Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this item on eBay that puts some lighting behind the oval in the front grill or on the tailgate badge.

Hyundai Santa FE DM 2013 2WAY LED Emblem Badge Front Grill OR Rear Trunk Emblem | eBay

I think that we can come up with out own versions of this with some clear acrylic (plexiglass) and a hand full of flat top or straw hat shaped LED's drilled into the acrylic. These shapes direct more light out the side of the LED's to help diffuse the light into the acrylic.

I will do my front with the white LED's as the main color and the amber LED's that will come on when the brakes are applied. This European idea is to let people that are walking across the street ahead of me know that I have indeed applied the brakes and will not try to run them over (This time, if they walk fast enough ;) )

I do know that any other colors than white (not blueish) or amber is illegal to show on the front of "any" vehicle, so that is why I will change the color to amber.

I think that I will also add a linear flasher to the amber, like you see on the back of the ambulances or fire trucks with the LED lighting. I had it on my Goldwing and it starts with a quick 4 flash, pause, 3 flash, pause, a 2 flash, pause and then on steady if the signal is not interrupted. I.E. I keep my foot on the brake pedal! A cancelling circuit can be found in these DRL/Turning indicators that turns off the white LED's when power is applied to the amber LED's.

Until people in the crossing walk zone learn what the flashing is for, I also put both of my palms up to indicate that I am stopping. Yes I still have my wrists or forearms on the steering wheel for safety sake.

More light can be passed through the eagle style badges because there is more open space within the oval.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hm. The hand thing might confuse people, too, like you're waving :D

Might be able to modify to yellow, but just have to hope the LEDs aren't on too tight (but of course enough so that they're waterproof.

And white bluish (7,000K) IS legal. The newer Kia/Hyundai positioning lights/DRLs are 7,000K ish.

·
Registered
583 Posts
You would probably have to drill a small hole on the rear hatch to run the wires. It would look good to have the rear as a brake light and the front to have a white running light.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hm. The hand thing might confuse people, too, like you're waving :D

Might be able to modify to yellow, but just have to hope the LEDs aren't on too tight (but of course enough so that they're waterproof.

And white bluish (7,000K) IS legal. The newer Kia/Hyundai positioning lights/DRLs are 7,000K ish.
As far as I know, others feel free to chime in, 7000K is ILLEGAL. I thought the max legal colour temp was 6000K, with OEM being rated at 4300K.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts