Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I could use some great minds. When I pull out of my driveway or turn, I can hear a clunking type noise from the front-passenger side.

Specs:
2012 Hyundai Elantra
127,000 miles
GLS
1.8L

I have recently replaced:
Lower control arm (full assembly, not just ball joint)
Sway bar
Outer tie rod end
Wheel bearings (for a separate issue)

There isn't any grease coming out of the shock/strut, so those seem fine.

What else could be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strut bar end links I'd bet. We had the same issue on our 2013, and several other reports here as that being the issue.
I realize my op says "sway bar" when I meant "sway bar link", which I believe is what you're referring to (let me know if not). That's been replaced already, still get the clunking.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Is it a clunk-clunk when turning the wheel back and forth about center? If so, it is likely the rubber steering bushing thingy (I forgot what it is called). I replaced mine a month ago. Issue solved.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey all,

I could use some great minds. When I pull out of my driveway or turn, I can hear a clunking type noise from the front-passenger side.

Specs:
2012 Hyundai Elantra
127,000 miles
GLS
1.8L

I have recently replaced:
Sway bar
Outer tie rod end
Wheel bearings (for a separate issue)

There isn't any grease coming out of the shock/strut, so those seem fine.

What else could be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance!
Could I please know why did you replace the wheel bearings?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same problem with my Elantra, but my theory is that rubber seal on the steering column. parts are cheap but it's a pain in an A$$ to replace it. there is a youtube video on how to replace it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a mechanic come and take a look, he said the struts needed to be replaced. I did them myself for about $300, brand new, all four of them, and there is no change at all.

The noise happens more when I hit dips, and not so much against bumps. The front suspension just feels like it's loose like it's gonna fall apart, whenever I hit a dip.

Recalling more, the noise began immediately after changing my wheel bearings. However, after that repair came:
Sway bar
Outer tie rod end
and now all struts.

The issue isn't particular to steering, so I am not suspicious of the coupler. Also, considering the timing of the noise, I'm not suspect to the upper strut bearing/cap but I'm not ruling that out.

Any other thoughts? Trying to avoid paying another diagnostics fee.

Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you ever get this sorted out? My 2012 is doing exactly what you described. 130k so I replaced the struts with the Moog strut, spring, and strut bearing assembly. They needed to be replaced anyways, but it made no difference in the noise when I hit bumps/potholes. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had a similar problem. Clicking noise on bumps and also when you viciously turn the wheel left to right to left when parked.

It was my passenger side strut mount. The bearing in the mount (allows wheel to turn) had gone bad, most likely from a giant pothole. Quick 30 minutes later and it was fixed.
OEM strut mount is really expensive, but you can find OEM ones on ebay for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My 2012 has done this since I purchased it (used).

Front struts were changed out to KYB at 60k miles. Didn't make a difference.

Sway bar end links then?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Did you check the strut mount bearings when replacing front struts?

Sure didn't. That sounds like the area where the noise is coming from. To replace these do I need to remove the entire strut, or can they be replaced from the top?

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts