Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 04 XG350L has a vibration in the front at highway speeds of 60 MPH and above. It occurs under power, but not when off throttle, such as coming down a hill with the cruise on. It also pulls right at highway speed, but that lessens dramatically at lower speeds. I know the car sat for a few months before I bought it. I saw no obvious undercarriage damage while checking it over before buying it. I'm thinking someone curbed it and knocked the alignment out of whack, but the tires don't show feathering. Any ideas?

·
Registered
622 Posts
My 04 XG350L has a vibration in the front at highway speeds of 60 MPH and above. It occurs under power, but not when off throttle, such as coming down a hill with the cruise on. It also pulls right at highway speed, but that lessens dramatically at lower speeds. I know the car sat for a few months before I bought it. I saw no obvious undercarriage damage while checking it over before buying it. I'm thinking someone curbed it and knocked the alignment out of whack, but the tires don't show feathering. Any ideas?
You only get the vibration under acceleration? If you're going over 60 MPH and you let off the gas pedal, does it still vibrate? If not, may be a bum axle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It sounds like an alignment issue to me also. But you should also take a look at the rims, and possible bearing issues. Jack the car up, see if you can push the wheel in and out, if so, its a bearing issue. Also while you are at it, spin the tire and notice any wobble to it which could be a rim issue.

Could be something as simple as needing the tires balanced or rotated also. Had that issue before I put new tires on and had a front end alignment, always pulled off to the passenger side.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The vibration goes away if you let off the gas. There is also a rhythmic noise when on the gas. I know the car sat for several months before I got it. And both front tires were low. I also had to change out a rear that had a bad belt, and the lug nuts weren't tightened evenly. I suspect the front might be the same, but haven't had the time to check them yet. To many hours at work. How much of a job is changing an axle?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the XG require a four wheel alignment or just a front end? I'm leaning toward an alignment and a set of tires. At least to start.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Tires and Alignment will not hurt but doubt that these fixes will solve the problem. Sounds to me like its in the drive system as it occurs under power. You have some good suggestions on what to check. Let us know what you find.

·
22,793 Posts
Constant velocity joint? Id try the alignment and tires, first. I's also look at the wear patterns on the tire tread. See what that tells you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, four new Goodyear Eagle GT's and the vibration and pull to the right problem is gone. I managed to talk the shop manager into letting me in the work area and checked the pads on all four wheels as well. Not new, but plenty of miles left on them and the rotors show normal wear. Thanks all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quick Update. Finally had a chance to dig the old tires out of the trunk. My boss's brother uses old tires to hold down the tarps on his silage piles, so it saves on the disposal fee. I wanted to see if any of them could be set back as an emergency mount up. One of the front tires, I'm guessing the right front, was starting to separate at the sidewall. It also showed abnormal wear on the inside. Since I don't know if the tires had been on since they were new, I'm going to have the alignment checked in two weeks when I get my next weekend off. Just to make sure it is where it is supposed to be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts