Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you change oil yourself, where do you dispose your motor oil and filter? just a concern. thanks

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Google is your friend..................... Used Oil Program

We have a similar set-up in our county in South Carolina.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Any major quick lube place in Chicago i have always been able to take the oily paper, filters and oil to. I'm sure ones by you will do the same.

·
Registered
326 Posts
For those of you change oil yourself, where do you dispose your motor oil and filter? just a concern. thanks
At the county waste transfer station about 5 miles from our home. It's right next to some shopping centers so I drop it off when in the vicinity so no extra trips just for the oil. If wondering you can start finding your nearest recycling center here http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/Used_Oil_Recycling.aspx. This is probably not all inclusive, but is a good first cut. If you do some research I bet there is a location almost close to anyone posting in this forum with a few exceptions.

Larry

·
Registered
65 Posts
The same auto parts store I get the oil and filter from. They have a 55 gallon drum that you can dump it into.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
My used oil and filters go to the dump, they dispose of it properly for free and they give me 5 gallon buckets with a nifty drain pan that doubles as a lid for the bucket.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Used to get the bottles of old oil left by the door trick at couple places I worked,, only thing we can do with now is dump it in withthe rest of our oil to be picked up.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
+1 for Wally World. Also they will take the bottles too so no mlre hauling oily trash back to the garage!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The used oil goes back to Autozone or O'Reilly, the empty quart bottles have a recycle symbol on them so I put the cap back on them and throw them in the recycling container. Oil filter, I throw in the garbage.:eek:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Advance
AutoZone
OReillys
Tractor Supply

They all have dump bins.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have a County oil recycle center a few minutes away. It accepts oil, filters, old containers and antifreeze.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Used oil is placed next to the can on garbage night. Picked up by the trash company that has a contract with the city. Filters go to the auto parts store.

·
Registered
326 Posts
As you can see from the wide variety of options one should not be overly concerned or worry about what to do with things like used oil, filters, containers and this generally applies to things like anti-freeze and other household hazardous materials like paint,etc. (oil based especially). It might take a little looking and even a bit of advance planning so you don't have to make an extra trip, but there are options to dispose of these items in a responsible manner.

Larry

·
Registered
802 Posts
Don't change my own anymore, but back when I did, I used a catch pan that also doubled as storage and disposal jug. Drain the oil from car to the catch can, then seal the catch can and stick it in the garage/storage building. Next time I go to buy oil, I take the catch can and dump into the recycling drum. Pretty much anywhere that has a maintenance bay (quick lube places, Wal-Mart, etc.) or any auto parts store will let you recycle oil through them.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Recycling Center Search - Earth911.com is a good site to find drop off places for all kinds of haz-mats.
As far as the oil, retailers who sell large quantities of motor oil have to accept used oil for recycling by law (gas stations and super markets don't because of their low quantity sold). I drop my oil off at Advanced Auto Parts. Sadly, I hide my filters in the regular garbage. There is a county drop off near me but they are only open M-F 7:30am - 4pm so I can never make it there due to work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts