Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sonata SE 2.4L GDI
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I hope this is the appropriate place for this. I found this guy on YouTube who was a Platinum master tech for Hyundai. He has a video on his channel showing the procedure for checking bearing clearance when you have code p132600. Anyway in this video he discussed the issues with the theta engines and when they first started giving problems.

This is the other video l was talking about.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
The only confusing part (mine or his) was the change of colors for the dip stick...he said yellow to red? Mine went to orange.
The videos made things more clear in Hyundai's response to as yet to be determined design flaw. Keep shooting and eventually you will hit the target.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
The only confusing part (mine or his) was the change of colors for the dip stick...he said yellow to red? Mine went to orange.
The videos made things more clear in Hyundai's response to as yet to be determined design flaw. Keep shooting and eventually you will hit the target.
Maybe that's a Korean red? Or maybe option 3? I'd say you're correct though . Extract from a Kia Theta II bulletin which I'd expect mirrors Hyundai. Suggests production went to red and recalled vehicles went to orange

Musical instrument Font Line Musical instrument accessory Music

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Interesting listening to the chain of events and Hyundai/Kia's terrible response to the problem. Hopefully we all know that in the inception, they declined responsibility and made the owners pay for the engines, great company.

He never explained why the junk engines fail, but did mention excessive carbon buildup on the intake valves, which is correct, but isn't the cause of engine failure.

He also mentioned rod bearings problems, also turning black from heat and failing, but the only reason the rod bearings are failing is because of no lubrication/oil supply, not a problem with the rod bearings. Lack of oil is caused by the degradation of the cylinder walls/piston rings and the debris gets into the oil pump, no oil circulation, engine seizes.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Also, (from the whistleblower/engineer in Korea) inadequate cooling, causing deformation of the cylinders (2&3)...scuffing, galling, excessive oil burning, seizing, and rod bearing failure.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
He never explained why the junk engines fail
They were probably told not to dismantle the engine but send it back. If that is the case the dealerships would not be doing any failure diagnosis.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
My boy decided to give up my old i30 diesel for a 1.6 GDI TCI Kona. I'm expecting bad things in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for sharing my videos! I joined just so I could comment and try to answer some of your questions to the best of my abilities. Bear in mind I haven’t been in the dealer since April so some things may have changed since I left. Hyundai’s official cause of failure on the Theta II engine is oil starvation to the rod bearings due to improper deburing/cleaning of the oil journals in the crankshaft, which over time starve the rod bearings of oil, causing them to overheat and wear prematurely as mentioned in the video. Early on, Hyundai had us perform the sound test as shown, and if failed they’d have us pull the oil pan and inspect for metal. If metal debris was found (which was ALWAYS the case) that’s as far as we’d go into the engine, as the new replacements were Long blocks. I’ve only done a few short block theta II’s, one being a Customer pay in a tuscon that was obviously neglected, and I’ve done two Genesis Coupe 2.0T short blocks. Both of those were catastrophic failures. Hyundai is very much a remove and replace company as far as making repairs are concerned, aside from the 1.8 and 2.0 Nu engines (Most of those end up being short blocks with a new cylinder head). Lost count of how many of those I’ve done over the years. The Theta did not have an issue with cylinder walls wearing, the Nu 1.8 and 2.0 is another story completely. They completely destroy the cylinder walls, and burn all their oil until they grenade. Have seen some spectacular failures out of those

1 - 9 of 9 Posts