Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2020 Hyundai Sonata Limited
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started pricing out the parts for an upcoming Doil change for my 2020 Limited:
1- Oil filter kit- ~$15
2- 5 quarts of 0w-20 full synthetic ~$30
I also need to modify my ramps with some 2x10's to accomodate the low profile of the car.

I purchased my car before the "free oil change" deal was offered.

My local Hyundai dealership charges $50 for the oil change service, including coffee, donut and use of their wifi :)
Is this a typical price compared with other Hyundai dealerships?

· Registered
2023 Hyundai Sonata N-Line
377 Posts
Is that including synthetic oil? My dealer frequently sends out $50 oil change coupons, but synthetic oil is extra. Current rate is $130 + tax for a synthetic oil change at my dealership. I'm only going to use them for my free oil changes, then I'll go back to doing them myself.

· Registered
2020 Sonata Limited (Stormy Sea)
597 Posts
I just had my car in for Oil, Tire Rotation, and filters. It was my last freebie.
The invoice I got was 6 quarts of 0W-20 @ $4.75ea. Oil filter @ $14.60. Engine filter @ $26.75. Cabin filter @ $40.94 (really?!?).
Labor was $49, Sales Tax @ $10.28, and Misc charge of $2 I guess because I asked them to inspect the flat tire I fixed.
I also get to buy new tires next time, oh boy.

I may decide to get the equipment (ramps, oil drain pan, car jack, etc) and do it myself next time.

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is that including synthetic oil? My dealer frequently sends out $50 oil change coupons, but synthetic oil is extra. Current rate is $130 + tax for a synthetic oil change at my dealership. I'm only going to use them for my free oil changes, then I'll go back to doing them myself.
It says synthetic on the paperwork. But who really knows?

· Registered
1,889 Posts
I started pricing out the parts for an upcoming Doil change for my 2020 Limited:
1- Oil filter kit- ~$15
2- 5 quarts of 0w-20 full synthetic ~$30
I also need to modify my ramps with some 2x10's to accomodate the low profile of the car.

I purchased my car before the "free oil change" deal was offered.

My local Hyundai dealership charges $50 for the oil change service, including coffee, donut and use of their wifi :)
Is this a typical price compared with other Hyundai dealerships?

most dealers/shops charge that kind of money for the cheaper mineral oil something sounds fishy too me. are they really useing Synthetic Oil ? or are they just putting in cheap mineral oil and writing it up as 0w20 synthetic oil unless you are there to see what specifically there useing i would be worried.

· Registered
1,889 Posts
there are crooked dealers out there just as there are shops that are dishonest not saying the one that A440 deals with is i just find the final cost of doing a synthetic 0w20 Synthetic Oci' very cheap especially when you factor in Oil filter & labour very shady if you ask me. i would be carefull on where i take my vehicle for service any new vehicle will make it useing mineral oil up to its warranty period. after that when something goes south dealer may not want to do anything for you.

· Registered
231 Posts
If u do it yourself u need to keep receipts or they won't replace engine if ever needed.

· Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take my own Mobil 1 0W-30 and they provide the filter. Can’t remember what they charge for filter but $25.00 for labor. I am too old to creep under cars anymore!
I like this approach. I think I'll ask my trusted local mechanic how much he would charge just for the labor. I can get the part on Amazon and the 0w-20 full synthetic oil on Costco for a great price. I might even bring him a cup of coffee and a donut ;)

· Registered
144 Posts
It’s always going to be cheaper to do it yourself. It’s just a matter of whether you want to get under a car and get dirty. Most of the time when customers take their car to the dealer for an oil change service is because they have an open campaign/recall that needs to be done anyways. So it’s a “minus get my oil changed since I’m here…”. type of thing.

· Registered
1,889 Posts
I have worked years ago at a local C.T. shop doing Oil changes, brakes, tires, what i noticed was every Saturday morning in the spring , summertime many people wanted there Oci' done in fact there would be a line up outside waiting from a fast lube Oil change lane it was the worse time for oci because car drove in drane bolt would be loosend & put back while it was still leaking oil out. so... unless you dont care how well an oci is done i would not bring any vehicle through any fast oil change lube chane especially on a early Saturday morning lol ...i do my own OCI's because i

been there done it & its one thing to do as far as a fast lube shop screwing up or half/Arsing it can happen i dont like the un-professionalism involved in doing a good Oci from some of these Quick in-out lube centers :rolleyes: not to say all are terrible but there out there . want it done right? i suggest doing your own OCI's Yourself to avoid wrong Oil or wrong spec Oil or cheap Oil filter screwing on . you can save time from waiting around & $ money many times doing it yourself useing the correct Oil Spec viscosity & Oil filter many times if your willing to do a little bit of re-search on your own.

· Registered
2021 Sonata Limited
5,844 Posts
I like this approach. I think I'll ask my trusted local mechanic how much he would charge just for the labor. I can get the part on Amazon and the 0w-20 full synthetic oil on Costco for a great price. I might even bring him a cup of coffee and a donut ;)
Don’t be cheap! Dozen donuts or nothing!

· Registered
803 Posts
It’s always going to be cheaper to do it yourself. It’s just a matter of whether you want to get under a car and get dirty. Most of the time when customers take their car to the dealer for an oil change service is because they have an open campaign/recall that needs to be done anyways. So it’s a “minus get my oil changed since I’m here…”. type of thing.
100% this. Maybe once or twice in the last 2 years since I purchased our VW and Hyundai (42k Sonata N Line - 5 oil changes, 36k VW - 3 oil changes) have I gone in for a dealer oil change and not had something else checked/fixed due to a recall. Have to make the trip to the shop anyway, might as well make it count. So far, only paid for one of those oil changes out of pocket, the rest covered by the "complimentary" services we all paid for when we bought the vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts