Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUIDZAvVEYw

Video Description

Driving around 40mph on a straight stretch. All of the sudden the steering wheel whipped out of my hands and in a split second I was in the oncoming lane! I had broken finger nails frantically trying to get a good hold on the
wheel. I was pulling as hard as I could that my body was off of the
seat. The whole time, the steering wheel was shaking which sounded like a muffled jackhammer and jerking to the left. It took all of my strength to get it back over and to keep it in the right lane. This struggle lasted the distance of
around 6 car lengths. Finally in park, we were shocked to see the wheel
was still jerking. My husband asked my son to use the cell phone to
video the wheel. Thank God we didn't hit anyone. Just think of what could have happened if I had been going faster, or if I was in a high traffic area which is where we were heading. This was terrifying! The car only had just over 300 miles on it. We had a tow-truck take it back to the dealer. It was the 7th and last day I will ever drive a Hyundai. This has been reported.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Other than an obvious steering wheel twitch, the video proves nothing. In fact, the steering wheel can still be fully and freely moved. This should be looked into in either event. 

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (TheMoose @ Jun 30 2010, 08:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337602
Other than an obvious steering wheel twitch, the video proves nothing. In fact, the steering wheel can still be fully and freely moved. This should be looked into in either event. 

That being true the description is believable and I'm pretty sure it happened.

·
Registered
817 Posts
QUOTE (arruda89 @ Jun 30 2010, 08:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337607
That being true the description is believable and I'm pretty sure it happened.
Perhaps.

But, do we know whether anything may have happened to the car (other than some sort of defect) that may have caused or contributed to this alleged problem?

Just wondering.

In any event, if this is, or was, a problem I'm reasonably confident that it will be corrected quickly if it has a possibility of reoccurring on other or similar models. I doubt if any automobile manufacturer would want another "Toyota fiasco" on their hands.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Without knowing the full story I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regardless of the known issues of the sonata. I'm still going to purchase it. Just wanted everyone know of the issue and to be safe.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
It's a new fangled electric power steering module thingy. It's a sealed unit that's computer controlled. You don't service it, you just replace it. Here's the hmaservice description:

"EPS (Electric power steering, Column assist type) system uses an electric motor to assist the steering force and it is an engine operation independent steering system.
EPS control module controls the motor operation according to information received from the each sensor and CAN (Controller Area Network),
resulting in a more precise and timely control of steering assist than conventional engine-driven hydraulic systems.Components (Steering Angle Sensor, Torque Sensor, Fail-safe relay, etc.) of the EPS system are located inside the steering column & EPS unit assembly and the steering column & EPS unit assembly must not be disassemble to inspect or replace them."

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nothing to see and the video is worthless. Don't know what the point of that was.... :huh:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Okay - I take it back - I did see the "pulsing" toward the end. Pretty wicked - but the rest of the story?

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,286 Posts
All,

If you watch the video closely and look at the indicator light cluster, you can see the EPS light blinking. The car clearly has an EPS fault and should be serviced by the dealer.

Oh and to clarify something for all members, if you start the car, then shut off the engine and put the ignition back to run, the EPS motor will still run. This means that you can turn the wheels with little to no effort without the engine running. It is common with all EPS enabled cars and is not a fault.

However if the steering wheel is quivering and shaking like that, it does require dealer service.

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
Reminds me of the guy with the Lexus that improperly installed HID's and as they fired up his steering wheel would rapidly rock back and forth.  Unfortunately the video is long gone. :( http://jalopnik.com/5469487/toyotas-latest...steering-wheels

Back when the Toyota fiasco was peaking, I also read some complaints to NHTSA about EPS on Corollas where interference from cell phones receiving data would cause the wheel to pulsate.  

The marvels of modern technology! :mellow:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Cars have issues. The best they can do is illuminate and idiot light. We have no idea if that light was present prior to the major malfunction or not. Glad they didnt have any serious issues but I dont trust crap out on the internet unless I can view a whole story.

·
Registered
24 Posts
QUOTE (hoosieraccent @ Jun 30 2010, 10:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337667
Reminds me of the guy with the Lexus that improperly installed HID's and as they fired up his steering wheel would rapidly rock back and forth.  Unfortunately the video is long gone. :( http://jalopnik.com/5469487/toyotas-latest...steering-wheels

Back when the Toyota fiasco was peaking, I also read some complaints to NHTSA about EPS on Corollas where interference from cell phones receiving data would cause the wheel to pulsate.  

The marvels of modern technology! :mellow:

QUOTE (akhosha2 @ Jul 1 2010, 12:07 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337686
reminds me of this Lexus IS steering issue...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLHWgAmx3Iw
:thumbsup:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Jun 30 2010, 06:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337635
Nothing to see and the video is worthless. Don't know what the point of that was.... :huh:
I never saw it move more than an inch or two in either direction. From the way the owner of the video posted it, you'd think it was about ready to fly off the column. I'm calling B.S.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Jul 1 2010, 02:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337710
I never saw it move more than an inch or two in either direction. From the way the owner of the video posted it, you'd think it was about ready to fly off the column. I'm calling B.S.
Not only that, looked pretty easy to straighten out the wheel while it was pulsing, even though the car wasn't even moving. Doesn't seem like enough to cause the car to veer out of control requiring all her strength.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts