Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Santa Fe only has 42000km and now the front brake pads (both sides) are 4mm left (around 10%) and they are loose. Is this normal? I've owned 4 cars and never this fast. So it shouldn't be my problem. I also had brake serviced once. I have complained noise from front end which may caused by brake. I also complained that I feel the brake was dragging my car once. What chance do I have I if I call Hyundai for some help? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
42k is a bit premature for pads to wear out, but it's not impossible given the right (ie: hard city driving) circumstances. You say that both sides are equally worn. If the rear brakes are also similarly worn then your driving style is likely to blame.

If the rear brakes are like new, however, it suggests a fault in the brake proportioning system resulting in the front brakes taking all the load. That's a 5/100 warranty item, which means Hyundai would hopefully pick up the cost of replacing the front brakes as part of the claim.

Let us know how you make out.

Don

·
Registered
464 Posts
My 2010 Santa Fe only has 42000km and now the front brake pads (both sides) are 4mm left (around 10%)

4mm left? that's about 35% left. not 10%.
New pads have 11~12mm thickness.

If 4mm mean 10% left, your pads was 40mm :eek:
Pads should look like 2x4 wood

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everybody. I just went to dealer for oil change and complain clunking noise from front. And the mechanic told me he found the brakes pads need to be replaced before he can continue the diagnosis. I called Hyundai Canada and they asked me to go back to dealer. That makes sense. I have the reason to suspect it's premature wear because all these brake problems I have had (making noise; pads are loose; brake booster replaced; stiff brake pedal).

Anyway, yesterday I took off the wheels and measured all the pads myself. The front are between 4-5 mm. The rear are around 6 mm. I think I should blame the traffic around my area. It's just getting worse and worse. So can I wait to replace all them together?

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Sounds like fairly even wear.... traffic to blame as you say.

If you can buy your own pads for $100 and swap them yourself, I'd do it soon. If paying the dealer you might wait until spring and get everything (including the necessary lubrication) done at the same time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah yeah...."traffic". Quit driving like an ass. I have 82,000 miles and have 2x more life left on the pads than you do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
At my 40k miles service the garage noted 50% worn on the front and 40% on the back. Pretty good for a heavy bus.

At my wife's Fiat 500 3rd service (32k miles) the main dealer reported 90% worn front and back, all need replacing quickly, will cost $450 and they could do it same day. We declined and took the car to an independent and he confirmed 60% worn front and 40% back. And some dealers object to being referred to as stealers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've owned 4 cars. My last car is Chrysler Sebring V6 and the pads are still 30% left when I sold it after 110,000km.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Excessive? maybe just my driving

Many years ago I had a 1990 Vauxhall Cavalier as a company car. I was only 21 or 22 at the time.

Service intervals on this car were 9000 miles. EVERY service it had new front pads.
Every other service it had new front disks and new rear brake shoes and every 4th service it ended up getting new rear brake drums too!

On top of that, Goodyear Eagle NCT tyres would last 15,000 miles on the front and 30,000 miles on the rear.

I think my Santa Fe having done 32,000 miles in two years is doing very well.

All brakes reported as OK for at least another 20,000 miles and the tyres still have 4-5mm of tread on them too.

Technology has improved a lot in the last 20 years. It must have as I still drive like a loon :eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, I have another question. How to determine it's time to replace the rotors? I checked with auto part store and the rotors are much more expensive. A set of pads costs $80 and each rotor costs $180.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Technology has improved a lot in the last 20 years. It must have as I still drive like a loon :eek:
Yikes! My Cavaliers would do 27,000 miles on front tyres and double that on the rear - even demonstrating the infamous power understeer on roundabouts. Front pads must have been at 36,000 because they needed new disks at 63,000 and the second set of pads never lasted as long as the fronts.

My last Cavalier was a 16v automatic so the front pads lasted 40,000 miles.

I guess that "loon" was an accurate description - not that I was any slouch!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Hi, I have another question. How to determine it's time to replace the rotors? I checked with auto part store and the rotors are much more expensive. A set of pads costs $80 and each rotor costs $180.
This can only be correctly determined by direct measurement of the thickness and run-out of the rotor. For that, you need to pull the rotors and apply the requisite measuring tools (dial caliper for thickness, and run-out gauge while rotating the rotor).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts