Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Chris. New to the forum had a 03 Tiburon GT when I was younger, but don't remember if I was registered on the forum then. I am back studying a masters degree and got a free 97 X3, but it hasn't been moved in over a year. Was wondering some advice on a couple things more specific to this model. Is there an opening below the car to drain the gas from the gas tank? or do I have to do it from under the rear seat? The clutch drops straight to the floor, would this be because there is no pressure in the cylinder? I could come back to that when I get it started. Finally, I did some research on starting a car that has been sitting, does anyone have any opinions of putting some oil down where the spark plugs are and turning the motor over then? Other than that hoping a new battery and changing all fluids it should start right up. Seems to be in decent shape. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
sounds like you have some experience. i like where you're going with this.

draining the gas tank is a very good idea at this point. yes only way is to remove the back seat and pump it out. would not do this with the in tank pump since you want to completely drain. no fuel = overheated pump.

if it runs rough at first, give it some time to purge that old gas out of the lines. you may want to do that yourself. you can pull the line that supplies fuel to the fuel rail and turn the car to on, should engage the fuel pump. bleed a bit off. a mere 200mL should be overkill.

you're right on with the clutch. inspect the hydraulic lines and the clutch cylinder reservoir. you'll have a leak somewhere, seal may have dried out.

here's what i would do/check:

- replace plugs. who knows what deposits are on them

- inspect wires with multimeter and check for tears/cracks. replace them if you really want to, but i think you'll know pretty fast if that is necessary.

- oil change! if it hasn't been done that crap will be acidic now! get it out.

- consider same with trans oil. at the very least inspect it. level ground, pull fill plug, stick your finger in. should be near to that level.

- putting oil down the cylinders is a good idea. the walls of the cylinders will have no oil film at this point. burning oil is not ideal, but better than burning out the rings. hopefully a one time thing;)

- check your brakes. see they're not seized.

- finally, expect things to go wrong. it's been sitting for a while and parts can bind up.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
A year isn't really that bad sitting. Honestly it's a free car so I would grab a new battery and fill a 5 gallon gas can and crank her up. A bottle of techron probably won't hurt either. Once you get the engine warm it's time to change the oil. I would probably do a second oil change in a month or 1k miles. Coolant also likely needs to be changed and check other fluids, belts, and hoses.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
- putting oil down the cylinders is a good idea. the walls of the cylinders will have no oil film at this point. burning oil is not ideal, but better than burning out the rings. hopefully a one time thing;)

- check your brakes. see they're not seized.

- finally, expect things to go wrong. it's been sitting for a while and parts can bind up.
This is something I haven't done before, how much oil would be necessary? probably just a little bit?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
probably just a little squirt from an oil can. you don't need much, don't want to flood the cylinders! the idea is just to give the cylinder walls a paper thin film. less than paper thin actually :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
probably just a little squirt from an oil can. you don't need much, don't want to flood the cylinders! the idea is just to give the cylinder walls a paper thin film. less than paper thin actually :p
ok cool thanks.

Got the oil and coolant changed. Drained the gas out, no signs of rust. Checked the trans fluid. When I took the filler plug out the fluid started to drip out so it might be a little full? It should be at the base of the plug. Is it okay to leave it as is? the fluid seemed clean. the rest of the lines looked to be in good shape, no significant rust on the car. The clutch resevoir is completely dry so will fill that up, I didnt see anywhere it would be leaking from. Other than that hopefully I can get it running tomorrow

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
nah that trans is fine. overfilling isn't really such a big issue with a manual trans - its a bunch of gears in an oil bath. it is not a pressurized system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help zero_gravity.

Tried to jump it today... no luck. Doesnt seem to be getting enough power. It doesnt turn over just a split second where it wants to crank then dies. Do you think the battery is just completely dead? my friends battery is a lot smaller maybe its just not enough. Or could it be anything else? starter?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
just pull the battery and take it into the parts store. get them to test it for you. no sense in shelling out for a new battery if you're not sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So good news, got a new battery and the car started right up... the motor seems to be running decent. Haven't gotten it to move yet though. The shifter doesn't move when the car is on(only when its off) and there is no pressure in the clutch pedal. The reservoir was dry after i filled it up so definitely a leak somewhere. Does replacing the slave cylinder first then possibly the master cylinder sound like it will fix the problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep slave cylinder was leaking... about halfway out now... will be getting a new one in a day or two and will bleed the system and see how that goes

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
nice :) the fact that the clutch wasn't being disengaged when you hit the pedal is what was causing your shifter not to move.

sounds like you're getting off easy with that old car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to the wreckers and pulled out the best looking slave cylinder they had, put it in and bled the clutch and noticed the pressure in the pedal immediately. Took the car out for its first ride in over a year, motor even sounds better than when i ran it the other day. With parts and a battery cost me about 270. The hardest part was finding tools and rides. Thanks to everyone who posted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts