Hyundai Forums banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts
Anyone else have problems with keeping a good charge on this replacement battery? I bought it a year ago, and today I noticed it's only at 11.6 volts. Also had check charging system screen pop up today, and car wouldn't start.

Anyone else have problems with keeping a good charge on this replacement battery? I bought it a year ago, and today I noticed it's only at 11.6 volts. Also had check charging system screen pop up today, and car wouldn't start.
On my car the voltage shrink to 12.3-12.4 after 3-4 days (from fully charge). A week without driving it will be around 12.25-12.35. I suspect anti-theft system takes more energy than regular car. Or maybe my car has phantom drain issue/I forget to turn off something.

On my car the voltage shrink to 12.3-12.4 after 3-4 days (from fully charge). A week without driving it will be around 12.25-12.35. I suspect anti-theft system takes more energy than regular car. Or maybe my car has phantom drain issue/I forget to turn off something.
Thanks for sharing that, I must have a bad battery, I drove it for 4 hours the other day and the highest my charge got was 11.8 volts, I bought it last year. Good thing it has a 3 year warranty.

Have had my 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid for 5 years now. In Dec 2020 noticed that the charge on my battery was low. For example I would notice the cabin lights looked dim and a couple times the car would not start for a few tries. All symptoms of your standard car battery going bad in cold weather (well cold for Texas). Once the car started and the hybrid system took over the car would run fine.

I used earlier posts on this forum to find a replacement battery specs. Unfortunately neither Advance Auto parts or Autozone had the right batteries available. I managed to find this.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ttery-h6r/48rprmj/5632552/2011/hyundai/sonata

Has worked great with no problems for a month. Hope this helps.

My 2012 Sonata Hybrid is going on 6 years old (purchased Jan 2012) Can you believe im still using the original 12v battery!
The heat down here in South FLorida is hard on batteries and I always get a new one after 4 years. Now that my OEM battery is nearing 6 years old I knew I had to replace it or risk getting stuck. ( the car still starts instantly, im curious how long the original battery would last if I kept it)

Side note: I discovered the reason the 12v battery lasted as long as it does. It doesnt actually start the car. The 12v only turns on the cars computer and runs the accessories when in ACC MODE.
The 270v hybrid battery actually starts the car.
Anyways, after a lot of searching on the intern-webzzz and this forum, the best I could find are "similar" batteries or a battery that needed a modified battery box to hold it stable.
I did a lot of searching at auto parts stores and again, few would show as "THIS FITS YOUR CAR" and the couple that did were $200+
No way im going to pay Hyundai $329 for a battery! YES! They want $329 for an OEM 12v battery! INSANITY!
I kept searching then discovered ADVANCE AUTO PARTS has one that says it will fit , is vented and its only $155.
Took a chance and ordered it and it not only fits , its the identical battery to my OEM battery in every way and even made in South Korea. ( the same 600CCA too)
Battery was only $155, and FREE SHIPPING! I found a code RETMENOT20 which saved me another $31 ! The core charge was $22 which I think you can get some core money back by returning to an auto parts store (im keeping mine to run a livewell pump) So even with tax and core charge I only paid $157 right to my door! O yeah, I recieved the battery 2 days after I ordered it! THANK YOU ADVANCE AUTO!

Here is the link. Im attaching a photo showing the battery installed. It even has the hole to attach the VENT HOSE!

Listed on website as AUTOCRAFT GOLD BATTERY-GOLD ATOCF

[Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
I just changed my 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid battery 124R, 78 amps, 3 yr warranty at the Hyundai Dealer for $180. ($210 - $30 coupon). Walmart had ran out of 124R MAXX battery, 110 amp, w/5 yrs warranty for $88. The only difference is the Hybrid 12v battery has a vent to prevent acid corrosion in the trunk.

When the 12V acc battery died, the car threw a tantrum, lighting up the 2013 Sonata Hybrid dash like a Christmas Tree, refused to turn off the alarm, refused to allow me to get into the car, found manual key and refused to allow engine start. It was very difficult to locate the manual key slot in the dark to open the trunk. it took 24-48 hrs of charging to start the car and get it to the dealer for a new battery.

My 2 other regular 2010 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD and Santa Fe GLS AWD can use the Walmart 124R with 110 amps made by Johnson Control In USA.

60-70% of all Batteries are made by Johnson Control. Including Hyundai, Toyota, Chevy, Ford, AutoZone, Walmart, etc. It’s just the sticker. ...and vent for Hybrid to prevent corrosion. Walmart does sell a plastic case with vent to prevent corrosion, $15.95.

My 2012 Sonata Hybrid is going on 6 years old (purchased Jan 2012) Can you believe im still using the original 12v battery!
The heat down here in South FLorida is hard on batteries and I always get a new one after 4 years. Now that my OEM battery is nearing 6 years old I knew I had to replace it or risk getting stuck. ( the car still starts instantly, im curious how long the original battery would last if I kept it)

Side note: I discovered the reason the 12v battery lasted as long as it does. It doesnt actually start the car. The 12v only turns on the cars computer and runs the accessories when in ACC MODE.
The 270v hybrid battery actually starts the car.
Anyways, after a lot of searching on the intern-webzzz and this forum, the best I could find are "similar" batteries or a battery that needed a modified battery box to hold it stable.
I did a lot of searching at auto parts stores and again, few would show as "THIS FITS YOUR CAR" and the couple that did were $200+
No way im going to pay Hyundai $329 for a battery! YES! They want $329 for an OEM 12v battery! INSANITY!
I kept searching then discovered ADVANCE AUTO PARTS has one that says it will fit , is vented and its only $155.
Took a chance and ordered it and it not only fits , its the identical battery to my OEM battery in every way and even made in South Korea. ( the same 600CCA too)
Battery was only $155, and FREE SHIPPING! I found a code RETMENOT20 which saved me another $31 ! The core charge was $22 which I think you can get some core money back by returning to an auto parts store (im keeping mine to run a livewell pump) So even with tax and core charge I only paid $157 right to my door! O yeah, I recieved the battery 2 days after I ordered it! THANK YOU ADVANCE AUTO!

Here is the link. Im attaching a photo showing the battery installed. It even has the hole to attach the VENT HOSE!

Listed on website as AUTOCRAFT GOLD BATTERY-GOLD ATOCF

[https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...utm_campaign=confirmation&utm_content=general
Thank you for the info. The Hyundai Dealer where I bought the 2012 Sonata Hybrid in San Jose, CA looked me staright in the eye today, 4/19/2021 and quoted me $332 LOL. I told him they were nuts! I followed the link you posted and found the Die Hard AGM for $169.99 with core xchg old batt or $191.99 with no core xchg.

DieHard Gold Battery, Group Size H6R, 600 CCA

3 YR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...irmation-_-General&utm_content=89591&irgwc=1#

Thank you for the info. The Hyundai Dealer where I bought the 2012 Sonata Hybrid in San Jose, CA looked me staright in the eye today, 4/19/2021 and quoted me $332 LOL. I told him they were nuts! I followed the link you posted and found the Die Hard AGM for $169.99 with core xchg old batt or $191.99 with no core xchg.

DieHard Gold Battery, Group Size H6R, 600 CCA

3 YR REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE

Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
We notice a dramatic improvement in MPG after changing the rear 12tire v battery.

Have had my 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid for 5 years now. In Dec 2020 noticed that the charge on my battery was low. For example I would notice the cabin lights looked dim and a couple times the car would not start for a few tries. All symptoms of your standard car battery going bad in cold weather (well cold for Texas). Once the car started and the hybrid system took over the car would run fine.

I used earlier posts on this forum to find a replacement battery specs. Unfortunately neither Advance Auto parts or Autozone had the right batteries available. I managed to find this.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ttery-h6r/48rprmj/5632552/2011/hyundai/sonata

Has worked great with no problems for a month. Hope this helps.
I just bought and installed this too. It's also made in Korea, had a 2/21 label, and physically identical to AA's, including vent for hose. Replaced battery was labeled Delkor.

Hello, I'm new here. I am thinking of replacing my 12v battery in my 2016 Kia Optima ( I know its not a Hyundai "per se") and want to thank this forum for helping me find a battery. I was quoted from the dealer $383 plus $70 labor to install. I am thinking of going with the "Interstate MTP-H6R". Their website even lists it as "Hybrid Auxiliary Battery".
Here is the question: Does this Interstate MTP-H6R battery have an allowance for the VENT TUBE ???? Thanks in advance.

Hello, I'm new here. I am thinking of replacing my 12v battery in my 2016 Kia Optima ( I know its not a Hyundai "per se") and want to thank this forum for helping me find a battery. I was quoted from the dealer $383 plus $70 labor to install. I am thinking of going with the "Interstate MTP-H6R". Their website even lists it as "Hybrid Auxiliary Battery".
Here is the question: Does this Interstate MTP-H6R battery have an allowance for the VENT TUBE ???? Thanks in advance.
Can't speak for that particular battery, but the H6R I got from Autozone has a hole for vent tube to plug in.

UPDATE:
I purchased the "Interstate MTP-H6R" from my local Interstate dealer $285 Canadian after giving my old battery. It seems to be almost an exact duplicate of the factory Kia / Hyundai battery.
The "Interstate MTP-H6R" is also made in Korea and has an allowance for the VENT TUBE on both sides of the battery. The vent on the negative side already had a plug in it and another plug was provided on the red protective cap that came on the positive terminal. Also on the protective cap was an little folded "installation instructions" paper describing the vented and non-vented applications. Installation was easy (there is a vid on youtube). The hold down bracket can be a pain to put back in as it has a tab that goes in a slot that is towards the fender. I simply bent the tab a bit with some pliers and had no issues reinstalling it. For those of you in Canada, Auto Value has this "Interstate MTP-H6R" on their website. The one I called did not have it in stock and it seems they do not carry it very often.
This whole adventure started when my key fob started acting up. The car would not lock or unlock, would not start, (had to push the start button with the key fob etc.)
Glad I got this done. I can drive the car with more confidence now and I did not pay the "Stealer" $383 plus $70 dollars to put it in.
My car: 2016 Kia Optima Hybrid EX
Do it if you need a new battery, it is easy.

Again here is the install video:

Thank you so much this post was very helpful for me, I purchased my Hybrid Hyundai Sonata 2012 brand new and just now the battery completely died, me being the original firts owner with an original battery which lasted 10 years WOW!!!
I went to Advance auto parts as you suggested, they had it in stock and they installed it for free in less than 15 minutes, now the price is $180 plus tax plus $22 core charge, but since they kept my old one I wasn't charged the extra cost, $195 total, the dealer price was $289 plus tax and it wasn't going to be done on the spot, 2 to 3 days they said, since it's the only car I have I couldn't afford to be without a car, autozone was going to still order it for me and they do not install it, same price though $180, I had to drive 30 minutes to get to Advance auto parts but it was worth the drive, thanks again
Bumper Gas Musical instrument accessory Font Machine

Just a footnote to add to observations above: my 2014 battery would loose sufficient voltage after about a week to ten idle days of that the car wouldn't start. A better quality battery is essential.

Thank you so much this post was very helpful for me, I purchased my Hybrid Hyundai Sonata 2012 brand new and just now the battery completely died, me being the original firts owner with an original battery which lasted 10 years WOW!!!
I went to Advance auto parts as you suggested, they had it in stock and they installed it for free in less than 15 minutes, now the price is $180 plus tax plus $22 core charge, but since they kept my old one I wasn't charged the extra cost, $195 total, the dealer price was $289 plus tax and it wasn't going to be done on the spot, 2 to 3 days they said, since it's the only car I have I couldn't afford to be without a car, autozone was going to still order it for me and they do not install it, same price though $180, I had to drive 30 minutes to get to Advance auto parts but it was worth the drive, thanks again View attachment 464583
Your original battery looks like it was replaced with a 2/17 model at some point?

Anyone know what the difference is between a H6 and an H6R? Finding an R version out where I am is rough but CTC has a H6 and is only 20 minutes away.
Thanks for the help!

a MILLION THANKS ok two hundred and seventy $$ worth of thanks for this post. Even five years later this worked. My battery died; went to pepboys and was told $489… like what??? I said **** no, went to google and found this forum. Did just as you said googled American auto parts. Got the battery with installation for $211. ( not gunna complain about a little inflation) thanks again.

[Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance
[/QUOTE]

Canada 🇨🇦
2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. The Canadian Tire Motormaster Eliminator AGM battery (010-3420-8) Group 34 fits no problem and is almost an exact fit. The length is about 10mm shorter. The width is identical. The height (most important) is exact after using the included adapter. The included adapter is just a plastic piece to carry the battery. Instructions say you can place the adapter at the bottom of the battery to add about 10mm to the height. This made it the exact required height. The negative and positive terminals of the new battery sits about 10mm higher but poses no issues. The only concern is the new battery has no vent holes to connect the tube to release the gas outside.

Since the car's negative and positive wiring harness has slack, the battery length and width probably can be +- 20mm. The height however should be exact (probably within +- 2mm). Otherwise, the apparatus holding the battery down will not work.

My original battery actually lasted 8 years 😮. After leaving the trunk light on for 24hrs, my old battery was completely drained. After recharging it, it was working fine again. It was 12.6V after charged. I used it for another month but decided it is best to get a new one.

Anyways, glad the group 34 worked. H6R is almost impossible to find. One shop quoted $460. The Eliminator battery cost $238 + $20 core. However, CT had a promo where I received $80 of GC back... so basically cost $160.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.