Hyundai Forums banner
21 - 40 of 105 Posts
Now I have conflicting information on the battery and whether it starts the car. Thought I could trust the dealership...
Well, the dealer is not TECHNICALLY lying because the car won't start if the 12v battery is dead. It is needed to turn on the electronics which must happen before the car can "start". However, the 12v battery doesn't "turn the engine over" as in a conventional car. So their answer to you is incomplete at best and deceptive at worst. :wink:

Well, the dealer is not TECHNICALLY lying because the car won't start if the 12v battery is dead. It is needed to turn on the electronics which must happen before the car can "start". However, the 12v battery doesn't "turn the engine over" as in a conventional car. So their answer to you is incomplete at best and deceptive at worst. :wink:
So true. I agree.

Everyone here seems to have a long life span on the 12V. Wondering if the dealer is just being cautious.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
PHFTW, thanks for posting that cool animation on our cars hybrid system which also proves the 12V does not directly start the car. The 12V only turns on the computer system and it runs such things as the interior lighting and radio when in ACC mode.

My battery was almost 6 years old when I replaced it and it was working perfect when I did. If the 12volt battery actually started the car there is no way it would be lasting 6+ years like some of us here.
Think about it, when you drive the car is constantly shifting from EV to ICE. In stop & go traffic the battery would be starting the car dozens of times on just a short trip. If the 12V actually started the ICE there would be so much stress on the battery it would not last very long.

Anyway, I am very glad the battery is working out for everyone. That's what these forums are all about, helping each other.
Let us hope that Auto Zone keeps this one in stock for a while.

It appears it's sold out as the website is showing "item not available for delivery." My battery is dead and I just can't see paying that astronomical price for a new one.

Yes, I just checked and I get the same message about it not being available for delivery too, although it now shows as in stock at my local store.
Maybe there is one in stock near you if you check?

My battery has been dying lately. I have a power supply attached to it for a printer and a few devices. I use them when the car running but sometimes leave the power supply on with the car off to let devices charge. It's been 3 years and 3 months. I walked out to a dead battery this morning (everything was off) and then I had to jump it when I left the store. Glad I've been carrying a jump box with me lately! I just ordered one for pickup at my local store. I received a 25% Black Friday discount -

SUBTOTAL $155.99
TOTAL SAVINGS -$39.00
CORE CHARGE $22.00
TAX $8.69
ORDER TOTAL $147.68

It will be $125.68 after I return the core. The car goes to the dealer for tires tomorrow (they actually have a decent price). They would have saw $ if the battery was dead!

Thank you so much for this information!
I called around to several dealerships and they were all charging between $329-$429 for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 12v car battery.

After finding your post. I found that one of my local CarQuest stores had it in stock! I ordered it and used the coupon code to save an additional $32 dollars.

MY total came to $163.69!!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Trent

Has anyone heard of a way you can bypass the Hybrid portion of the Sonata Hybrid so you don't have to buy another 270v Battery at the cost of $5000 from the Hyundai dealer? My 2011 Sonata Hybrid
just had the engine freeze up (and my car wasn't on the engine recall list of Sept 2015). My extended warranty is replacing it next week but my technician now says my hybrid battery has only 19% charge and he won't know if it has to be replaced until the engine is replaced...they can't charge the battery someway? I'm reporting the frozen engine to Hyundai...a lot of people have had the same problems with the engine freezing - metal in the oil.

Has anyone heard of a way you can bypass the Hybrid portion of the Sonata Hybrid so you don't have to buy another 270v Battery at the cost of $5000 from the Hyundai dealer? My 2011 Sonata Hybrid
just had the engine freeze up (and my car wasn't on the engine recall list of Sept 2015). My extended warranty is replacing it next week but my technician now says my hybrid battery has only 19% charge and he won't know if it has to be replaced until the engine is replaced...they can't charge the battery someway? I'm reporting the frozen engine to Hyundai...a lot of people have had the same problems with the engine freezing - metal in the oil.
If you're the original owner, your battery can be replaced under warranty. If you're just concerned about the battery having a low charge, the car will charge the battery itself as soon as you turn it on.

Is it not the Hyundai dealer doing the engine replacement?

We brought our 2011 Hybrid in last week for some recall work and they informed us that our 12V battery tested bad and they could put a new one in for $345. We hadn't had any problems but being over 7 years old we didn't want to take any chances. We found the H6R is hard to find. None of the local Advanced Autos had them. We found one in Sanford Maine and that worked out as we planned on visiting friend in Maine. We ordered online, got a 25% discount and even having to pay sales tax it came to $128 and change. It is an exact match to the original battery so it is a perfect fit. Thanks for posting.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.