Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I traded my 2010 BMW 535 xi for an Azera tech package last week. The BMW was out of warranty. I want to retire next year and did not want the cloud of very high repair costs hanging over my head.

Some good and bad about the BMW. First it really is the ultimate driving machine. acceleration, cornering, ride, the list goes on. It is the best driving sedan I have ever driven. For 60K, it should be.

The bad news? I had originally bought a 2008. It was in the shop 16 times in 18 months. BMW ended up replacing it with a 2010 for no additional cost. They treated me right and I really wanted to go back there, but apparently these things lose value very very quickly. Anyway, it didn't work out.

So,enter Hyundai: My daughter bought an Elantra in June and I could not believe the quality of the build of that car. I could not help but look at them.

I looked at the Sonata, but with a little less equipment than the base Azera, the Sonata Limited was only a few thou less than the Azera. It looked to me like the delta between the two was very significant for a marginal increase.

The dealer let me take one for an entire weekend . While I should not compare a BMW 5 series to the Azera in the same breath, I was taken back by many of the features on the Azera that were better than my BMW.

First, the ride was smoother and quieter. The sound system was better. The seats, even though 12 way, were more comfortable than the 20 way power seats in the BMW ( that was one main reason to buy the BMW in first place. I have had too many back surgeries and those were the only seats that gave me enough adjustability for support.) The leather in the Azera feels nicer as well.

The nav system actually follows my voice commands.

Heated and cooled seats in front, heated in back.. only heated front in BMW.

Basic ergonomics: cupholders, IPOD hookup, console storage, sunglass storage, ease of operation of controls .. all better in the Azera.

Did I mention REGULAR GAS? In IL, there the gap between regular and premium is about 40 to 50 cents a gallon. Not a lot over a year really, but I just can't deal with that.

Split folding rear seats, Panoramic Moon roof.

Not gonna lie here, I miss the feel of the BMW, but there are so many big wins on the Azera that I feel like I owe Hyundai more money :)

It is not meant to drive like a sports sedan, but for a luxury sedan I can say with 100% confidence that I like the ride and handling better than the new Avalon and Lexus ES.

At the end of the day, I probably didn't use the elephant in the room performance capability of the BMW very often. For the most part, driving is straight line highway. I'll miss the few times I want to wring it out. But for the greatest percent of my driving, I'm really loving this Azera. The other comfort features really bring the value up for me.

Only two things I wish it had: 1) heated steering wheel, 2) auto dimming side mirrors.

One more thing.. the dual climate controls actually work on the azera. Had the BMW for 6 years and could never figure out how to make them work.

Hyundai has a really good value going here. I figure a comparably equipped Lexus ES goes for about $8k more on the sticker. When you consider the discount I got from Hyundai, the difference is more like 11 K.

I caved and got the Hyundai Factory extended plan for bumper to bumper 10 yr/100k. Won't be worrying in 4 years about a costly failure.

Even though most say the extended warranties are like betting against the house, this one was so good for the cost, I could not resist. I'll sleep well because of it.

Never thought I'd say it was a happy day going from a BMW to an Azera… but I'm feeling a little like I got away with something that should be illegal.

Very happy with my choice.

Best ,

Jeff

·
Registered
226 Posts
We feel your excitement, now how about a few of the basics, color of car, interior color? The only thing I miss on the azera as compared to the sonata is paddle shift from steering wheel. I love this feature on my 13 2.0T sonata. I find it so easy to use rather than moving hand down to shift lever as in azera. I am also very happy with gas mileage (31.9) on recent drive through the hills in Tennessee. The azera has so many nice features that a person would pay extra for in any other make/model car.
Glad to have you on this forum, you will find a lot of information that will be of help here.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I happen to agree. I had two Azera's a 06 which I liked very much and now the 13 Azera with the tech package. The 06 had some issues yet the car was solid the ride was not. The 13 has it all going strong, nice ride, quiet, good performance, uses regular gas a big plus, great sound system, nice heated seats, great heating system, easy to use systems, large trunk, good lines, just a very attractive automobile.

No matter where I go, where I park, or just sitting at a light people look at my car and say another Sonata...no Azera who makes that? When I was at the dealer a few weeks ago a lady was checking out my car. When I was in the waiting room she came up and said is that your Beige car out there? Yes I said in for a oil change today. She said that is one pretty car how do you like it. I said I love my car. She had a old Sonata. I said that car has everything I always wanted and more and could be the best car I have ever owned and I had a few. She said how much is it. I said it stickered at $38,800 but I got a good deal on it here for under $33,000. She said that she was going into the showroom and check one out. I said you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice synopsis. I went from a 535I to a Sonata and then to the new generation Azera. We also owned a first generation Azera sometime prior to the BMW. Spot on comments - our BMW also loved its visits to the shop. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Brother in law has had a few BMW's , recently purchased a loaded Sorrento.

Service costs got too high he said; if you really need a car that handles well at 100 mph then they make sense.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi Badabing11 and welcome to the forum!! When you say auto dimming side mirrors you are not referring to tilt down function when you shift reverse??

·
Registered
660 Posts
Nice write-up and comparison.

Since I didn't go for a car comparable to my '11 Z4, I can't say I am having your experience. I traded in my BMW so that I could get my daughter a car and get her on her way to College. I bought her a Accent and I have an Elantra GT. For the price, they are both great cars and they will be paid for within 12 mos., but a Z4, GT is not. Those of us that have been fortunate enough to have driven the Ultimate Driving Machine understand that the BMW is just that. I also owned a '10 M3. As was sort of mentioned above, it is great if you have the Autobahn right off your driveway. The Z4 was a lot more reasonable and I can hardly wait to get back in one.
As for the expensive maintenance, the first 4 years are free. I take good care of my vehicles, so I figure it will still run well for another 2-4 years without much worry. Now that I am retired, I may just budget in a lease plan and never have to deal with maintenance costs.
I am 100% disabled from a back injury in the Marines. The BMW has always supported my back better than any other car. That's what got me into one.
I have enjoyed modding my GT and do enjoy it. I've added more lumbar support to make the seat tolerable, but no long drives for me.
Anyways, welcome to the Hyundai forum. There are a lot of good folks here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Badabing11 and welcome to the forum!! When you say auto dimming side mirrors you are not referring to tilt down function when you shift reverse??
carlos,

When I refer to auto dimming mirrors , I mean they work the same as the rear view mirror does at night . When the lights hit them, they dim the brightness so you don't get blinded . Some like it some don't .

Jim , dead right about the 100 mph thing. A BMW will cruise like that all day and feel like you are doing 70. It's fun for a kick now and then, but I'm over that.

Heypal, same thing happens to me with the unsolicited comments . A young couple saw it in a gas station yesterday and ended up taking the grand tour. They were dumbfounded that they had never seen or heard of one. They were VERY impressed.

I ended up with metallic grey with charcoal interior. I have bought silver cars exclusively for the last 25 years. Wife was going to have issues with another silver, saying I'm behaving like an old man , so I took the leap.. And came home with dark grey metallic :). Baby steps ....

I have not seen a color combo u don't like in this car.

A few questions tho,
1) I had it in light snow the other day and things seemed a little dicey. Maybe it is cause I just came off of the best AWD ( IMHO ) out there in the BMW. How are others reacting to snow handling?

2) my mpg is a bit shy of targets. I see a lot if folks doing really well here with mileage. My daughters Elantra took 1200 miles and then there was a 4 mpg jump in economy . Does mpg improve on azera after a break in?

I was originally feather footing it to try to keep milage up. I'm finding it is improving some by just driving normal habits and not babying
3) does hyundai use synthetic oils on oil changes? If not, will they upon request?
I'm old school, 3000 mi on fossil lube 7000 on synthetic .

Last, thanks to all for the warm welcome. I have learned a lot lurking here for the last few months, thank you for that

Best regards

Jeff

·
Registered
410 Posts
My dealer recommended synthetic when I did my first oil change, I would have asked for it he hadn't brought it up. My milage is a little shy too and varies a lot, does better with eco on. It's winter and cold here now and I find all my cars get worse milage in winter.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Badabing: Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I love to hear others' experiences coming from other kinds of cars. I like reading these better than a lot of car reviews.

As for the car mileage, I've had my car for almost 10 months now. I drive mainly city, stop and go with an occasional freeway. Initially I would once in a while get a tank where I only averaged 17-18 mpg which I thought was pretty low. But after maybe 3 months? I noticed I now get pretty consistently around 21 mpg with my mixed but predominately city driving and I'm pretty happy with that. And I drive it on Normal, not Eco.

So yes, I think it gets better after being broken in a bit.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think for the snow driving you will have to invest in different tires. I have heard MANY people say that basically every tire that comes stock with any Hyundai/Kia is not good in snow. At all.

·
Registered
301 Posts
How much did you pay for that warranty?

Hi all,

I traded my 2010 BMW 535 xi for an Azera tech package last week. The BMW was out of warranty. I want to retire next year and did not want the cloud of very high repair costs hanging over my head.

Some good and bad about the BMW. First it really is the ultimate driving machine. acceleration, cornering, ride, the list goes on. It is the best driving sedan I have ever driven. For 60K, it should be.

The bad news? I had originally bought a 2008. It was in the shop 16 times in 18 months. BMW ended up replacing it with a 2010 for no additional cost. They treated me right and I really wanted to go back there, but apparently these things lose value very very quickly. Anyway, it didn't work out.

So,enter Hyundai: My daughter bought an Elantra in June and I could not believe the quality of the build of that car. I could not help but look at them.

I looked at the Sonata, but with a little less equipment than the base Azera, the Sonata Limited was only a few thou less than the Azera. It looked to me like the delta between the two was very significant for a marginal increase.

The dealer let me take one for an entire weekend . While I should not compare a BMW 5 series to the Azera in the same breath, I was taken back by many of the features on the Azera that were better than my BMW.

First, the ride was smoother and quieter. The sound system was better. The seats, even though 12 way, were more comfortable than the 20 way power seats in the BMW ( that was one main reason to buy the BMW in first place. I have had too many back surgeries and those were the only seats that gave me enough adjustability for support.) The leather in the Azera feels nicer as well.

The nav system actually follows my voice commands.

Heated and cooled seats in front, heated in back.. only heated front in BMW.

Basic ergonomics: cupholders, IPOD hookup, console storage, sunglass storage, ease of operation of controls .. all better in the Azera.

Did I mention REGULAR GAS? In IL, there the gap between regular and premium is about 40 to 50 cents a gallon. Not a lot over a year really, but I just can't deal with that.

Split folding rear seats, Panoramic Moon roof.

Not gonna lie here, I miss the feel of the BMW, but there are so many big wins on the Azera that I feel like I owe Hyundai more money :)

It is not meant to drive like a sports sedan, but for a luxury sedan I can say with 100% confidence that I like the ride and handling better than the new Avalon and Lexus ES.

At the end of the day, I probably didn't use the elephant in the room performance capability of the BMW very often. For the most part, driving is straight line highway. I'll miss the few times I want to wring it out. But for the greatest percent of my driving, I'm really loving this Azera. The other comfort features really bring the value up for me.

Only two things I wish it had: 1) heated steering wheel, 2) auto dimming side mirrors.

One more thing.. the dual climate controls actually work on the azera. Had the BMW for 6 years and could never figure out how to make them work.

Hyundai has a really good value going here. I figure a comparably equipped Lexus ES goes for about $8k more on the sticker. When you consider the discount I got from Hyundai, the difference is more like 11 K.

I caved and got the Hyundai Factory extended plan for bumper to bumper 10 yr/100k. Won't be worrying in 4 years about a costly failure.

Even though most say the extended warranties are like betting against the house, this one was so good for the cost, I could not resist. I'll sleep well because of it.

Never thought I'd say it was a happy day going from a BMW to an Azera… but I'm feeling a little like I got away with something that should be illegal.

Very happy with my choice.

Best ,

Jeff

·
Registered
357 Posts
Badabing,

Thanks for sharing your insight and history on your previous vehicle (your BMW) and then comparing that to the Azera - it really gives a good perspective, especially when someone comes along and says a car that's half the cost of a $70k car is still quite impressive.

I absolutely love the drive and feel of my Azera - it's just over a year old but I just love driving it around. I still get a little thrill when I get on that on-ramp and merge onto the freeway -- the nimbleness and pick-up just feels so smooth and effortless.

I recently set the MPG calculator to reset every time I fill the tank, just to get an idea of what I am getting. I do mostly city/commute driving, 9 miles each way to work, and I seem to be averaging 22-24mpg. Compared to my Jeep Liberty getting 16-18, this is a significant jump.

Lastly, welcome to the Hyundai forums!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I can't speak to PR but I priced the extended warranty for my Azera and it was really pricey compared to the extended warranty I had on my Toyota Avalon. Cost several times as much.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I also want to know the price of the extended warranty ??
Usually I pass on any kind of extended warranties. However, in this case, since the car is so technologically advanced and has more electronic components than a mechanical ones, and they covered only for 3 years/36k mi, I considered to have my car covered with an ext. warranty for additional $800. Have no regrets so far.:D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I found a place online that is selling the official Hyundai Azera factory extended warranty and was quoted a price a bumper to bumper 5 year 60,000 miles for $1000 with $100 deductible. Other time/milage combinations are available. Not sure I will spring for this or not yet. The cost of repairing all the electronic stuff is of some concern.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found a place online that is selling the official Hyundai Azera factory extended warranty and was quoted a price a bumper to bumper 5 year 60,000 miles for $1000 with $100 deductible. Other time/milage combinations are available. Not sure I will spring for this or not yet. The cost of repairing all the electronic stuff is of some concern.
I have 10 yr , 100k bumper to bumper Hyundai Warranty. I might have over paid, but it was about $1700 from the dealer. I never buy these things but $170 / yr seemed cheap to me.

For those that don't subscribe to the principles of the extended warranty, please don't judge me. I'm just trying to help a fellow figure out if he is getting a deal that satisfies his needs.

Doughh, for what it is worth, the entire nab system needed to be replaced on my BMW. All of the electronic controls for the entire car went through it. It was under warranty, but the dealer charge to BMW was in the range of $7k… Yeah, since then I sweat the electronics too. Albeit Hyundai probably would be a lot less.

Best of luck on your choices,

Jeff

·
Registered
301 Posts
Do you care to share the link?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts