Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I did my front breaks on my 2013 65k miles sonata this weekend. The front breaks pads were worn down to 10-15%. The rear breaks pad had almost no wear, maybe 80-90% left.

I could feel a lip on the rear rotors edge, so there was some wear. But I was expecting way more wear in the rear, since this was the first break job on this car.

I understand the front breaks do most of the work. My worry is that the rear breaks are not doing enough work.

How much wear should one expect in the back compared with the front pads?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Do you tend to break hard, or go down steep hills?
Yes the front brakes do most of the work under hard braking, but it's more balanced during gentle braking.
If you're worried the back brakes aren't working, pull the pads and make sure the calipers aren't frozen: push them in.
I really doubt there's any problem.
BTW, have you flushed the brake fluid? I recommend every 3 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you tend to break hard, or go down steep hills?
Yes the front brakes do most of the work under hard braking, but it's more balanced during gentle braking.
If you're worried the back brakes aren't working, pull the pads and make sure the calipers aren't frozen: push them in.
I really doubt there's any problem.
BTW, have you flushed the brake fluid? I recommend every 3 years.
Thanks! It's a hilly area so lots of down hill indeed. Now thinking about it, I just measured on google maps the road I take to get to the highway every day and it is almost a mile of downhill at 30mph limit.

I didn't flush the break fluid yet. I just refreshed the container with a baster, mostly because I was afraid of bleeding letting air in and then not knowing if the problem was the new breaks installation or the bleeding.

Now that I test driven it and bedded in the new breaks, I am planning to try to bleed all 4s next weekend. If I end up messing it up l'll know it is the bleed and not the new breaks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have 110,000 on my 2012 and have changed the front twice and still have the original brakes on the rear. My old Integera had 175000 miles on the original rear brakes before the engine blew up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts