Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my four wheel drive indication comes on when i go for long drives? this was after i changed my back wheels to a little bigger size. My front wheels are a lil smaller.. is this normal or should i get it checked.. thanks...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Many four wheel drive systems do not like different/uneven wheel rolling circumferences.

One can add different size wheels/tires vs OE, but one has to keep the rolling circumference **** close. Many cars with 'staggered size' wheels and tires used diff sizes and profiles for front vs rear tires, to keep that 'wheel diameter' and rolling circumference equal, of very close to equal.

Good site for checking out your tire dimensions:
Tire size calculator

Plug in one row of data, as they tell you to, and
2nd row of rear tire data and it will show your tire dimensions...not exact as tires have variations, but close.

My guess is your your rear tires have much less rpms per mile vs the front tires, the FWD clutches and electronics sense it, and don't 'like it'. Hope you haven't screwed up your FWD power transfer and driveline.
GL, mD

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had to replace the rear tires on my 2014 Tucson, AWD, base model, 2 L engine. My original tires were 225 60 17. The tire company replaced them with 225 65 17 and the transaxle went snakey! Vibration, noise and clunking. To confirm this, I put my 4 winter tires back on and the problem went away. According to the website mentioned in a post above to find wheel dimension differences, etc, the diameter of the new tires was 20 mm larger. I think it is safe to say that all 4 should be changed at the same time!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update!

I had to replace the rear tires on my 2014 Tucson, AWD, base model, 2 L engine. My original tires were 225 60 17. The tire company replaced them with 225 65 17 and the transaxle went snakey! Vibration, noise and clunking. To confirm this, I put my 4 winter tires back on and the problem went away. According to the website mentioned in a post above to find wheel dimension differences, etc, the diameter of the new tires was 20 mm larger. I think it is safe to say that all 4 should be changed at the same time!
Four new tires cured the problem! Conclusion: never mix tire brands! Solution: just throw $$$ at the problem!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts