Hyundai Forums banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts
Where the heck can I get one of these batteries. Mine just went out!

No advanced auto parts for 100's of miles and they don't ship to home!

Any other sources? I've tried autozone, o'rilies, napa, costco, walmart.

Where the heck can I get one of these batteries. Mine just went out!

No advanced auto parts for 100's of miles and they don't ship to home!

Any other sources? I've tried autozone, o'rilies, napa, costco, walmart.
Let them handle shipping to store,, you just show up and pick it up

As an interim, you could buy one of those small jumper battery packs and just zap up the existing one when you need to start the car. Just make sure you charge it each day until the new battery arrives. And if the battery is not totally dead yet, be certain you know how to open the trunk with the key. Since it's rarely used a shot of spray lubricant in that keyhole wouldn't hurt.

What, I said there was no advanced auto parts store for hundreds of miles.

How can that be,, they everywhere here in my location..

How can that be,, they everywhere here in my location..
Actually nearest one is 101 miles away lol. We have NAPA, Autozone, and O'rilies all over the place.

After removing the battery that was installed there, it is a Interstate Group 34 battery, item #850241 from Costco.

It fits just fine, just the length is about 1 inch short, but height and width are right for the bracket. Also it has 2 slightly larger diameter vent hoses, instead of 1 vent hose like the OEM battery had.

Apparently the previous owner didn't attach the vent hose. I'm going to attach it, I just need to get some clear plastic hose and a couple little adapter fittings.

Here is the battery I bought: https://imgur.com/a/xgpHemH

Only $85 at Costco with 42 month free replacement warranty. So if you don't mind doing a little mod to the vent hoses, its probably a good cheap option that is readily available everywhere. I believe Group 34 is a common size.

Nice write-up, especially the fuse and vent considerations, and nice find on the battery as that may give other people an alternate source as well.

You noted in your other post titled "2013 Sonata Hybrid, dead lead acid battery" that the car's mileage went up as well and that you thought it might have been from cold weather or from not having to charge the old battery. The hybrid doesn't have an alternator as such. There is a DC-to-DC converter that uses the power from the high-voltage hybrid battery to charge the lead acid battery. More likely the lead-acid battery going dead and your disconnecting it caused the stored "learned" parameters in the car's computers to reset to their defaults. I've read a few other posts from people who have noticed something similar, so that's anecdotal.

Nice write-up, especially the fuse and vent considerations, and nice find on the battery as that may give other people an alternate source as well.

You noted in your other post titled "2013 Sonata Hybrid, dead lead acid battery" that the car's mileage went up as well and that you thought it might have been from cold weather or from not having to charge the old battery. The hybrid doesn't have an alternator as such. There is a DC-to-DC converter that uses the power from the high-voltage hybrid battery to charge the lead acid battery. More likely the lead-acid battery going dead and your disconnecting it caused the stored "learned" parameters in the car's computers to reset to their defaults. I've read a few other posts from people who have noticed something similar, so that's anecdotal.
Here is the deal, in the few days prior to the complete battery failure the car was starting the engine up immediately when I turned on the car. This never happened previously, and the car always drove for the first 100-200 yards out of my subdivision under electric power. So I believe what was happening is it was running the engine to charge the LiPo hybrid battery which in turn was charging the 12v lead battery through the DC-DC converter. And the fact that the lead battery had developed very high self discharge and couldn't support even small loads like headlights, meant the engine had to run a lot more to constantly charge and top off the battery.

I'm aware that when the battery is disconnected for a length of time that the ECU is reset and needs to re-learn and re-tune itself.

Got the Interstate MTP-H6R at the Kennesaw Atlanta-area store today, for $135 out the door. Dealer told me the battery was dead and wanted $400. It probably was weak, but I had no trouble starting the car. Decided to play it safe and replace.

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 12V battery dead last week, when I try to start up the car, and can not the startup, then the screen show check the brake warning was flashing and beeping at me. then I do not know the battery went dead. I thought there was a problem with the car's brakes or engine, I just call tow company pay $65 tow my car to the auto repair shop, my insurance not cover tow, the auto repair shop technician told me 12V battery has died, they search around the auto part shop then all out of stock, and they find one on Autozone.com
Duralast Gold Battery 124R-DLG Group Size 124R 700 CCA
The auto repair shop charged me $170 including tax.
Note: AutoZone shows: The part you selected DOES NOT FIT your vehicle
Autozone shows only fits Hyundai Sonata all model except hybrid
But it fits the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid

Well, the dealer is not TECHNICALLY lying because the car won't start if the 12v battery is dead. It is needed to turn on the electronics which must happen before the car can "start". However, the 12v battery doesn't "turn the engine over" as in a conventional car. So their answer to you is incomplete at best and deceptive at worst. 😉
I am curious, if what you say is true and the battery doesn't start the car, then why do they need a battery that requires 600CCA? That capacity seems would seem to be ridiculously over-rated and unnecessiarly expensive. I assumed the car battery in the trunk was for engine, computer, and car operations and the large battery was for hybrid operations to store energy from braking operations and dump it into the power train when accelerating.

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 12V battery dead last week, when I try to start up the car, and can not the startup, then the screen show check the brake warning was flashing and beeping at me. then I do not know the battery went dead. I thought there was a problem with the car's brakes or engine, I just call tow company pay $65 tow my car to the auto repair shop, my insurance not cover tow, the auto repair shop technician told me 12V battery has died, they search around the auto part shop then all out of stock, and they find one on Autozone.com
Duralast Gold Battery 124R-DLG Group Size 124R 700 CCA
The auto repair shop charged me $170 including tax.
Note: AutoZone shows: The part you selected DOES NOT FIT your vehicle
Autozone shows only fits Hyundai Sonata all model except hybrid
But it fits the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
View attachment 445265
It looks like this battery you suggested, is not in fact compatible. I see the vent tube off to the right in this picture and it is obviously not connected. That tube is to safely vent hydrogen gas outside the trunk to prevent explosion. You really shouldd install that vent in the proper battery.

I am curious, if what you say is true and the battery doesn't start the car, then why do they need a battery that requires 600CCA? That capacity seems would seem to be ridiculously over-rated and unnecessiarly expensive. I assumed the car battery in the trunk was for engine, computer, and car operations and the large battery was for hybrid operations to store energy from braking operations and dump it into the power train when accelerating.
Indeed, the engine is started by the super powerful generator connected to the engine by the serpentine belt. Somewhere on youtube you can find the Hyundai hybrid system functions explained.

Most large cities in Canada have battery dealers that sell "blemished" or "rebuilt" batteries. I've purchased perhaps 15 batteries from one of these dealers over the past 40 years without any problems. The last one was an H6R for my son's Cadillac CTS and I believe the price was $80 Canadian out the door. Something to consider...

Most large cities in Canada have battery dealers that sell "blemished" or "rebuilt" batteries. I've purchased perhaps 15 batteries from one of these dealers over the past 40 years without any problems. The last one was an H6R for my son's Cadillac CTS and I believe the price was $80 Canadian out the door. Something to consider...
I'm looking for an H6R battery here in Toronto. Do you have a link of where you got the rebuilt battery?

This place should work.

So my 2016 Sonata PH's battey has been dying over the last half a year. Which is a bit early, as the car is only 4 years old (4.5 now).

I've been trying to search for Autocraft Gold H6R, but can't find it. Advanced Autoparts now only stocks Diehard batteries. Not sure of their quality.

Autozone's Duralast doesn't seem to be available anywhere, and is not available to be shipped to any store.

I'm planning to go with the Interstate MTP-H6R that sells for $172 (plus tax) at Interstate dealers. It's not available through Costco.

Is that a good choice/better than Autocraftt/Diehard?

61 - 80 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.