Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some clunking and squeaking when steering and not moving and I suspect it's the ball joints. They looked good when I look at them though but I'll still change it.

Now I got a service manual but for some reason the balljoints are not in it. Just to be clear it appears to be a simple bolt off and bolt on install? I have an impact so old components shouldn't cause to much issues right.

Also, I don't know the torque specs for the bolts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Super easy job. Use pickle fork to separate BJ from the control arm, then you got two 15mm bolts holding the BJ to knuckle. Losen those bolts before you separate BJ from Control arm as they might be on tight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Super easy job. Use pickle fork to separate BJ from the control arm, then you got two 15mm bolts holding the BJ to knuckle. Losen those bolts before you separate BJ from Control arm as they might be on tight.
Ok thanks. Do I need the pickle fork? I planned on just tapping on the end of the old balljoint.

Also, I'm not sure yet if the balljoint are the issue... not sure what to do.

I did another test, when I'm in the car and move my body side to side to rock the car, I clearly hear the noise. Wouldn't that indicate shocks instead?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Funny thing I said it was an easy job....

Last Friday I had a friend come over with 06 Sportage that needed lower BJ. First of all, nut on the BJ stud wouldn't come off and whole thing broke up and stayed flush with the CA piece. **** stud was so seized in the control arm that hammering on it with 2 pickle forks wasn't helping. I had to bust out Oxy/Acet torches and then it finally let go.

·
Registered
882 Posts
rent a ball joint separator set and a fork from advance auto first, just in case. The hardest part is to separate the ball joint bolt, even the pb blaster won't work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts