Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am new here, and I am in need of a car, and I thought the new sonata was good choice.
I heard about the turbo that's coming out in October, but I kind of need a car now.
I thought the Sonata is a really good bang of the buck, but when I heard about the turbo with its 274 hp engine, I thought THAT was a much better bang for the buck.
So now I am contemplating...

Clearly the turbo is a better car in terms of performance, and I was wondering why some of you decided to not wait for the turbo.
Here are some simple reasons:

- Cannot afford ($26k~)
- Unnecessary performance (Fine with 198~200 hp)
- Cannot wait til October (Need a car NOW!)
- Did not know about turbo. (Wish I can get a turbo instead)
- Other reasons (please explain)

Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts

Didn't want to Wait, Bought it Now...... :auto:

Two hundred HP isn't enough, For YOU ?...,,.... :3gears:

Is it really coming out in October ? (could be delayed or have greater problems),,,,,,,, :eek:_75:

Really NOT interested in turbo at any price......... :ph34r:

See Smile and Happy Face...... :cheer:

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I am waiting to see real world results of fuel mileage. I am also waiting for the 2012 Focus. I know they are two different cars, but those are the two I am picking from.

I would really like 27X HP. I know that if one can keep their foot outta the right pedal you can achieve great gas mileage. I own a turbo already and even putting my foot INTO it I can get over 30 on the highway with the windows down, tops out and about 70-75.

So yeah, I am waiting. :grin:

·
Banned
630 Posts
sure I'd probably love the turbo over the regular 4, but common sense and my wallet told me I needed at least one gas efficient car..my truck is a pig (no surprise there) and my two legends can get 30mpg if driving on the highway with cruise set at 60 but who drives at 60??? :D

The prius was the next contender but toyota lately has **** me off....

·
Registered
854 Posts
1. Price.
2. Faster = Less reliable in most cases.
3. More expensive to maintain
4. Needed a car now (baby couldn't fit in my nonexistent back seat in my old MR2 Spyder!).

·
Registered
678 Posts
Here are my reasons for not waiting:

My 99 corolla was consuming oil like crazy. I had to fill her up with synthetic oil every couple of weeks (20-23 bucks every 2 weeks). It was dying on me with 80,000 miles and it's bound to cause damage to other parts of the car like the catalytic converter and such from all the carbon build up. So it was time to trade her in. I was racing against time. the more I drive, the more mileage I put, the more I spend on oil, the more risk of killing the car, the lesser the value I can get for the trade in. That's why I could not wait.

Turbo was a nice thought, but 200hp is plenty when compared to my 125hp corolla. Plus where would I need the turbo for? I'm not planning on racing the car....I'm beyond that point. I cannot justify spending extra $ for the turbo. I'm plenty happy with my SE.

I have a budget not to spend more than 25k on a car and the SE was perfect price for the features I want for the price point I was willing to pay.

Financing incentives are good right now. When the turbo comes out, financing might go up especially now that Sonata's are selling like hot cakes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
1. Only 1 truck since I sold my Subaru to get a house (Closing next week), so I need a car NOW!
2. My commute to work is a little over an hour. Truck is a PIG! I need some good MPG. Toyota ***.
3. Price - Nothing beats features, MPG, Warranty for that price. (Hopefullt Reliability as well.
4. Turbo = More Power = More Fun = More expensive to maintain! I need to start saving.

I can certainly afford the Turbo model, but I am afraid it will be a little more difficult to get approved although I have a good credit score, since I will close on a new house next week. Plan is to buy car before mortgage shows up in my credit. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Pretty much the same reasons that everyone else has already stated. The turbo gets you nothing but more hp at a higher initial cost and higher cost of ownership (fuel, maintenance, etc). If I wanted something with that kind of a power/weight ratio, I wouldn't be shopping in the family sedan segment to begin with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My main reason was to replace my aging 2000 Honda Civic with 160,000 miles on it. It still runs great, but with the age and milage, reliability starts to become a concern.

The turbo would be fun but 200hp is plenty for me. If they keep selling well, there will be some aftermarket parts to bump that up a little (by 4-6 horses maybe). And, if I want to go fast, I have a Hayabusa for that.

The other reason I went with my SE was that when I stopped by to check out the new Sonata, they had one I liked and at a price that I could easily afford with several perks and warranty upgrades thrown in for free.

·
Banned
630 Posts
I notice ppl make mention of buying or waiting to buy their "fast" car....I had my "fast" car (for me at least) and it was a Lexus GS400 that came with 300hp stock....

for me, fast got me nothing but speeding tickets and increased gas consumption. Plus the lawyer fees to get me off the tickets. Plus in NY, frankly you can't go over 80 safely, even the troopers don't nail ya, the potholes and street craters will

just ain't worth it at the end of the day...and going 30mph+ only yields at most a 5min gain in time getting to destination. Just ain't worth the aggravation.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I totally agree with NT2SHBBY's statement. After 17years of driving/modifying turbo cars, I can say they are a blast, but a LOT of money wasted there! I know if I get another turbo vehicle (even a Sonata) I will end up modifying it and spending money on it. Basically, defeating the purpose of an ECONOMY car. :)

If I wanted more HP or a faster car, I'd get a 2011 Z06/ZR1 Vette or a Hennessey powered 2010 Camaro. :D

Going out to buy a Mega/Lotto ticket :D

·
Registered
932 Posts
I needed a car as my lease was expiring and I was driving a recall infested Camry. I still had a few months left on the lease but the Turbo still wouldn't be out by the time it was up.

But the question remains, if it was available, would I have opted for the Turbo? From some things I've read, I might have been tempted for some of the other features that will be available on that model. But not for the turbo itself. I've owned plenty of fast cars in my life, a turbo Sonata probably wouldn't rank in the top 5.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I needed a car soon. My 2000 malibu with 130k miles was pretty beat up. the rear driver window regulator was broken, the AC didn't work, and had some minor body damage/rust near the gas tank opening. I was looking for a nice midsize car that was aforadable, and would last the 10 years the malibu had. As much as i would of loved to have a turbo car, i don't think it would be worth the extra $$ to gain a few HP, and possibly reduce fuel economy. my 200hp SE gets me around quite nicely.

if i had the disposable income to support the turbo, i'd trade in...

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.