Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly narrow garage, so I was thinking of folding the passenger's side mirror to have more room on the driver's side. I have read the manual and it explains how to fold the side mirrors, but I haven't been able to do it. Do I have to apply a lot of force? Does it get easier after the first couple times? I don't want to risk damaging/breaking the side mirror, so I wanted to check with fellow owners who might've already done this. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're definitely foldable on all Sonata models. Manual says to pull upwards then fold them, but I encountered quite a bit of resistance. I guess I'll put more force and cross fingers, thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yep give it a bit more force but when you apply the force push up and in at the sametime as it folds upwards than the standard straight back. So if your pushing straigt it won't move much but apply the force going up and it goes easily, doesn't seem to get easier over time though. As far as I know the mirrors only fold in and not the other way like other cars.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes, as already stated, they all fold. Just think of the direction they would go if you were to strike an object while moving forward. They are designed to fold back on their own if you hit something [like a bicyclist or a pedestrian] and not cause too much damage or injuries. I wouldn't recommend driving into a post to fold them as that would obviously scratch the paint; I'm just trying to give you an idea as to which direction they fold. I wold almost say it's more of a "swivel" than a fold if that helps you visualize it. Try pushing back and upward at the same time.

·
Registered
486 Posts

When ever in doubt, consult owners manual.

From page 4-45

....Lift slightly straight up, then rotate mirror towards the rear of the vehicle. These mirrors rotate on an upwards angle......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I had to exert more force than I was initially comfortable with, but the side mirror eventually folded. Seemed smoother on further foldings too. Now I can stop worrying about scratching (or even breaking) it when I enter my narrow garage. :)

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (RaphaBE @ Jun 13 2010, 05:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332702
Thanks everyone, I had to exert more force than I was initially comfortable with, but the side mirror eventually folded. Seemed smoother on further foldings too. Now I can stop worrying about scratching (or even breaking) it when I enter my narrow garage. :)
About the time you "stop worrying" is the time you will hit it. I almost lost my mirror at Jack in the Box on one of the new Credit Card readers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanx for the picture on this matter. Once again a visual helps a great deal.
IMO the wording used can cause the confusion as in this case the mirror doesn't fold so much as it is a Pivoting motion. Folding being the generic terminology in the auto domain.

·
Banned
630 Posts
do korean models have power folding mirrors?? hmmmmmmmmmm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts