Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any experiences with the front OEM license plate holder holding up ok in automatic car washes? Just curious before I install mine next week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure if it's the same one as I'm in Canada but I have had no problems with the dealer installed front plate holder on mine. I go through automatic wash once a week usually and have had the car for a year and a half.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Probably identical, I believe we share the same size in license plates. Guess I'll go ahead and install. I could probably go without the front plate, but already been stopped twice in three weeks. Didn't realize the locals COPS pay that much attention to a front plate.

·
Registered
2010 Hyundai Elantra 2.0 engine Automaasmission c
160 Posts
Does the Tucson have the shark fin antenna on the roof of car like my Elantra does wondering how it would do in the automatic car wash?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had quite a few GM products in the past x-number of years and they all have had or currently have Shark Fin antennas, a bit smaller since they did not contain the AM/FM antenna internally, but never had one fly off or cause any problems in a car wash.

And in my many years of moving around, primarily in TN and MI, I met a lot of automotive engineers and learned that two manufactures (assume the other manufactures did the same) had numerous types of auto car washes in their engineering centers and ran vehicles through them for testing all the time, as well as went out into the public to use types they did not have.

I have to think a manufacture as large as Hyundai does the same massive testing.

It felt good and sturdy when I coated it with Turtle Wax Ceramic coating the week I got the vehicle.

Reactions: Jeep Ride

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not an option. Nearest car wash is brush, does a great job, been using it for over eight years, and never damaged any of my trucks so can't imagine it will damage the Hyundai. However, I'll find out tomorrow after the temp rises, possibly, over 20 degrees. Summer yes, sometimes wash by hand, winter...never.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Look closely at your paint when it's clean. I'll bet you'll see the swirl marks in it.
Do I care? NO! But my trucks never had any swirl marks. And understand many of us have no choice if we want a clean vehicle once in a while.

Reactions: TucsonHybrid

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went through a few auto washless car washes many years ago when living in SE MI but they were not worth the time and/or money. Just spray alone could not get the car clean and if winter in MI, might as well get the dog to lift it's leg to wash i,. might be just as effective. (MI loves salt on roads in the winter....).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First trip in the Tucson in a car wash, and both of us survived. Outside temp was 18 before and after entering. (Not bad since it was 2 when I left my house.

NO SWIRL marks that I can see in bright sunlight or in the lighted garage after I got home. Car wash does not used those nylon brushes, uses cloths of some sort for top and bottom.

Shark fin assembly survived.

Front plate still not installed; decided to paint the bracket glossy white; second coat is drying.

Only real problem was the outside mirrors froze almost instantly when exiting the was, back panel, painted area froze by the time I parked to wipe it down.

Heated mirrors melted the ice before I was done wiping. Front or sides didn't freeze, but the back panel had ice on it even after arriving home.

·
Registered
160 Posts
First trip in the Tucson in a car wash, and both of us survived. Outside temp was 18 before and after entering. (Not bad since it was 2 when I left my house.

NO SWIRL marks that I can see in bright sunlight or in the lighted garage after I got home. Car wash does not used those nylon brushes, uses cloths of some sort for top and bottom.

Front plate still not installed; decided to paint the bracket glossy white; second coat is drying.

Only real problem was the outside mirrors froze almost instantly when exiting the was, back panel, painted area froze by the time I parked to wipe it down.

Heated mirrors melted the ice before I was done wiping. Front or sides didn't freeze, but the back panel had ice on it even after arriving home.
in

Where do you live at?

·
Registered
2018 Sonata Limited 2.0
74 Posts
The antennas aren't totally bulletproof. We do a few a year from car washes taking them off. 90% of the time, the car wash will pay for the replacement. Overall, they hold up well though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I worked for Napa there was a automatic car wash in our town they were always getting wiper blades for the ones that got tore off their customers cars in the car wash this was back in the eighty's .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
in

Where do you live at?
East or also known as SE Idaho

I see you live in WV. Many years ago; when I live south of Nashvill, I headed up to WV and spent a week just outside of Elkins in a B&B located above a bar. Had a great time. Spent some time hiking up some mountains Spruce(?) and places like Dolly Sods wilderness area.

Reactions: Jeep Ride

·
Registered
2023 Tucson Limited AWD / Serenity White Pearl / Black Interior
16 Posts
Look closely at your paint when it's clean. I'll bet you'll see the swirl marks in it.
Of course you're going to see swirl marks, Dealerships wash all the new cars - even before you come test drive them they run them through their auto car washer. You've got swirls from day 1, unless you maybe can somehow catch it right off the truck. We all have swirls.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts