Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I never, okay...rarely, take my car to anyone for service work. I've changed timing belts, water pumps, ball joints and more on the 5 different Hyundai cars we've owned. For the most part, I can fix anything that breaks on these cars with help from this forum and the many written and video sources available on the interweb. No other man's dirty hands on my cars!

A few months ago, Hyundai seduced me with promise of a free oil change (and free Starbucks coffee) in order to get the latest recall work done on my 2012 Sonata. Foolish me. Anyway, I did enjoy the free coffee and kicked tires on the new shiny cars in the showroom. Yesterday it was warm and the Sonata needed an oil change. I had 45 minutes in the late afternoon to get the job done and I can usually do the work in less time. Yesterday was different. After jacking the car up and putting on jack stands, I pulled the oil drain plug and let the old oil flow. Then I tried to remove the oil filter. I usually remove the filter with my gloved hands with some effort, but this one wouldn't budge. So, I got my filter end-cap socket tool and ratchet and placed it on the end of the filter via the hole in the bottom engine cover. I applied pressure to the ratchet and broke the end-cap socket tool! Next I tried to slip a band type oil filter wrench onto the filter and get some leverage on the tool - couldn't do it. About now I'm getting really annoyed for taking my car to someone who would tighten the filter in such a way. I ended up removing the bottom engine cover in order to get my band type oil filter onto the filter. Oh, and add in some rusted fasteners to increase my irritation. Even with a quality filter wrench, I was sweating and grunting before it finally came loose. Upon closer inspection, the ape who installed this filter tightened it so much they scored the oil filter seat on the engine with the metal of the filter. Thankfully, this completely circular scoring mark is outside of where the gasket seats onto the engine. Finally, installed filter and oil and then reinstalled the freaking engine cover finishing 2 hours later than I anticipated.

There is a reason I don't let people work on my vehicles. I just had to revalidate my rule again yesterday.

Free oil change? Never again.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Plews used to make these...I'm lucky enough to have one. There are knock-offs good and bad.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Unfortunately, I think dealers put untrained goobers on oil changes and leave the repairs to trained experts. But to tighten it to the point that the body of the filter made contact with the engine is almost unbelievable. Glad you got it off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had my own idiot tech experience. Went in for a free oil change, as part of my 2 years of free oil changes negotiated with my purchase, and came out with the engine running louder than usual. I drove for about a mile or so before pulling over to look under the hood.

The oil filter cap wasn't even on!

The incompetence and carelessness is very annoying. Now, I avoid the stealership at all costs except for recall and warranty work.

Nothing is "free" in life.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I got experience changing the oil cooler if you need to replace it 😁. Some idiot tech crushed one of the connections during coolant service many miles ago which further corroded things and eventually led to failure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, at least I'm not alone in my distain of the way some dealerships conduct maintenance. That said, my dealer did a very good job installing the new engine in our 2015 Elantra (under warranty).

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I've only let the dealership touch my car on the first timing belt change(2003 santa fe) and it hasn't been there since(185k miles). I've done all repairs and maintenance since then. So much easier to sleep at night knowing the repair was done right.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I know the feeling. I was stupid like whoever replaced your filter once. I did not hand tighten it, I used one of those banded filter wrenches. Stupid me, next time we changed the oil my father broke a hole through the filter trying to remove it.

It only takes one mistake. But all seasoned mechanics should know better.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The cause is they don't want to pay a decent wage so you get what you pay for. The unfortunate thing is the price the dealers charge. Most here are between $150 to $250 per hour. Not bad for putting a first or second year apprentice on your car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I never brought my 2012 GLS to any Hyundai dealer for any regular maintenance, but, I only brought to them for replacement of warranty parts and factory safety recalls. Other than that, I do it myself such as oil changes, brake pads/rotor, coolant flush/top-ups, tie rods & tie rod ends, stabilizer links (front and rear), rear shocks, bulbs, steering coupler and etc....

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The one time I let the dealer do an oil change on my new Toyota Tundra, (also complementary) they overfilled it by more than 1 quart and cross threaded the under engine cover bolts. Probably jammed them in with a pneumatic ratchet. That was in 2001, never been back, or let anyone else change oil on any vehicles i own. I fixed the oil level, chased the threads on the chassis and bought new bolts. Free my ass.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts