Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know before I waste time at the dealer if the 2016 Sonata Sport front passenger airbag sensor has any adjustments - physical or in the computer?

Reason I ask is I bought my wife this cushion for her sciatica problems:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W0KKIXW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

It works great and she can handle longer car rides in the Sonata but with the cushion in place, the airbag sensor does not trigger. I've tried a few things to help place more pressure under the cushion to activate the sensor but no dice so far. It doesn't even work for me on the cushion and i'm 220 lbs so it's not a weight issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hello,

Does anyone know before I waste time at the dealer if the 2016 Sonata Sport front passenger airbag sensor has any adjustments - physical or in the computer?

Reason I ask is I bought my wife this cushion for her sciatica problems:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W0KKIXW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great and she can handle longer car rides in the Sonata but with the cushion in place, the airbag sensor does not trigger. I've tried a few things to help place more pressure under the cushion to activate the sensor but no dice so far. It doesn't even work for me on the cushion and i'm 220 lbs so it's not a weight issue.

Thanks

That's interesting. Kudos for observing that lol.

So you're saying that the passenger airbag indicator shows to be turned off regardless of how much pressure is on/in the seat?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. Either of us sit in the seat - the light goes off. Sit up and slide the cushion onto the seat and sit back down, the light comes on for both of us saying the airbag is off. If I stand outside or sit in the drivers seat I can make a fist and press down, not a lot to be honest, on the light goes off, so the cushion is doing it's job to distribute the weight to the point that the sensor does not register the person.

Going to try a test with some 1/4" plywood and see if I can find a 3/4" hard rubber ball that I can shop in 1/2 and make a small base under the cushion that would help place more pressure on the center part of the seat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't know about Hyundai, but some cars use capacitive sensors instead of weight sensors. If it is capacitive, then no amount of weight will trigger it. It will need to have a body in close proximity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Weight has to be part of it as when my son was younger and sat in the seat and the light would remain on meaning the airbag was off. For people under a certain weight (it varies from what I can tell, low of 60, high or 100 lbs) they don't want the airbag on - does more harm then good they say.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I don't know about Hyundai, but some cars use capacitive sensors instead of weight sensors. If it is capacitive, then no amount of weight will trigger it. It will need to have a body in close proximity.

Interesting.
I'd have my camera bag (easily 30lbs+) in the front seat and it'd say that the passenger airbag is off, likely because of two things:
1) it detects SOMETHING in the seat, and
2) whatever is in the seat is below the minimum weight limit for the passenger airbag to enable.

... if there's nothing in the seat, the light is off. haha.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts