

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (Northstar100 @ Oct 30 2010, 11:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367498

My first i10 was a classic and at around 8,000 miles I noticed outer tyre wear but i had been running them "soft" through the harsh winter and neglected to bring them back to correct pressure for a long and fully loaded journey. Did a bit of research and basically no adjustment for camber on the i10 and it was probably my fault for running on under inflated tyres.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey all, i found some solution or i can say some hint which i found on IndianCarz when i searching on internet. If the camber is not right, there will be more wear on side of the tyre. If the toe is not set properly, the tyre will suffer even wear but excessive. Bad suspension parts like the tie rods, struts etc.

And also find This if helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts