Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read endless threads about installing a front plate mount on our style of Elantra’s. But one thing sticks out, they all seem to involve the dreaded screw-in-the-bumper method. I just bought an oem mount for the daughters ‘17 that doesn’t require drilling. Is there such a beast for us lowly MD owners? I can’t stand the thought of seeing some of these aftermarket mounts that you either have to drill anyhow, or they look dorky off to one side, etc. so anyone have a good experience finding one that fits like every other car in the world does are an I just stuck ruining a good bumper with screws that may or may not hold up over the long run? Thanx in advance, Tim

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
for our sedans, there is no bracket. here in texas, front plate is required. all the dealer did was screw it into the bumper. i did get a bracket for a gt, but it also screws into the bumper, so now i have 4 screws holding on the bracket and the plate. and i really dont care, because they are on there for the life of the car. the bracket does place the plate in a much better position. how bout getting a really good airbrush person to paint the plate on the bumper?

·
Registered
480 Posts
The bracket for the coupe fits on the sedan but still requires drilling into the bumper. Part number is 86519-3X511. I didn't install it on my sedan because the dealer already drilled holes in different spots, but if I had a pristine bumper and had to drill holes I'd use the Hyundai bracket.

Since the bumper is slightly curved and the license plate is flat, it doesn't attach perfectly when drilled directly into the bumper. The Hyundai bracket matches the curve of the bumper and will give you a perfect fit. Here is a photo of mine: https://i.imgur.com/KbUbGvm.jpg . As hochiinn mentioned 2 years ago, it doesn't come with screws.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The bracket for the coupe fits on the sedan but still requires drilling into the bumper. Part number is 86519-3X511. I didn't install it on my sedan because the dealer already drilled holes in different spots, but if I had a pristine bumper and had to drill holes I'd use the Hyundai bracket.

Since the bumper is slightly curved and the license plate is flat, it doesn't attach perfectly when drilled directly into the bumper. The Hyundai bracket matches the curve of the bumper and will give you a perfect fit. Here is a photo of mine: https://i.imgur.com/KbUbGvm.jpg . As hochiinn mentioned 2 years ago, it doesn't come with screws.
I refuse to drill holes in my near new 2014. The dealer said there was no bracket, but they obviously look at the VIN and what Hyundai manufacturing states and have no working knowledge of what alternate parts could work with ease.

Search for "magnetic license plate holder" and see several ideas on this theme. Here is one such example:

THANK YOU for this part number and with a little work I think if needed, I could work this out with magnets. :grin2:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
source for the magnets?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts