Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my 2019 SF in for service next week and will ask them to check a clunk/rattle in the front end that is most pronounced at low speeds.

I checked the warranty to see it this might be covered (also purchased dealer extended warranty) and was surprised that's it's only the power train that has a 5-yr warranty. Most other items are just 12 months!

How common is this issue and what's usually causing it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'll be watching this thread.
My '14 SFS also has an occasional clunk/creak heard during slow speed (parking lot speed).
I had mine in for service recently, told the "Service Expert" about the clunk/creak and to inspect the CV joints/suspension parts for any problems. They found none.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My '14 SFS also has an occasional clunk/creak heard during slow speed (parking lot speed).
I had mine in for service recently, told the "Service Expert" about the clunk/creak and to inspect the CV joints/suspension parts for any problems. They found none.
I just watched some Youtube videos tonight to learn a bit more about potential causes of front end clunks/rattles.

Let's just say it's a lot easier to diagnose the problem with the vehicle up on a lift, so the garage should be able to diagnose this type of problem. Essentially, the easy-to-get-at parts that move are:
  • Upper control arm
  • Upper ball joint
  • Lower control arm
  • Lower ball joint
  • Stabilizer/sway bar and link
  • Outer tie rod/ball joint
Once you watch a few of these videos you'll see that it's usually either a ball joint or bushing that goes.

Because mine is a very metallic-sounding clunk, I suspect a stabilizer bar or control arm bushing. I'll post the actual diagnosis next week.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Unrelated vehicle, but related problem. I had a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan that developed an "occasional" clunk when turning, hitting bumps, going around curves, etc. I changed the sway bar end links. Still heard the clunk. Sometimes a strut mount bearing can cause a clunk, so I had the struts replaced (I also changed the rear shocks). Still heard the clunk. The shop I use checked the ball joints, lower control arms, sway bar bushings (not the links...frame bushings) and was told everything was fine. Still heard the clunk. Now I'm beginning to obsess over the noise, so I take it the shop once again for them to check it out. A different tech said there was some slight, very slight play in the lower control arm bushings. I told the shop to just replace them since I was at my wits end.

Guess what? That fixed the clunk!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
263 Posts
Most of the time, clunk or thunk noise at low speed over bumps and cracks is from the sway bar links. They dont cost much (for quality aftermarked) and are easy to replace on the santa fe.

Im currently on my 3rd set over 270 000km on my 2013.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer ended up replacing the ball joint in the upper control arm and one of the stabilizer links had come loose.

No more clunk sound driving at slow speeds over bumps. It was covered under warranty ('17 SF Sport) although they didn't indicate if it was under the mfg. or Tricare warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts