Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you noticed a problem with the tint adhering to the rear window where the factory "dots" are? In my 2007 Accent I had this problem and over time the aftermarket tint started to pull away from these black dots.

TIA

Ray

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have had tint applied to just about every car I've owned and never had an issue due to the dot on the edge of the glass, other than seeing slight air gaps while it is still wet. I think having an adhering issue is probably due to the quality of film that is being used or too much soapy wet solution being applied weakening the glue on the film.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dot Matrix is a pain in the ****!

I work at a detailing shop P/T and I have picked up a few hints from the guys there that install the tint. They use
Elmers purple glue stick and apply it to the black dots, this will make the tint stick to the dots and then when the glue stick dries its clear and keeps the tint from pulling away from the dots.

I had this done on my Jeeps windshield and it lasted for 2 years before I sold it and it looked perfect.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Doesn't this possibility Punctuate the need for Really Researching the Tint Co. AND having a Lifetime (Any Dealer - Anywhere) Warranty as I recd with
FormulaOne 35?

(Sept. Install Too New to comment)

............... Good luck!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Don't get me wrong I was only posting what I've seen done to help the tint stick to these black dots...

I didn't even use the guys at my work I went to a shop I've had my last 5 vehicles tinted at and he got it installed with no issues. Yea I could have used my work for a cheaper price but while I'm not knocking these guys I've seen some sloppy work but I've also seen amazing results from them.

I have Llumar film on my car and its flawless and it came with a lifetime warrenty. I had 30% put on all windows and had Blue Air 80% put on the full windshield. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I remember our tint experts telling me that tint doesn't stick to the black dot edges. But I have never seen any problems before.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No problems with my tint, but I've only had it 3 weeks.
I got a lifetime warranty on both tint and installation, so I'm not worried.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So does the Lifetime warranty include replacing the rear defrost grids if they have to R/R tint? I'd assume the tint would pull the grids off when it's removed.

Ray

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
QUOTE (crayb @ Nov 15 2010, 10:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372065
So does the Lifetime warranty include replacing the rear defrost grids if they have to R/R tint? I'd assume the tint would pull the grids off when it's removed.

Ray
Warranty will be void due to modifications. In this case the modification is the installation of tint.

Not a expert on tint, but don't think it will damage the lines if it's removed properly, meaning some sort of solution to loosen the film. Now if you were to just pull at it then it will probably do some damage.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Just had mine tinted yesterday. llumar, 35% on sides, 15% ceramic on the back, and blue air 80 on the sunroof. anyways, the car before mine was a cadillac ctx and the guy was asking about the 'dot matrix' on the back window and why the tint wasn't adhearing as well to it. the installer's reply was that on some cars with alot of the 'dot matrix', the tint won't adhear well, where as others, it will adhere just fine too. i was little concerned, so i checked out both cars (his and mine). those cars have ALOT of the dots on the back glass, where we dont have that much. i checked this morning...and it looks great...still drying however...and i'm hopefule it will continue to look great!

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (fear24 @ Nov 16 2010, 08:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372131
Just had mine tinted yesterday. llumar, 35% on sides, 15% ceramic on the back, and blue air 80 on the sunroof. anyways, the car before mine was a cadillac ctx and the guy was asking about the 'dot matrix' on the back window and why the tint wasn't adhearing as well to it. the installer's reply was that on some cars with alot of the 'dot matrix', the tint won't adhear well, where as others, it will adhere just fine too. i was little concerned, so i checked out both cars (his and mine). those cars have ALOT of the dots on the back glass, where we dont have that much. i checked this morning...and it looks great...still drying however...and i'm hopefule it will continue to look great!
Id be curious as to your opinion of AirBlue. I thought about doing that on the sunroof as well.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
blue Air 80 on the sunroof - i did that for the heat rejection properties only. i didn't want to make it darker, but i wanted to help with keeping the heat out during hot days. i can't tell it's there from the inside at all. although the temp's here are dropping, yesterday was clear and sunny..and i could tell a difference with the heat coming thru...or lack of heat. today is supposed to be similar and i left the sunroof cover open on purpose to see if there is really a difference.

i can get back to you for sure tomorrow. i can also post pics later too if you are interested. i'll take pics of the roof as well, both from inside and outside.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (fear24 @ Nov 16 2010, 09:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372146
blue Air 80 on the sunroof - i did that for the heat rejection properties only. i didn't want to make it darker, but i wanted to help with keeping the heat out during hot days. i can't tell it's there from the inside at all. although the temp's here are dropping, yesterday was clear and sunny..and i could tell a difference with the heat coming thru...or lack of heat. today is supposed to be similar and i left the sunroof cover open on purpose to see if there is really a difference.

i can get back to you for sure tomorrow. i can also post pics later too if you are interested. i'll take pics of the roof as well, both from inside and outside.
I knew the changing weather would cloud the response. I am tempted to get it on the windshield then I dont have to put up/down a sunshade. However a sunshade is 30 bucks, airblue was close to 200 just for the windshield last quote I got.

But all opinions you give would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Nov 16 2010, 08:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372148
I knew the changing weather would cloud the response. I am tempted to get it on the windshield then I dont have to put up/down a sunshade. However a sunshade is 30 bucks, airblue was close to 200 just for the windshield last quote I got.

But all opinions you give would be appreciated.

we (installer & myself) discussed putting the blue air on the windsheild for some time...and we even put a scrap piece on part of it...and backed it outside....it definately gave the windsheild a blue tint to it...and too much for me. i didn't want to be bothered by the missouri's finest constantly, so i told him not to do it. i live where there is our local pd, county sherrif's dept and a highway patrol headqtrs...all within 4 miles of my house. i pass the highway patrol hq every single day on my way to and from work...just wasn't worth the hassle for me. if it were legal here, i would have gotten it done.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (fear24 @ Nov 16 2010, 10:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372151
we (installer & myself) discussed putting the blue air on the windsheild for some time...and we even put a scrap piece on part of it...and backed it outside....it definately gave the windsheild a blue tint to it...and too much for me. i didn't want to be bothered by the missouri's finest constantly, so i told him not to do it. i live where there is our local pd, county sherrif's dept and a highway patrol headqtrs...all within 4 miles of my house. i pass the highway patrol hq every single day on my way to and from work...just wasn't worth the hassle for me. if it were legal here, i would have gotten it done.
But if I recall correctly, AirBlue is 80% light transmission through? I know Ohio's law is 50% all the way around but I cant remember if you are allowed anything on the windshield below 12" from the top.

I can sympathize with not wanting to deal with law enforcement. If it really makes the windshield blue that's going to attract attention and cause them to scrutinize whether or not the tint is within the letter of the law. And to spend that much only to have to scrape it off...DOH!

·
Registered
349 Posts
$200 for just the front windshield? OUCH! I paid an extra $50 to have the Air Blue put on the windshield, it was $200 total for the whole car to get tinted. I didn't think it made the windshield look too blue at all, have you seen the new Benz windows much more of a blue tint from the factory... since our cars look a lot more exspensive (IMO) I think the bluish look just goes with the theme of the new cars being produced.

As far as the benefits of having the Air Blue installed I can't really tell yet because its been cooler and not super sunny. I've noticed more of an anti glare benefit with oncoming headlights which is great, I was gonna do 40% on the windshield to help with this but was told about "all the benefits" of this new Air Blue film so I went with it instead. Time with tell I guess but I thought I would chime back in and let you know my opinion with it.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (SExy__Sonata @ Nov 16 2010, 03:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372253
$200 for just the front windshield? OUCH! I paid an extra $50 to have the Air Blue put on the windshield, it was $200 total for the whole car to get tinted. I didn't think it made the windshield look too blue at all, have you seen the new Benz windows much more of a blue tint from the factory... since our cars look a lot more exspensive (IMO) I think the bluish look just goes with the theme of the new cars being produced.

As far as the benefits of having the Air Blue installed I can't really tell yet because its been cooler and not super sunny. I've noticed more of an anti glare benefit with oncoming headlights which is great, I was gonna do 40% on the windshield to help with this but was told about "all the benefits" of this new Air Blue film so I went with it instead. Time with tell I guess but I thought I would chime back in and let you know my opinion with it.
If you have a chance or ability, can you take a picture that would show it? I do like the anti-glare at night...

I envy the "only 50 more"... :bwekk:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Are you wanting a picture seeing the Blue color or the anti-glar of headlights?

Not sure if a picture would do the anti-glare justice because cameras tend to pick up glare anyway.

Let me know and I will see what I can do as far as uploading a pic for you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts