Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Sonata GLS - 57,000 miles
I am having a knocking noise in my front suspension. It is not associated with engine or wheel rpms. I get my regular thumping when I hit bumps/cracks in the road surface but also sometime often just rolling along without bumps. No always of course, there is long periods without any noise. Sometimes it seems as if its when the balance of the car shifts. Its not when braking or turning. I have recently had 4 new tires installed and also had the mdps bushing/coupler replacement done. I don't recall hearing the noise before having the work done, but we do tend to be more attentive to noise after major work is done. I don't really think anything they did installing the tires could cause the noise but I don't really know what is involved int the MDPS bushing/coupler replacement. Could there be anything that they took off/loose and didn't get back correctly? I have taken a cursory look but can't see anything without it being up on a rack. Any one have any idea what I should be looking for? Any one have a similar problem and solved it? I am hoping that SBR weighs in here, he has a lot of experience with sonatas.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
2013 Sonata GLS - 57,000 miles
I am having a knocking noise in my front suspension. It is not associated with engine or wheel rpms. I get my regular thumping when I hit bumps/cracks in the road surface but also sometime often just rolling along without bumps. No always of course, there is long periods without any noise. Sometimes it seems as if its when the balance of the car shifts. Its not when braking or turning.

I have recently had 4 new tires installed and also had the mdps bushing/coupler replacement done. I don't recall hearing the noise before having the work done,

With no noise before why did you get the mdsp worked on?

but we do tend to be more attentive to noise after major work is done. I don't really think anything they did installing the tires could cause the noise but I don't really know what is involved int the MDPS bushing/coupler replacement. Could there be anything that they took off/loose and didn't get back correctly? I have taken a cursory look but can't see anything without it being up on a rack. Any one have any idea what I should be looking for? Any one have a similar problem and solved it? I am hoping that SBR weighs in here, he has a lot of experience with sonatas.
Here's a video on that bushing repair.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
They seem to use cheap outer tie rods on 2013 sonata, just replaced both side in my brothers with approx 70k miles.
Both sides rattling and loose and dangerous.

Start with sway bar links, unhooking one side at a time and drive car listening for noise. Most common wear item on front end.
If noise still there move to tie rod check.

Grab each front wheel at three and nine o’clock position with car jacked up and check outer tierods for play. Should be no rattles or clunk and only very small amount of play.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Start with sway bar links, unhooking one side at a time and drive car listening for noise. Most common wear item on front end.
If noise still there move to tie rod check.
It turned out to be sway bar end links. Hyundai wanted $400 to fix. I bought the end links from rockauto for 20 bucks each and paid the local repair shop $50 bucks. Took him about 20 minutes.

Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
It turned out to be sway bar end links. Hyundai wanted $400 to fix. I bought the end links from rockauto for 20 bucks each and paid the local repair shop $50 bucks. Took him about 20 minutes.

Thanks

Very good to know! Not unexpected as you approach 100K miles for bushings, shocks, struts, end-links to need attention, depending on how you drive and your road conditions (pot-holes suck). I drive most of my cars to 250K+ miles and at some point all of these items (and some more like wheel bearings, brake lines, etc.) will need replacement. If you DIY, it's not that big an expense but also not too bad if your local indy shop does it (I happen to use a local Firestone store over the years for such work with good results).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts