Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my newly driving son put a trailer hitch halfway through the front plastic grill/bumper piece. Looking at official parts it seems I can't just get this piece? Any suggestions where I can get it and if its as easy as it looks to replace? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
Evidently, you're not in California? That is where the front license plate is supposed to be and law in CA. Maybe you just want to add one and put it there lol

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
The bumper cover may need to come off.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What part are you referring to as the "bumper cover"? The solid plastic piece that's damaged seems to just unsnap if I work it. But I don't want to pull it off without knowing my options.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
You don't know what the bumper cover is? Kind of explains itself. Go ahead and pop it out. See what you get.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It looks to me like this thing... Can someone double check and confirm?

Grille Assembly - Hyundai (86350-E6100)

I know it shows an image for the radar model, but this is in fact the non-radar version of the grill. As seen here.

And no, that black piece is not sold separately from the full assembly.

And don't try to remove any parts out of the proper order. You'll damage more than you are trying to fix.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,033 Posts
It looks like that is part of the grille (the grille on the hybrid are different) but the picture is not showing it all. If it is the grille it can be done for less than $250 for OEM or you can look into aftermarket available on sites like Shark Racing.

https://www.ebay.com/p/OEM-2016-201...ne-Hyundai/1180508402?iid=292625757446&chn=ps

If it is the bumper cover and you have to replace the bumper cover, if the grille is not damaged it can be swapped into the new bumper cover. They are available painted and unpainted, If you can find one painted it will save you a lot, just do a search on e bay or similar. You can get Hyundai OEM replacement parts from a lot of online sites, try to stay away from the dealer sites for this kind of stuff if you can it will save you more than 50% on the part plus about $ 400 labor at dealer (that was what I was quoted)

Looking on web , primed covers are <$ 250 and painted $500 and up.

I had to replace my grille and to do it requires removing the bumper cover. its an easy job, only requires a 10mm socket and phillips screwdriver and less than 2 hr.

I started a thread here
https://www.hyundai-forums.com/lf-2015-sonata-i45/619186-how-replace-grill-17-sport.html

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Reactions: phftw

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I mentioned the bumper cover I wasn't saying it was damaged. I was saying it may need to be removed in order to replace the grille that is damaged.

Got it, thanks. I also wonder if its possible to transfer that cover to the existing grill...

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Got it, thanks. I also wonder if its possible to transfer that cover to the existing grill...
The grille is what needs to be replaced not the cover. You better take it to a body shop or live with it. It don't sound like you're ready for this yet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The grille is what needs to be replaced not the cover. You better take it to a body shop or live with it. It don't sound like you're ready for this yet.

How did you come to that conclusion? The plastic cover at the bottom of the grill is obviously removable because I had to reattach it at the top after my son backed off the hitch ball. It simply snaps in. If that ends up not being an option, there are tutorials to help with grill replacement. In fact, one was posted in this thread.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
How did you come to that conclusion? The plastic cover at the bottom of the grill is obviously removable because I had to reattach it at the top after my son backed off the hitch ball. It simply snaps in. If that ends up not being an option, there are tutorials to help with grill replacement. In fact, one was posted in this thread.
Sounds like you have your answer.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,033 Posts

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
To replace the grille on the LF you have to remove the bumper cover because if comes off from the inside of the bumper cover. Follow the thread I linked above
Been trying to tell him this from day one. Your link is to the part and doesn't show him how to do the job. You are in for it now. We'll see how it goes from here.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts