Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing, removing or Plasti Dipping the chrome on my Elantra Limited grills. Replacing would be a little costly and time consuming. Can the chrome overlays be removed from the grills? I would love to keep the chrome emblem but the accent pieces in chrome is a little much.

Any insight?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I am looking at replacing, removing or Plasti Dipping the chrome on my Elantra Limited grills. Replacing would be a little costly and time consuming. Can the chrome overlays be removed from the grills? I would love to keep the chrome emblem but the accent pieces in chrome is a little much.

Any insight?
yup. i did this to my car :D
and you ask, which one did you do? I did both. haha

I plastidipped the chrome last year, worked nicely, but wasnt happy with the finish.

so now its painted.

i did the same to the back emblem as well. there is a trick to this though. if you want the paint to stick, you need to seriously rough up the surface on the chrome. as for the back, the piece was small enough that i soaked it in bleach for a few days until the chrome boiled off. so i essentially painted over the bare plastic.

for the plastidip, you wont have to do anything, just paint right over, peel off any excess, you're good to go.

read up on the forums and use the search tool, it should turn up a bunch of results.

·
Registered
124 Posts
chrome grilles

Don't like my chrome grilles. Trying see other options what to do.. Many ppl go plasti dipping but there other options.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Burger never tried that.. How does that work.. Where u buy that??

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
carbon vinyl tape, apply with hair dryer and its not that expensive
Similar look to mines except done in matte black. Vinyl is my suggested route as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had it on for about a year , never any problems and it will peel right off easily if you desire, got it at pep boys, also applied to the various pillars

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
paint that crap (chrome) and be done with it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
carbon vinyl tape, apply with hair dryer and its not that expensive
Thanks for the inspiration! I am going to do this to my Accent after I vynil the centre of the bumper. I should have enough left over that I wont need to order any more.

·
22,788 Posts
I'd like to see the finished product. I'm "mentally toying" with an idea at this time. Maybe this weekend. I'm leaning towards Plasti-Dip as a cautionary first strike move. If I don't like it, I have the option available that it can be removed with no harm to the surface. If it pans out to look like I vision it will? Maybe the paint option for more permanency.

One thing is certain. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING will get done before or during the Oklahoma/Texas Red River Shootout this Saturday. :wink2:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you need to remove the bumper? How exactly did you do it? Looks good!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts