Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 GLS is now at the 141k kms. mark. Very soon, there will be a need for me to replace the front struts. The price of an OEM pair of front struts will cost me an ARM-And-A-LEG. Taking an alternate route will save me 30% to 40% against OEM.

Checking from KYB's website, they have not listed any part numbers for the 2012's Sonata's and 2012's Optima. Although, there are current part numbers available from KYB for 2011 and 2013 Sonata's. I am looking at their available pictures and it seems that we have to likewise change the front strut links once we use the available part numbers.

My concern at this moment is that, have anyone tried to use any of the available KYB's for their 2012 GL/GLS's ? Are the OEM springs a direct fit with the KYB's ? The knuckles for the 2011, 2012 & 2013 seems to be the same, so I don't see any issue.

Any objective inputs will help.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
OEM is only solution for front, rear you can use kyb or monroe shocks.

mid year change in 2011, the sway bar links are different, and so are the mounting points on the strut.

use forum search, this topic has been covered a bunch of times.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've gone through a lot of old post from the previous years but it seems that no one have shared any experiences of taking a different option. I am also aware about the difference in the mounting tabs locations for the stabilizer links for these models.

I am also informed (through various posts) that the OEM is the only or could be the only route, however, there might be another aftermarket economical or practical avenue that may be available for everyone, it is just a matter of exploring. Going with the KYB for different year model, it is a must that a stabilizer links need to be changed accordingly. Getting a new pairs of KYB's and stabilizer links will set me ahead of the ball game against the OEM's struts only. That's how I look at it.

So going back to my original question in lieu of the OEM's, have anyone tried to use any of the available KYB's for their 2012 GL/GLS's ? Are the OEM springs a direct fit with the KYB's ?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
What ever happened to strut cartridges...that would be nice! :surprise:
BTW, I thought I would have to shell-out big bucks like you...but Hyundai bit the bullet and paid for my, out-of-warranty broken spring. :beer:

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I've gone through a lot of old post from the previous years but it seems that no one have shared any experiences of taking a different option. I am also aware about the difference in the mounting tabs locations for the stabilizer links for these models.

I am also informed (through various posts) that the OEM is the only or could be the only route, however, there might be another aftermarket economical or practical avenue that may be available for everyone, it is just a matter of exploring. Going with the KYB for different year model, it is a must that a stabilizer links need to be changed accordingly. Getting a new pairs of KYB's and stabilizer links will set me ahead of the ball game against the OEM's struts only. That's how I look at it.

So going back to my original question in lieu of the OEM's, have anyone tried to use any of the available KYB's for their 2012 GL/GLS's ? Are the OEM springs a direct fit with the KYB's ?
You can't just order the different sway bar links because they won't work with your sway bar. Because Hyundai changed the front subframe and sway bar. It changed the whole geometry of the front suspension. This WAS all covered in other posts. This was the mid year change they did. If you want to know if the coil spring from your car would work then look up the oem part number for a early 2011 and compare it to your oem part # for 2012.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I opened this thread a few months ago. Until not I am still searching for some inputs.

I wanted to know if anyone here have tried or installed FCS Brand of struts, pn FCS 333505R (right) and FCS 333505L (left) and what was your observation.

Rock Auto seems to carry this brand while KYB have not listed this struts yet for the 2012's.

Thanks

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
I opened this thread a long time ago. Until not I am still searching for some inputs.

I wanted to know if anyone here have tried FCS STRUTS pn FCS 333505R (right) and FCS 333505L (left). Rock Auto seems to carry this brand.

I am still waiting for KYB to release their struts for the 2012's.

Thanks
Tell me why they need to be replaced?

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
My 2012 GLS is now 156k kms. hence, I am exploring other options.
Mileage has little to do with the struts ability to do it's job. I had guys that drove dirt roads with many pot holes and they needed to be replace at 40K or even less and I had many customers who drove on roads and were careful and the struts were fine with 200k and even 250k. If your struts are not leaking and have decent restriction when pushing down on the end of the car and they don't bounce. You are wasting your money. If any of these things are bad replace both sides. Never just do one side even if the other side seems fine. If the springs are not broke and have the correct height there's no reason to replace anything but the cartridges.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So the Truhart struts won't work on this model? Mine call for 54651-3Q625 I found one that looks identical to mine but the part number is 5465-13Q612QQH is very confusing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have to agree (although it's just an objective fact; doesn't matter if I agree or not) that mileage has no bearing on the functioning of struts. Or springs, or shocks, or sway bars, or anything to do with the suspension. What does have an impact is age and driving conditions, but not mileage.

That aside, if someone does find another alternative, by all means let us know. It does seem odd that third-party manufacturers haven't produced anything given the mass numbers of these cars on the road.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My original post was "I am exploring other options....", considering it is not yet time for me to have them replaced. My 2012 still hugs the road well with its OEM struts and shocks. I just don't want to be stuck only at 1 option at some point in time.

I know that replacing these should be in pairs either front or rears. I also have the tools to do such replacements as I was the one who replaced the struts of my previous cars.

I intend to keep this car until such time I am ready to have this traded.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
My original post was "I am exploring other options....", considering it is not yet time for me to have them replaced. My 2012 still hugs the road well with its OEM struts and shocks. I just don't want to be stuck only at 1 option at some point in time.

I know that replacing these should be in pairs either front or rears. I also have the tools to do such replacements as I was the one who replaced the struts of my previous cars.

You'll have plenty of time to find your alternative once you know it's time. That's barring any sudden impact that may require replacement before usage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey, I know this has been quite bit a long time, I would appreciate your input on what you ended doing. I am due for 2 front struts and ran into the problem of the 07/26/2010 cut off period with different staiblizer links mount position.
I tried Unity Automotive complete Struts but they were horrible with my SE 18" rims. I almost crashed. ABS and traction light at every highway curve. Dealership has them ridiculously expensive. The OEM part number is 54651-3Q711 and 54661-3Q711. Also I started thinking of something genius. What if I swap the sway bar from the Sonata i have with the ones that were built before 07/26/2010? Wouldn't this allow me to use the available aftermarket struts out there? They even come cheaper and Sporty available. Just need some Hyundai tech to confirm the fitment from swaybar I dont see why they can't be swapped. I mean the 2 brackets on cradle that holdst it are in same place. It's a matter of where the sway bar ends turn at both ends to meet the staiblizer links.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts