Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've been searching as well and as of now there isn't any option available. I'm sure in the near future someone will come out with the bracket or a modified version that doesn't require the dealers drilling the plate through the bumper. I'll hate the day if someone backs up into the front of my car and pushes the plate and does more damage than if it had a bracket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the bracket if it existed would bolt/screw in to the same exact markings on the front bumper that the plate mounts to directly.....

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (SLIDERITE @ May 27 2010, 10:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326887
the bracket if it existed would bolt/screw in to the same exact markings on the front bumper that the plate mounts to directly.....
Unless they used an adhesive like they do with the badging. Personally, I wish my dealership hadn't drilled my front bumper because I don't use my front license plate... apparently the cops around here just don't care. It look so much better without the plates there, but the two holes kind of kill it...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Currently here in Illinois Front plates are required by law but there is some talk about eliminating that requirement, that means I will have two holes in my front bumper that will need to be filled,
when that day comes I guess I will have to get some type of Custom Novelty plate maybe something that say's " YES IT'S A HYUNDAI " :grin:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hyundai does not provide nor make a bracket for the front license plate. And I'm happy because if there was a bracket, most likely it'd had been installed on my car. They only provide 2 bolts to pierce your poor bumper. I've never installed a front plate (required in TX), and never had a problem in over 25 years. If I ever do, I'd just temporarily attach it in with double-sided tape. And yes, having holes in the bumper is a deal-breaker for me. Good day.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Kansas you do not need a front plate but I caved in and bought a dealer trade that had the holes drilled. They are going to plug the holes with color matched plugs. Will see otherwise I will add a vanity plate up front.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My used '05 Outback had the holes drilled in the front bumper but there is no front plate in PA. I didn't like the look of the holes so I went to a hardware store and found 2 small black plastic plugs that filled the holes perfectly and looked much neater. I painted them with touchup paint and from a few feet away you didn;'t even notice them.
I found them in the section where they sell all of the "nuts, bolts, washers". They were in those small slide-out cardboard boxes where they have all types of small items like fender washers, etc. I found a size that was just a hair larger then the holes and just lightly tapped them in with a hammer.

Don

·
Registered
75 Posts
I saw my friend's Accura TL. He has a L-shape license plate bracket. So he doesn't have two front holes, he has two hidden holes instead. I wish I knew it before I picked up my car.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (meik @ May 27 2010, 11:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327174
I saw my friend's Accura TL. He has a L-shape license plate bracket. So he doesn't have two front holes, he has two hidden holes instead. I wish I knew it before I picked up my car.
Well, Hondas and Acuras do have an 'L' bracket that is bolted underneath the upper part of the bumper (with 2 bolts), BUT they're also supplied with 2 self-tapping screws to drill the bumper through the bracket. Most dealers are smart enough to just attach the brackets with the 2 bolts, but I had to refuse delivery of an MDX when the bozos drilled the bumper even when I ordered NOT to mount the bracket at all. The good thing about the 'L' bracket is Honda/Acura bumpers DO NOT have the dimples since the bracket's position is dictated by the bolts underneath the bumper. The good news is the dimples are pretty much invisible on the Sonata, unless you look hard where they are. Take care.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wanted to mount mine to the left of the bumper like some people. It looks a lot nicer than than it being in the front. I hate to drill a hole through the bumper but I guess if there is no choice..

·
Registered
594 Posts
Removed my plate immediately when I got home and added some black closed cell weather strip behind the plate to keep the alu and the hard plastic plate frame away from the paint. I agree with you guys though, those two holes looks really **** when the plate has been removed but we will probably never see that law change in our province, so it is a non issue for me at this point.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (JohnMD @ May 27 2010, 12:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326941
Currently here in Illinois Front plates are required by law but there is some talk about eliminating that requirement, that means I will have two holes in my front bumper that will need to be filled,
when that day comes I guess I will have to get some type of Custom Novelty plate maybe something that say's " YES IT'S A HYUNDAI " :grin:
I don't see them ever changing the law here in Illinois. With all the red light cameras and photo speed traps it would make no sense. Matter of fact, I see the lure of extra revenue from these abominations changing the laws in the other direction in states that don't require front plates now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts