Hyundai Forums banner
41 - 60 of 105 Posts
Has anyone heard of a way you can bypass the Hybrid portion of the Sonata Hybrid so you don't have to buy another 270v Battery at the cost of $5000 from the Hyundai dealer? My 2011 Sonata Hybrid
just had the engine freeze up (and my car wasn't on the engine recall list of Sept 2015). My extended warranty is replacing it next week but my technician now says my hybrid battery has only 19% charge and he won't know if it has to be replaced until the engine is replaced...they can't charge the battery someway? I'm reporting the frozen engine to Hyundai...a lot of people have had the same problems with the engine freezing - metal in the oil.

How many miles did yours have? Mine did that at 97000 miles, 2013 HSH.

i tried to get that battery from advance and they can no longer get it.
i went to go hiking this morning and the car would not go....the brake warning was flashing and beeping at me. then the battery went dead.
going to walmart with the dead battery to match something up that fits.

I am not gonna be at the mercy of hyundai for a stinkin battery!

It seems Interstate makes an H6R battery, which is the size needed for the hybrid:

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/mtp-h6r
got one from the interstate warehouse this afternoon. it was about 169 dollars with tax.

the past few weeks my mileage was down below 30 mpg average, i thought it was the cold weather. nope, it was the engine running more than it needed to to charge the 12v battery that was losing charge. my average is at 41.3mpg where it would have been 28.8 mpg twenty miles of mixed driving after a reset.

need your inputs guys, I had ordered the Advance auto battery, but when I went to the store I tested my existing battery and the result showed that my battery was showing 485CCA and the required was 600CCA. So I decided to cancel the order and wait a while. Mind you mine is a 2013, so almost 6yrs on the OEM battery.

What do you guys think, should I replace or delay???

Sandan

got one from the interstate warehouse this afternoon. it was about 169 dollars with tax.

the past few weeks my mileage was down below 30 mpg average, i thought it was the cold weather. nope, it was the engine running more than it needed to to charge the 12v battery that was losing charge.
Is the above statement TRUE....does our cars automatically measure the battery strength and trip the ICE to run more to keep up with the battery charging???

Sandan

need your inputs guys, I had ordered the Advance auto battery, but when I went to the store I tested my existing battery and the result showed that my battery was showing 485CCA and the required was 600CCA. So I decided to cancel the order and wait a while. Mind you mine is a 2013, so almost 6yrs on the OEM battery.

What do you guys think, should I replace or delay???

Sandan
I would definitely replace it! It is time or a matter of time. Would not delay.

Is the above statement TRUE....does our cars automatically measure the battery strength and trip the ICE to run more to keep up with the battery charging???

Sandan
My understanding is that the 12V battery is charged off the Hybrid battery... So the ICE runs to maintain that. I suspect the main issue for any low MPG is the weather and fuel and driving style/conditions combination.

Direct quote from one of the Hyundai engineers who designed the drivetrain in the hybrid:
The HSG (high speed generator) is turned by the engine in opposite mode to when HSG is energized by the 270V to crank engine on start.

HEV 270V battery SOC has to maintain a certain minimum level as the car always launches in EV motor mode.

The 270V also operates the electric AC Compressor so that is more what is probably consuming your battery down when parked. It should not cycle ICE on so regular after the update assuming you are not at a prolonged state of stopped condition.

12V battery runs everything else inside the car but the 270V charges the 12V battery all the time as there is no alternator.

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-all-hybrid-models-yf-lf/129573-check-charging-system-26.html

Direct quote from one of the Hyundai engineers who designed the drivetrain in the hybrid:
The HSG (high speed generator) is turned by the engine in opposite mode to when HSG is energized by the 270V to crank engine on start.

HEV 270V battery SOC has to maintain a certain minimum level as the car always launches in EV motor mode.

The 270V also operates the electric AC Compressor so that is more what is probably consuming your battery down when parked. It should not cycle ICE on so regular after the update assuming you are not at a prolonged state of stopped condition.

12V battery runs everything else inside the car but the 270V charges the 12V battery all the time as there is no alternator.

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-all-hybrid-models-yf-lf/129573-check-charging-system-26.html
Perfect......

The question still remains to replace or to delay.....I like to challenge the longevity of battery life...

sandan

I had mine for 77 months and it still tested fine, but I didn't want to risk it, and for less than $150 it was worth replacing. I don't know where you are located, but I woke up to -7 degree temperatures this morning, with -25 wind chills, and the last thing I want to do is change/boost a battery or wait for roadside assistance in this weather.

Reactions: sandan
A load test will help predict whether or not a battery can crank an engine. Since these engines don't use a 12volt battery to start, you can't do a load test to determine when your battery will fail.... Therefor, the only reason that your 12volt battery is going to fail is due to a shorted cell - which is a symptom of aging/corrosion/heat, and mechanical vibrations, etc. A load test will not tell you if your battery is about to short a cell.

Sometimes cells that are about to short will start to change their voltage output/charging behavior, so if the hybrid car is built in with a system that can help detect that, then maybe you'll get a warning light. Otherwise, you can replace your battery after about 6-7 years (which seems to be the minimum amount of time a battery will last you in this car per the forums), or wait till it won't start and get a "jump" from someone else so you can get a replacement. Any mechanic trying to perform a load test to tell you that you need your battery replaced is just trying to scam you.

Additional tip: Buy the cheapest battery that fits the minimum recommendations (size, CCA, etc.) for what you need, but has the longest warranty (3 years). Upgrading to AGM or a battery that's bigger than what you need will just be a waste of money.

To clear up another thing I'm reading in this thread. Winter is likely not going to be the killer of your battery. Your battery for these hybrids is going to have an equal chance failing during winter vs. any other time of the year. Shorts happen when they're ready to short. My last battery shorted on me right as summer was starting.

The reason so many traditional ICE car batteries fail in winter is because of capacity fade affecting cranking/load power of the battery. Once again, since these cars don't use their 12v for anything under extreme load, you won't have that same failure mode.

I ordered mine online with a 25 percent off online code from advance auto parts. Total came to 130 dollars with tax and core charge refund. I didn't necessarily need a new battery but seeing that the battery was only available in 1 store in the Indianapolis area, I decided to get it before they run out. I have 13 HSH so battery was going on 6-7 years old. Thanks to this forum for pointing me in the right direction so as to not get ripped off from dealer.
A lot of different things I've never seen when installing this battery though...some sort of air hose going to the battery and some sort of terminal connection on the metal brace that holds the battery in tightly. Anyone know the function of those 2 things?

Jeremy

That's an ambient temperature sensor and the hose is to vent the potentially explosive battery gases that would be in the trunk.

Apparently you're not in a cold weather climate. :)
It still gets cold where I live. Heat damages batteries, cold is when the damage shows up. Therefore, I've had many batteries fail in cold weather. My point above is that with a 12v battery in a hybrid, it's very unlikely that it will be the cold that prevents the car from starting. I have yet to see anyone in this thread say that their battery failed during the coldest morning.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.