Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My window made a clunk and now the glass dropped to the bottom of the door. Are there any step by step instructions on how to replace this? Does the whole panel have to be replaced with the cables on it? It's a 2007 sonata 3.3

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,953 Posts
Does the whole panel have to be replaced with the cables on it?
The window usually drops because the cable has snapped. If that's the case, then yes, the whole panel will need to be replaced.

BTW, I'm sure I've seen a video on youtube of someone replacing a Sonata regulator.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
All you have to do is remove the door panel, get it to where you can lift the glass up to unbolt it from the 2 lift points.. finish raise glass up to "closed position and while holding glass in place, tape it up with 2 strips of wide mask tape (inside pane - over top of door frame - and finish tape to outside pane)

now unplug speaker, door handle, and window motor

remove misc screws from perimeter of stamp metal panel to remove panel,, need to unplug harness from panel and door latch//

Have fun install new panel, holes too small for rivets needed to attach speaker (I ask for 4 of the Veloster door speaker rivets, and carefully open holes on panel to fit the Veloster rivets,, move window motor (carefully install and verify lift tabs even with 2 ports on panel so you can tighten lift clamp for glass.. put panel on door shell, route wiring,, set glass down on lift tabs and secure.. BTW,, rubber plugs from old panel wont fit new panel.. another quality Hyundai part change and not supply new to make new install proper, same for holes for snap wire harness clamps back,, new panel has round holes in it, old was oval,, may or may not come with new wire bands

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats why i was going to get this one: [ame]https://www.amazon.ca/Dorman-749-320-Replacement-Regulator-Hyundai/dp/B003SZ8024/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1527890935&vehicle=2007-3-21-13--1-6-5-7989-2572-1-1-2417--1-0&sr=1-2&keywords=window%2Bregulator&th=1[/ame]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All you have to do is remove the door panel, get it to where you can lift the glass up to unbolt it from the 2 lift points.. finish raise glass up to "closed position and while holding glass in place, tape it up with 2 strips of wide mask tape (inside pane - over top of door frame - and finish tape to outside pane)

remove misc screws from perimeter of stamp metal panel to remove panel,, need to unplug harness from panel and door latch//

Have fun install new panel, holes too small for rivets needed to attach speaker (I ask for 4 of the Veloster door speaker rivets, and carefully open holes on panel to fit the Veloster rivets,, move window motor (carefully install and verify lift tabs even with 2 ports on panel so you can tighten lift clamp for glass.. put panel on door shell, route wiring,, set glass down on lift tabs and secure.. BTW,, rubber plugs from old panel wont fit new panel.. another quality Hyundai part change and not supply new to make new install proper, same for holes for snap wire harness clamps back,, new panel has round holes in it, old was oval,, may or may not come with new wire bands
Did you have to drill out the speaker rivets?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Im still waiting for my regulator to come in so i have a couple of more questions. The window is dropped to the bottom of the door so im not sure how to raise it up to the top because the power wont lift it. Also where did you get the Veloster rivets?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Im still waiting for my regulator to come in so i have a couple of more questions.
Ok

The window is dropped to the bottom of the door so im not sure how to raise it up to the top because the power wont lift it.
That too easy,, wire coat hanger cut and made straight,, then fashion hook on 1 end,,, go down inside door via open window glass gap,, hook under the glass and carefully raise glass up to where you or helper can grab glass to make the openings to release glass from 2 lift tabs,, thenraise glass out of lifts to make closed,, might want to have helper hold lift tabs in place while you wiggle glass up,,,,,, and DONT DROP GLASS back into door,, get it closed and taped so it dont fall down

Also where did you get the Veloster rivets?
Easy, Hyundai dealer part counter,, you want the 4 rivet that hold door speaker to door on a VELOSTER,,, we keep couple bag of them, as you / we use 4 rivet per speaker,, they'll pass through speaker,, but good ole Hyundai punch holes too small on panel,, so need to open holes to allow rivet to fit,, dont over do it, or rivet wont secure proper
That was easy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i tried the coat hanger to get the window to come up. It seems like the wire catches but the window seems jammed and wont come up. The mechanic also tried to catch it but from the top this time and he said it seemed jammed also. Would there be any other way to get it to lift?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Remove window motor,, and cut the cables too.. get the cables right and should be able to lift the glass.

·
Registered
524 Posts
These window regulators cost around 50 bucks. Done this repair on an odyssey and the reason they fail is not because of the motor but the plastic components that's holding it together. It gets chewed up by the wire cable over time and eventually comes off its alignment and then the winder gets tangled up and chews the plastic from there also. Its a replace only repair kinda deal. Sucks, since the motor is still working strong.

Wow, rivets on speakers surely makes it repair unfriendly. I would put screws instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts