Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have 16" x 7" wheels and 205/50-16 tires.

dc strut bar.

what can i do to make it handle better around corners?

can i drop it down an inch with springs? will that help a little or a lot? will that void a warranty on the engine, trans, steering?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been thinking about adding the front anti-sway bar from an SE to my blue. Looks like all I'd need is the bar and the 2 bushings. Everything else seems the same. Although I'm not sure what difference 3mm in diameter will make.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hyundai is very specific about their warranty. The warranty on any failure is only void if the failure was the direct result of an aftermarket part. So lowering springs might void the warranty on the shocks and maybe other suspension stuff if you're bottoming out. Everything else would still be covered under warranty.

A stiffer front sway bar would improve turn-in, making the car feel snappier, but it would also worsen under steer. If you want less body roll, get a rear sway bar. If you've got the rear stiff enough that you're over steering and you want even less body roll, then you can think about a stiffer front bar.

Lowering springs will probably provide the biggest benefit for the cost for cornering feel. Throw on some camber bolts and have an alignment done at the same time. After that, get a rear sway bar.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i go to lowering springs- eibach? megan racing? h&r?- should i also replace the shocks/struts with stiffer ones? I can't seem to find any out there for our accents...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
What tires are you running? Good rubber goes a LONG way.

-Stiffer springs (lowering springs are often pretty soft for their supposed cornering improvement) (hard to get spring rates from manufacturers)
-Stronger struts (none available although the SE shocks might be an improvement over the lesser models)
-Rear sway bar
-Rear strut bar (none available that I know of)
-Aggressive alignment (need camber bolts)

I've seen those bars you bolt to the subframe to stiffen it. IMO they are completely useless. The subframe is beefy and braced by the engine itself.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Aside from some sticky tires, a custom alignment is probably the biggest improvement i have done, lowering springs were nice too. I also have the DC sports brace.

Camber bolts are cheap and easy to install. Getting your alignment set can cost a little bit, you usually have to find a shop that offers custom alignments to your specifications and not just aligning your car within some factory specified range like most shops.

If you plan on lowering your car, just do the camber bolts at the same time like oxbrain said and hopefully just pay once for an alignment.

You are right, there are not many shock options right now. The only upgrade available for you right now would be shocks and struts from an SE.

·
Registered
265 Posts
QUOTE (pocket_geek @ Oct 26 2010, 02:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366474
I've been thinking about adding the front anti-sway bar from an SE to my blue. Looks like all I'd need is the bar and the 2 bushings. Everything else seems the same. Although I'm not sure what difference 3mm in diameter will make.
I wasnt aware the SE had a bigger sway bar but low and behold your right 3mm is a big difference in front sway bars I might have to grab me one of those I'm going to see if I can find poly bushings instead of rubber though poly bushings feel really nice.

The problem is you have to drop the front sub frame to swap the sway bar...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is there any aftermarket rear sway bar available for the MC? I'm not seeing one.
I do not want lowering springs at all. I like how the car rides, and ground clearance comes in handy. However, understeer ticks me off.

I've done the giant rear sway bar on otherwise stock suspension before (on a Focus), and it was wonderful. It can be a lot of stress on the sway bar's mounting points, but it shouldn't be too bad as long as the bar isn't super ultra mega incredistiff. In the Accent, it's really just augmenting the torsion beam, anyway, so it shouldn't be as bad as it was in my Focus (I had issues with my custom fabbed mounts coming loose).

·
Registered
609 Posts
QUOTE (RoosterSauce @ Oct 28 2010, 03:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367050
Is there any aftermarket rear sway bar available for the MC? I'm not seeing one.
I do not want lowering springs at all. I like how the car rides, and ground clearance comes in handy. However, understeer ticks me off.

I've done the giant rear sway bar on otherwise stock suspension before (on a Focus), and it was wonderful. It can be a lot of stress on the sway bar's mounting points, but it shouldn't be too bad as long as the bar isn't super ultra mega incredistiff. In the Accent, it's really just augmenting the torsion beam, anyway, so it shouldn't be as bad as it was in my Focus (I had issues with my custom fabbed mounts coming loose).
IMO you won't feel anything from the rear sway that kfx provides. Maybe a beefier custom in like the 20-25 range might be noticeable but that's about it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
QUOTE (0.o slow 1.6 @ Oct 28 2010, 04:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367060
IMO you won't feel anything from the rear sway that kfx provides. Maybe a beefier custom in like the 20-25 range might be noticeable but that's about it.
I was just there and the sway bar didn't show up, but now I see it.
With everything else being OEM, it could very well make a big difference. $209.00 is a bit steep, but I'd consider it. I'll have to search for some reviews on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts