Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased first Hyundai in April, 2010 Santa Fe 4 cyl. I was wondering if anyone else finds the front suspension knocking almost like a loose strut or shock over some small sharp bumps, seems to come from the passenger side wheel only. Dealer replaced the front struts at 700 miles said one failed, but it still makes the annoying knocks at times. "Expert mechanic" from dealer rode with me said it is normal for Santa Fe. Love the car except for this problem. I am frustrated by this, from this otherwise great car.
Thanks

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (Donaldd @ Aug 28 2010, 07:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352665
Purchased first Hyundai in April, 2010 Santa Fe 4 cyl. I was wondering if anyone else finds the front suspension knocking almost like a loose strut or shock over some small sharp bumps, seems to come from the passenger side wheel only.
Perhaps the 2010 is still bothered by worn front stabilizer/sway bar ends. Would be surprised if you'd given it enough bumps and knocks already, but it's common on all of the 2007~2009 models. If you had any of those years, I'd bet lunch.
Worth a look by the dealer. He should be familiar enough with it from the prior history.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
What canderson said. http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...tabilizer+links

You can test them by grabbing the linkage in the palm of your hand (where the long bar running under the transmission connects to the vertical suspension members on each front wheel) while someone rocks the vehicle from side to side. If you feel a knocking sensation, the dealer will change them under warranty. It's a common issue on the Santa Fe. Mine have been replaced twice in 50,000 km.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2007 Santy , and I also had my sway bar bushing change 2 times and now at 54000.km is gone again , same banging in the front end.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Has the part been upgraded or are they still using the "known to fail" ones?

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
QUOTE (Vulcan @ Sep 10 2010, 01:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=355407
Has the part been upgraded or are they still using the "known to fail" ones?
Since some of us are on our second set of stabilizer links in less than 3 years, I'd say the latter.

Hyundai must have a really low cost on these parts to justify so many free replacements. But they should be upgraded. They are a weak link - pardon the pun - in an otherwise robustly-built vehicle.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Funny...

Brought my '07 in to a trusted service guy to have brakes done at 80,000 miles, and asked him to find out what that "clunk" was under the front end...

(he replaced the sway bar links).

So, I decided to check the forum to see if there was any history, and here I am!

Wish I would have noticed it 25,000 miles ago!

Maybe he used aftermarket, which could actually be better than the destined-2-fail OEMs! :eek:

Ya know,

It really peaves me when a manufacturer knows they have a problem, and simply choose to off-load the cost to the consumer, rather than just making a little better part (and charging more the for the first replacement. Same issue with GM Intermediate Steering Shaft - from 2001 - 2007 they seem to all go bad every 30k miles or so. Dealers stock them by the bucket full. (just had one replaced in an 03 Bonneville for $250. Sad part is, I'll have to have it done again in another 30k! Talk about adding to "cost of ownership"...).

So my question is, will I have to do this (sway bar links) again in another 30 - 40k miles? :bigemo_harabe_net-01:

(suckage...)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I suppose you could fab' a really special set of links from steel DOM tube and some ends... :banana:

Be really strong, and maybe a bit firmer too as far as body trying to lean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts