Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can anyone advise me of the foot parking brake system.

I recently purchased a 2007 santa fe 7 seater auto so it has the foot (handbrake) system.

As I always want to preserve the life or not put the car under too much pressure when I am at traffic lights I go into neutral and apply the foot brake.

Today I noticed that I rolled even with the foot brake (handbrake) applied. When I got home in my car parking area I tried it on a slight slope and found that in drive or reverse with the brake on it moved with no resistance at all, neutral was the same?

The only time I was safe was in park.

Am I missing something?? what is the point of having this function?

I did see whilst fitting some side steps that there is acable that runs from the front area under the chassis and near the centre links together and splits each side? is this the handbrake and does anyone know if its a case of just adjusting a fe bolts etc??

Any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your parking brakes are self adjusting. Ive never heard of anyone putting their car in neutral and applying the parking brake at a stop light. You are not applying too much pressure or causing more wear. The wear only happens when/whilst you apply your brakes and are moving (coming to a stop), not when/while stopped. Your hand brake (park brake) only mechanically applies your rear brakes (only) via different brake shoes (not hydraulically with pads and callipers - (your regular service brakes).

You are not hurting anything by leaving your car in gear and keeping your foot on the brake pedal. This is the way cars are designed to be operated.

Parking brakes are applied by a cable system. They operate completely seperate from your normal service brakes in case you experience a service brake failure. Which is why some people call them emergency brakes. They are known for seizing up. Moisture gets into the cable housing, linkage etc and and corrosion sets in. Most people dont use their parking brake what so ever which also contributes to them seizing up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. I thought it would cause the gearbox to be under some sort of unnecessary strain if waiting at traffic lights etc. I appreciate your reply. Thank you.

·
Read Only
538 Posts
Your parking brakes are self adjusting.

They are "self-adjusted" by moving the car in reverse and applying the parking brake. Repeat this process a few times and the brakes should hold bettah.

The setup shown is the same, in principle, to what you have.
When the parking brake is applied while the cah is moving backwards, the self-adjusting lever (1) pushes down on the star wheel of the screw (2) causing it to rotate to make the screw longer, thus increasing the outside diameter of the shoes, bringing them closer to drum surface to make up for the loss in their brake surface.

OR... the cables could have stretched to the point of not moving the shoes out far enough to engage the drum.

Hope this helps.

This is tested as part of the annual vehicle inspection process in Massachusetts. You don't get a stickah if it fails to hold the cah.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts