Hyundai Forums banner

Found it! 12v battery!

92K views 104 replies 47 participants last post by  vinnyg 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2012 Sonata Hybrid is going on 6 years old (purchased Jan 2012) Can you believe im still using the original 12v battery!
The heat down here in South FLorida is hard on batteries and I always get a new one after 4 years. Now that my OEM battery is nearing 6 years old I knew I had to replace it or risk getting stuck. ( the car still starts instantly, im curious how long the original battery would last if I kept it)

Side note: I discovered the reason the 12v battery lasted as long as it does. It doesnt actually start the car. The 12v only turns on the cars computer and runs the accessories when in ACC MODE.
The 270v hybrid battery actually starts the car.
Anyways, after a lot of searching on the intern-webzzz and this forum, the best I could find are "similar" batteries or a battery that needed a modified battery box to hold it stable.
I did a lot of searching at auto parts stores and again, few would show as "THIS FITS YOUR CAR" and the couple that did were $200+
No way im going to pay Hyundai $329 for a battery! YES! They want $329 for an OEM 12v battery! INSANITY!
I kept searching then discovered ADVANCE AUTO PARTS has one that says it will fit , is vented and its only $155.
Took a chance and ordered it and it not only fits , its the identical battery to my OEM battery in every way and even made in South Korea. ( the same 600CCA too)
Battery was only $155, and FREE SHIPPING! I found a code RETMENOT20 which saved me another $31 ! The core charge was $22 which I think you can get some core money back by returning to an auto parts store (im keeping mine to run a livewell pump) So even with tax and core charge I only paid $157 right to my door! O yeah, I recieved the battery 2 days after I ordered it! THANK YOU ADVANCE AUTO!

Here is the link. Im attaching a photo showing the battery installed. It even has the hole to attach the VENT HOSE!

Listed on website as AUTOCRAFT GOLD BATTERY-GOLD ATOCF

[https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...utm_campaign=confirmation&utm_content=general

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
#6 ·
I think that plug on top of the battery is an external ambient temperature sensor, according to diagrams I have seen. I guess it monitors the battery or trunk temperature but not sure honestly.

#8 ·
If you order at Advance Auto, this is another code to get 20% off if you wish:
SCA1510.

I am still holding off because my battery still continues to check out fine for now. I had a friend with an original battery in his CRV that was over 10 years old and still working fine.

#7 ·
This is what is says on the dropdown on their site, which looks promising:

Fitment Notes
2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
OE Exact Fit; Non-BCI group size.; DIN/EN Size; Battery is vented to outside of vehicle.; Premium Battery Recommended - this vehicle is identified as having high electrical loads by a leading researcher; OE Spec: OE Group H6R; OE CCA 600; Battery Spec: 600 CCA

#9 ·
As an automaker, you'd purposely have to seriously make an effort to spec a battery that isn't available anywhere.

And, to make it worse, it has its +- on the opposite sides of an H6 battery, hence the H6R part number. DIN/EN aren't too common in the USA since we typically use BCI "GROUP" sizes. Corporate/purchasing genius got a bonu$ for that proprietary battery PN recommendation!

Its an AGM battery and if it isn't engaging an engine starter multiple times a day, it'll probably last a long long time as long as you don't run it dead.

This is when you take a tape measure, take some L/W/H dimensions and use ANY other available AGM that fits.

#11 · (Edited)
After thinking about it a while, I figured I would purchase this battery as it seems Skunk Ape has found the perfect battery for less than half the price. With 25% off and tax included, it came out to $150.28, but if I bring the core back I get $22 more back. My son uses the car daily now, commuting to school and work, and with winter approaching I figured I will just bite the bullet now instead of wait for a call during a snowstorm that the battery finally died. The only thing is that the OEM battery is still perfect as far as testing and real world operation goes, but it's been 77 months with it so I figured it's time. I ordered it 2 days ago and it arrived this afternoon all wrapped up in plastic, with a small amount of fluid on top and some spilled in the box, but nothing substantial at all. I guess UPS must have had it sideways a bit during shipping, as there was no notice or sticker stating to keep it upright on the box. I'm trickle charging it now while waiting for my son to arrive home so I could install it either tonight or tomorrow. I will try to get some pics comparing the 2 before installing it.

#12 ·
I just installed the new battery, and as Skunk has promised, it is identical in all dimensions and visually as well. I took some pictures along the way and the install took maybe 15 minutes. The biggest pain is resetting the time, radio channels, and the other settings on the head unit. All in all, I think it is a smart investment and thanks again to the Skunk.

Attachments

#14 ·
Good info here!!! I might need to replace my battery soon. I have a lot of electronics plugged into an inverter and have found that it doesn't take much to drain the battery to a point where the car doesn't start. I need to remember to turn the inverter off at the end of the day. I didn't know the dealer is that proud of their battery!

#16 ·
Funny but I just went to Advance Auto to get my core charge back and the girl at the counter thought I was returning the brand new battery for a refund because it looked new to her. I explained it was just the core return. Then the gentleman next to her also told me that the battery looked new and asked if it was trunk mounted. I told him yes and it was in a Sonata hybrid for 6-1/2 years and it still is fine now but with winter coming I figured it was time. So with the discount, core, and tax included, it cost me around $127 out the door. Not bad considering some people were getting clobbered at the dealership for over $400!
Thanks again Skunkman for the heads up.

#17 ·
So with the discount, core, and tax included, it cost me around $127 out the door.
I did the battery swap yesterday. 15 minutes was spot on. Thanks, Skunk. The battery is a perfect match and like Vinny, I dropped off the old battery today for the core charge refund. $127 is much better than $400. My old battery was weak, but not dead yet, but with winter coming, and Skunk's find, now seemed like a good time to swap.

#18 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for all the valuable information shared here, I?ve order a battery for my car as well after seeing your positive feedback about your recent experience, I?ve paid $ 142.36 in total and can?t wait for the battery to arrive as the current battery is dead and I?ve been using booster cables to jump start my car during the last few days, I?ve decided not to do this anymore as this might affect the electrical system in the vehicle, so I parked it waiting for the new battery to use it again!

I?ve stopped at the dealership today and they confirmed that the battery price is $320 plus labor fees of $20 the total will be $340, they offered to wave the labor fees and I was like really!! At least try to show to your customers some real discount !!

While I?m there I asked if the 12 V battery is to start the car engine or only used for computer and accessories, they confirmed that it is starting the vehicle.

Will keep you posted once I receive and install the battery.

#19 ·
While I?m there I asked if the 12 V battery is to start the car engine or only used for computer and accessories, they confirmed that it is starting the vehicle.
On the contrary, the 12v doesn't start the engine. It's done by a Hybrid Starter-Generator, which is powered by 370V or whatever is the hybrid system voltage. This HSG also recharges the HV battery.

As witnessed here:
http://www.nfpa.org/~/media/files/t...uides/kia/sonata-erg--yfhev101-rev0.pdf?la=en

Also, this:

#20 ·
Why are the batteries 350 bucks at the dealer? That is crazy. I had to ask whether that was the hybrid battery or the little battery in the trunk. Now I have conflicting information on the battery and whether it starts the car. Thought I could trust the dealership...

Regardless thanks for all the information. A 2011 just now changing the battery is amazing!

I have a 2013 and they are telling me that the battery is bad. I thought well it has been 4yrs and a typical battery lasts 4-5yr. How do I test? Just attach it to a voltmeter or is it supposed to be under load?

Winter is coming and my wife and kids use the car primarily so don't want to leave them stranded.

Thanks!

#21 ·
Now I have conflicting information on the battery and whether it starts the car. Thought I could trust the dealership...
Well, the dealer is not TECHNICALLY lying because the car won't start if the 12v battery is dead. It is needed to turn on the electronics which must happen before the car can "start". However, the 12v battery doesn't "turn the engine over" as in a conventional car. So their answer to you is incomplete at best and deceptive at worst. :wink:

#24 ·
PHFTW, thanks for posting that cool animation on our cars hybrid system which also proves the 12V does not directly start the car. The 12V only turns on the computer system and it runs such things as the interior lighting and radio when in ACC mode.

My battery was almost 6 years old when I replaced it and it was working perfect when I did. If the 12volt battery actually started the car there is no way it would be lasting 6+ years like some of us here.
Think about it, when you drive the car is constantly shifting from EV to ICE. In stop & go traffic the battery would be starting the car dozens of times on just a short trip. If the 12V actually started the ICE there would be so much stress on the battery it would not last very long.

Anyway, I am very glad the battery is working out for everyone. That's what these forums are all about, helping each other.
Let us hope that Auto Zone keeps this one in stock for a while.

#27 ·
Yes, I just checked and I get the same message about it not being available for delivery too, although it now shows as in stock at my local store.
Maybe there is one in stock near you if you check?

#30 ·
My battery has been dying lately. I have a power supply attached to it for a printer and a few devices. I use them when the car running but sometimes leave the power supply on with the car off to let devices charge. It's been 3 years and 3 months. I walked out to a dead battery this morning (everything was off) and then I had to jump it when I left the store. Glad I've been carrying a jump box with me lately! I just ordered one for pickup at my local store. I received a 25% Black Friday discount -

SUBTOTAL $155.99
TOTAL SAVINGS -$39.00
CORE CHARGE $22.00
TAX $8.69
ORDER TOTAL $147.68

It will be $125.68 after I return the core. The car goes to the dealer for tires tomorrow (they actually have a decent price). They would have saw $ if the battery was dead!

#35 ·
Thank you so much for this information!
I called around to several dealerships and they were all charging between $329-$429 for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 12v car battery.

After finding your post. I found that one of my local CarQuest stores had it in stock! I ordered it and used the coupon code to save an additional $32 dollars.

MY total came to $163.69!!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Trent

#36 ·
Has anyone heard of a way you can bypass the Hybrid portion of the Sonata Hybrid so you don't have to buy another 270v Battery at the cost of $5000 from the Hyundai dealer? My 2011 Sonata Hybrid
just had the engine freeze up (and my car wasn't on the engine recall list of Sept 2015). My extended warranty is replacing it next week but my technician now says my hybrid battery has only 19% charge and he won't know if it has to be replaced until the engine is replaced...they can't charge the battery someway? I'm reporting the frozen engine to Hyundai...a lot of people have had the same problems with the engine freezing - metal in the oil.

#37 ·
If you're the original owner, your battery can be replaced under warranty. If you're just concerned about the battery having a low charge, the car will charge the battery itself as soon as you turn it on.

Is it not the Hyundai dealer doing the engine replacement?

#38 ·
We brought our 2011 Hybrid in last week for some recall work and they informed us that our 12V battery tested bad and they could put a new one in for $345. We hadn't had any problems but being over 7 years old we didn't want to take any chances. We found the H6R is hard to find. None of the local Advanced Autos had them. We found one in Sanford Maine and that worked out as we planned on visiting friend in Maine. We ordered online, got a 25% discount and even having to pay sales tax it came to $128 and change. It is an exact match to the original battery so it is a perfect fit. Thanks for posting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.