Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I dont see a Moog front stabilizer link. Just Beck/Arnley. I was looking at Rockauto.

I have a steering cluck and the dealer supposedly replaced the bushing but I have no way of knowing for sure. Doing stabilizer bar would be an easy replacement. Also at 60K I think it might be time to start replacing struts.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I started hearing the clunking being talked about here lately. 2013 turbo ltd. 42,500 mi. Glad I saw this thread. Gonna check it out this weekend. Is this something that is warrantied?

Edit: mainly drive on New York shitty streets

·
Registered
167 Posts
Took the car in to the dealer a few days ago because my steering is really loose and there is an extremely loud rattle when I drive over minor bumps or uneven surfaces on the driver side. The car just doesn't' feel safe.
I was looking at the EPS campaign 143 thread and the TSB: MDPS thread, but I think this is the right one!
Anyway, the Dealer said the steering column needs to be replaced along with front stabilizer links and a wheel alignment will need to be done. I have GLS 2011 with 75,000 miles so I'm out of warranty for this. Quoted $1050 for the steering column and $180 for the links.
I was thinking about waiting to see what happens with the EPS recall, but after reading this I don't think the recall will have anything to do with Stabilizer links. I just can't believe the the steering column needs to be replaced. Ordered the links from rockauto.com. Hopefully this will fix the issue.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Took the car in to the dealer a few days ago because my steering is really loose and there is an extremely loud rattle when I drive over minor bumps or uneven surfaces on the driver side. The car just doesn't' feel safe.
I was looking at the EPS campaign 143 thread and the TSB: MDPS thread, but I think this is the right one!
Anyway, the Dealer said the steering column needs to be replaced along with front stabilizer links and a wheel alignment will need to be done. I have GLS 2011 with 75,000 miles so I'm out of warranty for this. Quoted $1050 for the steering column and $180 for the links.
I was thinking about waiting to see what happens with the EPS recall, but after reading this I don't think the recall will have anything to do with Stabilizer links. I just can't believe the the steering column needs to be replaced. Ordered the links from rockauto.com. Hopefully this will fix the issue.
can you provide the link to the rockauto parts? I assume you are talking about the stabilizer links...

Wonder how they diagnosed that you need BOTH (links & column) and not one or the other.

Campaign 143 MAY involve removing the column - we don't know yet and sbr711 hasn't responded to that inquiry yet.

isn't it great to have a 2011 GLS?

·
Registered
167 Posts
can you provide the link to the rockauto parts? I assume you are talking about the stabilizer links...

Wonder how they diagnosed that you need BOTH (links & column) and not one or the other.

Campaign 143 MAY involve removing the column - we don't know yet and sbr711 hasn't responded to that inquiry yet.

Here is the link I ordered the BECK/ARNLEY ones that Smoke suggested.
2011 HYUNDAI SONATA 2.4L L4 Stabilizer Bar Link | RockAuto

You know I wondered that too. Dealer could be right and it might be both. I have had pretty good experiences with the dealer, but that was all under warranty haha.
It was great owning the GLS before I reached 60,000 miles, but now i'm getting nervous. If these stabilizer links fix my issue it will be a big sigh of relief.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

It was shortly after 5pm I think that I found message and reply

Per instructions, scan,,, any of (3) DTC will get you a column replacement..

No DTC, then you win a FREE MDPS control module replacement

Column comes out for column replacement

Column does not come out for MDPS module replacement

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
Which wire do I short circuit to get one those DTCs?
Whoo boy, man, welcome to the 21st century!

Needs to have codes scanned with a scanner. I don't even think anyone uses those connectors you short out any more! ;)

Last time I saw one of those was a '95 Tercel. It already had OBD-II but it also had the "diagnostic" connector under the hood you could short and read the flash codes.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please. This is a good thing to know if there is still one of those connectors that will flash the MIL!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So about a month ago my 2013 Sonata GLS started to make some klunking noise going over the littlest bumps over the road from the front end on both right and left side.

I brought it to one mechanic and they said the rack and pinion needs replacing which is an expensive fix. I couldn't believe that was the problem as I had no leaks and it was on their solid. I ended up taking it to my uncles mechanic and he stated its the stabilizer links on the front right and front left wheels. My way to work has a lot of bad pot holes...thanks to our wasted tax dollars not fixing the roads year after year, so I'm hoping that the stabilizers are actually the problem.

Anyways, tomorrow I will be bringing it to the mechanic to have them both changed. I know a lot have been complaining about this issue and instead of replacing the rack and pinion, I thought I'd try and see if it actually is the stabilizer links and provide a fix for some of the sonata owners on here.
did this end up solving your problem? my car is doing the same thing but everything is solid, we are baffled. it was also making a clicking sound when i turn left so we replaced the axle but that didn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
did this end up solving your problem? my car is doing the same thing but everything is solid, we are baffled. it was also making a clicking sound when i turn left so we replaced the axle but that didn't solve the problem.
correct it solved the cllicking sound when i turn left, but didn't solve the rattling noise it makes when we go overe a bump. its maddening..

·
Registered
167 Posts
correct it solved the cllicking sound when i turn left, but didn't solve the rattling noise it makes when we go overe a bump. its maddening..
The rattling noise when you go over bumps may be the steering coupler. I replaced mine awhile ago, and that did the trick.
I think this a a recall for it now too.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The stabilizer links don't last long enough. RA has them from $9 and up. Buy a couple for every third oil change. And if one is finished, change both.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts