Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In mid-Oct I purchased a new '20 SF Limited, this after many months of test driving just about everything- OB, Passport, Ascent, Accord, Camry, RAV4 you name it. I got a call from my local sales guy about 0% for 72-month, which got my attention. Any after driving a couple, I went w/ the Limited AWD, turbo vs. FWD, Rain Forest exterior, black interior, most all of my want boxes were checked!

From the very first test drive I could feel vibration, like a wheel was out of balance, I figured it was an easy fix. Before closing on the sale, the service dept re-balanced all the wheels. After a day or 2, I could tell it still wasn't right. The service manager via the sale guy, stated it must have a flat spot from sitting too long at the plant, as they had only had it 16-days. They suggested I give it 1000 miles, & if the problem as still there they would put on new tires. So 1-month & 1100 miles later we switched tires, going from the OEM Continental to Michelin & I paid a $75 up-charge.

At first I thought the new tires did the trick, but over time I could tell it hadn't. I got thru Dec & the holidays took it back to the shop & had to schedule another appt. to take a test drive w/ the service manager.. And did that on Jan. 21st at 3500 mile, all it took was a few short hi-way miles & he def felt the vibration & determined it the be the front right axle. Parts ordered & waiting.

I really hate it when things are mis-diagnosed!! I was just wondering if I should be worried about any other short/long term damages from vibrations etc.

Anyone else have the same axle issues? This is def a first for me in all the vehicles I've owned over the years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel for you that you have this issue.

It sounds the Service Department is working with you to make sure you are a satisfied customer.

AWD can add many different variables to diagnosing vibration in a drive system.It sounds like your Service manager is on top of it and working hard to resolve your issue to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I really hate it when things are mis-diagnosed!! I was just wondering if I should be worried about any other short/long term damages from vibrations etc.
Nice that they finally found the issue. I wouldn’t be worried about any long term effects. Probably no worse than a tire or wheel out of balance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
May want to see if they can pay you back the $75 you paid for the better tires. I would be aggravated having to go through that.
Yeah I'm trying to decide how hard I should press them on this. I do think the tires are better etc. but then again it didn't resolve the issue, just like swapping for another set of Conti wouldn't have done the trick.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When I had my transmission replaced, the job was delayed as couple of days as the Service Technician had to order in a new trans-axle seal. It was explained to me that the seal was leaking. I don't recall off-hand which side, but I do remember that it was the inner seal. BTW, my SF is a 2019 Ultimate 2.0. S

Cheers
J

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Note this thread should be about tire/wheel/axle vibrations...

Well on Wed. the shop replaced the front right axle, of course they said it (vibration) was fixed. But not far from the parking lot I could tell it wasn't & once on the highway it was even more pronounced. Last night I contacted my sales guy let him know the results & my frustrations w/ the whole ordeal.

This is the 3rd attempt to address/fix the vibrations-- wheels re-balanced, new tires & now the right axle. Not only am I disappointed that it hasn't been fixed, but the shop keeps handing me back the keys saying that it has been tested & fixed (BS).

·
Registered
143 Posts
Time to contact Hyundai Customer Service and take your car to another dealer for service

Hope it works out soon

J

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are one repair away from making the claim under the Lemon Law if you are in MO. Be very clear that you are contacting the manufacturer to begin the process if the next attempt does not cure the issue. Most lemon laws are very favorable to the plaintiff, meaning you will be just about whole or provided a new or very similar vehicle. The consumer has to agree to the settlement/replacement vehicle... I think in all states. Before you sign for the repairs, test drive the vehicle. If the vibration remains, sit with the service manager to contact the manufacturer to begin the process. You will still have to notify Hyundai USA of your claim in writing.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T Awd
110 Posts
Yep. Usually with the lemon laws you have to send them a certified letter notifying them of the issue and allowing them one final chance to try and fix the issue before you formally file your lemon law complaint.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Time to contact Hyundai Customer Service and take your car to another dealer for service
Not sure I would take the car to another dealer. More than likely it will just add complexity to the situation and increase the chances of finger pointing. Not likely the next dealer will be any better at diagnosing, plus your dealer is more familiar with what has taken place to date.

Unfortunately vibrations can be difficult to diagnose. Sounds like your dealer is making reasonable attempts to repair, but it's time to insist they test drive the car before handing you back the keys.

Contacting Hyundai at this point is a good idea as at the very least the dealer will clearly get the message you are unhappy about the situation and are not just going to go away. And it's time you familiarize yourself with the lemon law in your state as they can vary significantly from state to state. Should be easy to find the details on your state's website.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts