Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their front strut?

I'm at 80,000 miles and it about that time. Wondering if you have replaced, did you go OEM or do we have other choices?

Thanks,

Aaron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone replaced their front strut?

I'm at 80,000 miles and it about that time. Wondering if you have replaced, did you go OEM or do we have other choices?

Thanks,

Aaron

I am wanting to replace mine as well. From what I’ve seen so far the Hybrid uses a unique strut and we are stuck with OEM only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks now to find the best price for a pair of front struts. For the rear I see them on rockauto so might go with those for the rear and oem up front.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Any specific reason why you guys are looking to change. I am at 88k and since I have put only 8k on this since I got it & am wondering are you noticing any significant change in the driving comfort level. I am already impressed with the way the suspension geometry is set up for this vehicle, having done a ton of suspension work in the past on each and every vehicle that I have owned. Am wondering what you guys are noticing to go for the change. Maybe I am not noticing what you guys are...educate me, please.

Thanks...

Sandan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure my front left strut is the worst one out of all of them. I makes a noise when I go over a speed bump or exit my driveway. My handling is also noticeably bouncy now after the hard 80,000 miles hitting pot holes in LA. It's lasted almost 5 years of hard daily driving so not really complaining, its time just to restore comfort and handling.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I'm pretty sure my front left strut is the worst one out of all of them. I makes a noise when I go over a speed bump or exit my driveway. My handling is also noticeably bouncy now after the hard 80,000 miles hitting pot holes in LA. It's lasted almost 5 years of hard daily driving so not really complaining, its time just to restore comfort and handling.
You might have a broken strut spring on the left-side. If I didn't hear mine go bang I wouldn't even notice...no noise or difference in handling. Have it checked!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might have a broken strut spring on the left-side. If I didn't hear mine go bang I wouldn't even notice...no noise or difference in handling. Have it checked!

Good tip, need to inspect the spring too. Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can also search the following parts for cheaper...

KYB is an excellent brand in suspension components...

kyb excelg 334996 & 334995....found em on amazon for $99 and $88 = $188.42 for the fronts

or you can buy this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TruHart-Sp...ash=item1a33ba6d6f:g:yC0AAOSwgeRZnNCN&vxp=mtr

sandan
IGNORE THIS PEEPS, JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH KYB tech support AND THEY DONT SHOW THE REGULAR SONATA STRUTS MATCHING THE HYBRID SONATA :frown: , may be some variation in the damping forces.....or some difference in the mounting points....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Curb Weight of Regular v6 sonata is 3452lbs and that of a Hybrid Limited is 3578lbs, so a net difference of 126lbs.....I don't think the dampening forces would be any different for the struts. Now if only someone could verify the fitment accuracy that would be great info....

Sandna

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do have broken spring on the driver side. Measuring the same spot on the fender comparing both sides, the driver side is 1/2 inch lower.

The correct updated part is:
Manufacturer: Hyundai
Part Number: 54630-2T044--DS
Part: Coil Spring
Replaces: 54630-2T040, 54630-2T041, 54630-2T044

The part is back ordered according to the parts guy at my local dealer. I ordered one anyway since no one else would have the part. Thanks again for this information.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I do have broken spring on the driver side. Measuring the same spot on the fender comparing both sides, the driver side is 1/2 inch lower.

The correct updated part is:
Manufacturer: Hyundai
Part Number: 54630-2T044--DS
Part: Coil Spring
Replaces: 54630-2T040, 54630-2T041, 54630-2T044

The part is back ordered according to the parts guy at my local dealer. I ordered one anyway since no one else would have the part. Thanks again for this information.
The first to go is the stabilizer link. Cheap. Then the lower control arm with ball joint. OUCH! Expensive if one piece. Then the shock. Cheap ones are ok. They could be no name Munroes. So inspect your front end. I doubt your coil is broken. Probably a failing ball joint. Just installed my second control arm after the original. (3)

·
Registered
425 Posts
A failing ball joint will lower the car. If it continues it will let go and the wheel will end up, up inside the wheel well.
You don't want to go there! lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts