Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I notice a few small paint chips along the bottom of my front bumper probably from stones, I'm looking to touch it up myself but I'm not sure about the colour, it's the silver/grey area of the lower area of the bumper? Also found a few scuff marks along the black plastic bumper any tips on removing these as well?

·
2,258 Posts
your vin sticker on the inside of the driver door will have your color code. go to the dealer and buy the little touch up pens they sell

·
2,258 Posts

·
22,793 Posts
Usually a 2 or 3 alpha-numeric code. From a website, for illustration purposes only:

Attachments

·
2,258 Posts
Usually a 2 or 3 alpha-numeric code. From a website, for illustration purposes only:
thats exactly what i was talking about. great post/pic. thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
a car is generally painted 1 color..... ?
There are at least three colors on the 2013 SFS exterior. The main color of the body (e.g. Canyon Copper), black (e.g. over the wheel wells), and silver/grey (e.g. below the bumper). The OP is asking about "the silver/grey area of the lower area of the bumper". Will you find that color spec on the VIN tag?

John

·
2,258 Posts
There are at least three colors on the 2013 SFS exterior. The main color of the body (e.g. Canyon Copper), black (e.g. over the wheel wells), and silver/grey (e.g. below the bumper). The OP is asking about "the silver/grey area of the lower area of the bumper". Will you find that color spec on the VIN tag?

John
there is actually only 1 paint code for this car.

the gray trim all around the car is an unpainted, textured plastic. so that wouldn't even have a "paint" or "color" code. if anything it might be vin/production date related textured plastics, if they changed materials mid-production.

the 2 silver valiance pieces are pre-painted parts, that i doubt would even have a paint/color code.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
the gray trim all around the car is an unpainted, textured plastic. so that wouldn't even have a "paint" or "color" code.
the 2 silver valiance pieces are pre-painted parts, that i doubt would even have a paint/color code.
your vin sticker on the inside of the driver door will have your color code. go to the dealer and buy the little touch up pens they sell
I'm confused. So why should the OP go to the dealer and buy touch up pens that match the paint code on the VIN tag?
John

·
2,258 Posts
I'm confused. So why should the OP go to the dealer and buy touch up pens that match the paint code on the VIN tag?
John
the op stated he has chips missing from his paint on his bumper. i took that as his real paint job. i told him to look at his vin sticker to see his specific paint code.
you then suggested it might be his lower valiance (good point by the way).

so we are pretty much left guessing which part the OP is talking about. until we know, we ant go on further.

·
Banned
532 Posts
there is actually only 1 paint code for this car.

the gray trim all around the car is an unpainted, textured plastic. so that wouldn't even have a "paint" or "color" code. if anything it might be vin/production date related textured plastics, if they changed materials mid-production.

All plastic is clear or cloudy after it's cracked from petroleum during processing, a dye must be added to give the plastic pellets their unique, manufacturer specific color prior to molding process. A typical example is the underbody trim on the SF, you certainly don't think HMA just said "Send me 30k of these parts in black with a little bit of texture on them" Do You?

Grey & Silver Valance trim, 1st you have to define the material- TPO, PP or others, then find the paint spec'd by either HMS or HMK depending on where manufactured. It then would be painted in a manner assuring adhesion to that type material in a repair type situation. So, there IS a code for this trim. A universal marker on the trim will show what type it is (like milk & shampoo containers) for the specific type of plastic and paint needed.

In closing there are many color codes for any vehicle- paint, leather dye, carpet, floor mats, interior trim, soft vinyl and on and on. The one we are most interested in and most access to is the touch up pen.

But to say there's only one paint code would not be reliable information.

·
2,258 Posts
All plastic is clear or cloudy after it's cracked from petroleum during processing, a dye must be added to give the plastic pellets their unique, manufacturer specific color prior to molding process. A typical example is the underbody trim on the SF, you certainly don't think HMA just said "Send me 30k of these parts in black with a little bit of texture on them" Do You?

Grey & Silver Valance trim, 1st you have to define the material- TPO, PP or others, then find the paint spec'd by either HMS or HMK depending on where manufactured. It then would be painted in a manner assuring adhesion to that type material in a repair type situation. So, there IS a code for this trim. A universal marker on the trim will show what type it is (like milk & shampoo containers) for the specific type of plastic and paint needed.

In closing there are many color codes for any vehicle- paint, leather dye, carpet, floor mats, interior trim, soft vinyl and on and on. The one we are most interested in and most access to is the touch up pen.

But to say there's only one paint code would not be reliable information.
you are splitting hairs, by trying to go into the molding process of plastic, carpet colors, etc. we are not talking about carpets, leathers, nor the colors plastic makers used. we are talking the COLOR CODE OF THE COLOR YOU CHOSE TO BUY.
no one is disputing that there cant be thousands of shades of gray plastic created. clearly hyundai designers picked out a specific color/shade of gray from their suppliers. but that color code will not be available to anyone. nor is it needed because all of these plastic trim pieces come as is from the supplier. so when you go buy one of these trim pieces, you wont need to paint it. its already the exact color gray Hyundai asked for. UNLIKE BODY PANELS & BUMPER COVERS WHICH ONLY COME PRIMED. THERE IS NO PAINT CODE FOR THE TEXTURED PLASTIC TRIM, AVAILABLE TO ANYONE AT THE HYUNDAI DEALERSHIP(unlike your paint code).

if you needed new textured trim panels, you go and buy it from the dealer; you wont need any paint codes, since no painting is needed. they already come molded THAT color.
now try that with a bumper cover, door, hood, fender, roof, etc. the doors, hood, fenders, etc all will come with only a primer. thus you needing your paint code to get a match. see the difference?

when the OP stated he wanted to fill in the chips in his bumper, i thought he was talking about the main painted area; versus the textured unpainted area or the silver trim/valiance. thats why i told him to check his paint code on his vin sticker.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The lower area of the bumper is painted silver/gray, but it isn't the same color code as the body, different shadow I think.
I just Googled it and seems that no matter what color your car is, that part is "silver".

·
22,793 Posts
Thank goodness all I have to deal with is WJR. Whew. That was taxing.

For the rest:
Chip Color Code(s) Color Description 7B, S7BMidnight Black Metallic AABlack Onyx Pearl FHMHyper Silver Metallic P3, P3GHarbor Gray Metallic RERVenetian Red Pearl SMRadiant Silver Metallic T3, T3UPacific Blue Pearl T4, TR4Sparkling Ruby Metallic WHCPorcelain White Pearl WJ, WJRShimmering White Pearl Y2UBlue Sky Metallic Y4, Y4UIndigo Night Metallic Y5Silver Frost Metallic Z3, Z3SIridescent Silver Blue Pearl

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thank goodness all I have to deal with is WJR. Whew. That was taxing.

For the rest:
Chip Color Code(s) Color Description 7B, S7BMidnight Black Metallic AABlack Onyx Pearl FHMHyper Silver Metallic P3, P3GHarbor Gray Metallic RERVenetian Red Pearl SMRadiant Silver Metallic T3, T3UPacific Blue Pearl T4, TR4Sparkling Ruby Metallic WHCPorcelain White Pearl WJ, WJRShimmering White Pearl Y2UBlue Sky Metallic Y4, Y4UIndigo Night Metallic Y5Silver Frost Metallic Z3, Z3SIridescent Silver Blue Pearl
Don't rest on your laurels yet, Rich--you forgot my color Iron Frost (P2S).

·
22,793 Posts
Don't rest on your laurels yet, Rich--you forgot my color Iron Frost (P2S).
^^^ That's why we need your eye for detail, Sparkland. LOL To monitor the failings of us old geezers. Nice catch.

If I remember correctly, those were Sonata paint codes when I initially looked. But I'm noticing a lot of repetitiveness and similarities between various models and paint codes. If nothing else, I hope it provides a novice searching for their first paint code a general idea of what they should be looking for.

For the record, here is (allegedly) every paint code Hyundai offers, by Model & Year. Pretty extensive: http://gtcarlot.com/colors/Hyundai/All/

·
Registered
70 Posts
There should be only 1 primary color code for each vehicle that's printed on the door gap. It doesn't matter your interior/trim/engine. The color code is used to identify what color your exterior is.

All the exterior trims that are not of the same color are usually sold separately than the major panels and those may have different part#, and they usually come pre-painted according to interior/trim/engine.

·
2,258 Posts
there should be only 1 primary color code for each vehicle that's printed on the door gap. It doesn't matter your interior/trim/engine. The color code is used to identify what color your exterior is.

All the exterior trims that are not of the same color are usually sold separately than the major panels and those may have different part#, and they usually come pre-painted according to interior/trim/engine.
+1 ^ this

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
There should be only 1 primary color code for each vehicle that's printed on the door gap. It doesn't matter your interior/trim/engine. The color code is used to identify what color your exterior is.
IMO, the VIN tag color spec is meaningless to the OP's problem. The OP is asking, and I quote, "... I'm not sure about the colour, it's the silver/grey area of the lower area of the bumper?".

The OP is asking about one of these colors. Hyundai surely has a color spec for these parts. If you have the color spec for the grey, that would be helpful info for the OP.

I would suggest the OP go to a Hyundai dealer and ask if they have touch up paint for the grey parts on the vehicle.
John

·
Registered
84 Posts
paint code for silver bumper panels on front and rear?

Hi all anyone know how to find out the standard silver paint code that's on the lower front air dam/bumper section on front and rear diffuser parts on all Santa fe?
I scratched the front one and need to paint it.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 36 Posts