Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This afternoon my Santa fe started shaking and light smoke from driver side at around 70 MPH. Continued for about 5 miles then pulled over shook the tire and heard some noise/play.

Got back in the car and the issue went away.

Ugh… any recommendations on how to check ball joint, Axle, and Strut for the cause of the issue or any other suggestions on the cause? Before pulling over the issue did not worsen applying the brake so not the rotors. Also during IDLE no vibration.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Light smoke??? If you were doing 70 and could see it at all, it wouldn't normally be called light! Or did you spot this only after you stopped? Something hotter than it should have been, or fluid where it should not have been. If the former, something around the hub/wheel area should have been painful to the touch. I'd certainly want to pin that down ASAP.

Meanwhile, if you're concerned about the front end, best to get the vehicle elevated and start checking things item by item for excessive wear/play. As for wheel play specifically, bad wheel bearings on 07~08 units aren't all that uncommon.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol!!! it wouldn't be called light!

After pulling over I noticed the smoke. How would one pinpoint an issue with the suspension. Look for torn boots, pull at the tire etc?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
You'd have to go through the front end piece by piece to locate a reason for the shaking .. and I'm assuming it's 'that' kind of shaking, not the feeling of an engine trying to come apart. Did you feel it primarily in the steering wheel, or was the whole front of the vehicle bouncing around?

There are so many different ways to get a shake in the front end that I'd take it to someone to inspect. Some of the possible causes are items that you really can't afford to ignore.

I guess, more or less in order of likelihood for an 08:

Tires/wheels balance
Wheel bearings
Front struts
Ball joints
CV joints

That said...

Back in the late 70's, I was driving an old Ford Econoline. Cruising at about 55~60mph, and suddenly there was this huge oscillation in the steering wheel. Brought it to a stop quickly. Saw nothing strange. Slowly moved it along and noted nothing odd. Moved on up to speed and still nothing. Took it into the 'company's' dealer and they gave the front end a careful inspection. Found nothing, tweaked nothing, replaced nothing. That van never did it again.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
The second direction I'd have taken you is brakes, but you said
Before pulling over the issue did not worsen applying the brake so not the rotors.
Normally, if you had a hung caliper and had badly overheated a rotor, the brakes wouldn't have felt 100% normal, and you seem to be reporting that they did. Still -- your description of smoke makes me wonder if you didn't cook a pad and rotor. That would explain both the smoke and could explain the vibration if the pad were jammed up against the overheating rotor.

In spite of what you reported, I'd like you to pursue that further. I assume you didn't feel around at the time for something hotter than it should have been? I've seen rotors glow in the dark when they're hot enough, but in the daytime, you don't see much except smoke from the binder material in the pads.

Any sense that there is any run-out in the brakes now? Notice any blue spots on the rotors that might indicate a prior overheating event?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you guys are right….suspension was fine I jacked her up nothing loose. No boots torn, tie rods tight, axle tight, no noise from ball joint when applying pressure with crow bar. Strut and springs are fine.

I will give the brakes a look over tomorrow.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
NICE WORK FELLAS!!! Caliper pistons frozen....

THanks!
Ouch. Was afraid that might be the case. Still surprised that you didn't have brake pull or noted some major fade when you finally pulled it over.

Any word on why the caliper was stuck? Just the one side, right? Not something amiss up top with the master cylinder I hope.

I assume you're out at least the one rotor and pads on the driver's side.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Good deal. A stuck caliper can provide more excitement than just damage to the rotor and pads. When overheated to that extent, that wheel will have just about zero braking ability (what we'd call a huge case of brake fade!). You'll quickly discover that your normal braking distance is increased dramatically as the ABS tries to keep things in balance with no braking on one front corner.

Continue to heat it up, and you can get boiling of the brake fluid in that line, a mushy brake pedal, and now you're just in the soup if you have to stop.

Good thing you got it fixed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts