Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2013 — FWD 2.4L
I have a folding key (Not a Smart Key for Start Engine button (in manual pic. OVF041001)
My Question is: Is it possible to order (make) just a bold copy of the key (without remote buttons case)?
I need it for lock/unlock doors, start engine to move Car in Coop garage. If YES - than how much it will cost?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yes, Take it to a locksmith and they can cut a key from it. The key part is just held in by a small pin and they will remove the key, cut a blank and put your key back on the switchblade fob. Shouldn't cost $10.

·
Registered
870 Posts
What about the security chip in the fob? That needs to be near the steering column for the engine to start, no?

·
Registered
660 Posts
What about the security chip in the fob? That needs to be near the steering column for the engine to start, no?
I found no chip in my fob on the Elantra GT. I think that is on the push button start vehicles that have the chip.

I believe the OP just wanted it to open the doors anyways.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Fold your switchblade key part way down to reveal the roll pin.

I just took out my spare key without a fob on me and started and moved my car. So the security chip is no worry.

IMG_1708.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please, compere your key with picture above.I don't care about Elantra or some other

Fold your switchblade key part way down to reveal the roll pin.

I just took out my spare key without a fob on me and started and moved my car. So the security chip is no worry.

View attachment 78169
:eek:fftopic::eek:fftopic::eek:fftopic:
Attention, please!
I post this topic exactly for Folding Key from Santa Fe Sport 2013 model. Because it's important for me.
I don't care about Elantra or some other models.
Please, compere your key with picture above.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm not off topic. My key is quite similar to that one. I had to take out the circuit board from my original fob and install in the switchblade fob I have. Did YOU look at the folding key fob I had in my hand? Go figure it out yourself. I was just trying to help a NEWBIE out. I have 3 new Hyundia's that are all extremely similar. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Folding key - how much it cost for Santa Fe Sport

I call to Hyundai Customer service, but they redirect me to local dealer.
They could make just a key, that unlock/lock door - which cost $70.00
For full function you need a key fob, which cost $400.00

Yes, you can fined / buy new fob with uncut key or used one from Internet, BUT NO ONE locksmith in New York aria (that recommended by this companies) can cut the key and program the fob for Sana Fe Sport 2013. Yet :(:(:(

·
Registered
263 Posts
I can't speak for your switchblade key but it looks EXTREMELY similar to my Audi switchblade key as well as the newer Audi switchblade keys and YES it does indeed contain and immobilizer chip. All cars these days do.

This immobilizer chip is on the key itself and is separate from the rest of the fob. Cutting the key is a matter of finding the right locksmith who has the equipment to do it. As for the immobilizer chip, you may be able to find a locksmith who can sync the chip to your car, ifnot take it to the dealership and let them rape you. You really don't have a choice..... But if you do have a choice, go with a reputable locksmith for EVERYTHING key related. Stay away from the dealer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I call to Hyundai Customer service, but they redirect me to local dealer.
They could make just a key, that unlock/lock door - which cost $70.00
For full function you need a key fob, which cost $400.00

Yes, you can fined / buy new fob with uncut key or used one from Internet, BUT NO ONE locksmith in New York aria (that recommended by this companies) can cut the key and program the fob for Sana Fe Sport 2013. Yet :(:(:(

My locksmith can do all of it as long as it's a new key and fob

:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
YES it does indeed contain and immobilizer chip. All cars these days do.

This immobilizer chip is on the key itself and is separate from the rest of the fob.
So...... The OP's nasty attitude towards others made me want to keep my mouth shut but the locksmith in me needed to lay out some facts.

First not to rag on pablo but not "all cars these days" have transponder chips in their keys although it is very common. As far as the chip on the key itself and not the fob, the key itself is just a hunk of metal no more no less. The chip is usually encased in the plastic head and in the case of flip keys they are in the fob area but not electronically connected (usually).

With that being said, and before yahooeu gets even more bent out of shape!

The 2013 SF sport does NOT have a chip in the key. It is simply a high security key in a flip fob setup. A simple key blank (no chip) can be cut and the vehicle will start and operate normally with no programing! Obviously a new fob would need programed and the same for the push button fobik

·
Registered
271 Posts
On previous model year Santa Fe's there was no imobilizer chip in US cars, however all Canadian models had a chip as it was a Canadian vehicle code requirement.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The push start fob doesn't have a chip built into the key side but I'll bet the switchblade fob has one on the key side SEPARATE from the fob. These switchblade keys look awfully similar to the VW Audi switchblade keys and on mine, the key half has the immobilizer chip.

Anyone who has worked in the car industry knows that things like key fobs are outsourced to companies that make them to the specifications of the manufacturer and it would be foolish for a car company in this day and age to say, "yeah the key that actually starts the car doesn't need an immobilizer chip". It's not like immo chips are a new thing and only the finest cars have them lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The push start fob doesn't have a chip built into the key side but I'll bet the switchblade fob has one on the key side SEPARATE from the fob. These switchblade keys look awfully similar to the VW Audi switchblade keys and on mine, the key half has the immobilizer chip.

Anyone who has worked in the car industry knows that things like key fobs are outsourced to companies that make them to the specifications of the manufacturer and it would be foolish for a car company in this day and age to say, "yeah the key that actually starts the car doesn't need an immobilizer chip". It's not like immo chips are a new thing and only the finest cars have them lol.
*Again my experience is with the U.S. models only*

Okay, the "key side" or the blade of these (2013 SF) flip keys are just a hunk of metal. They have no chip in them nor do the fobs have an ignition immobilizer chip in them. If you're certain your Audi has a chip in the blade I would love to see some pics of that! Not one of the flip fobs (for any vehicle) in my shop, in my van or any I've seen in the field have the chip in the blade (if they have them at all). It's always somewhere in the plastic case itself.

While no "Auto expert" I have worked in the industry, in one way or another, for 16 years and have a pretty good feel for its methods. While I agree its foolish, no chip is more common than you might think on new vehicles. The high security keys used in these vehicles are extremely hard to pick and provide a good amount of well, security! Plenty of other "options" that are not "new" or "high end" are left off of vehicles by the manufactures all for the same reason.... MONEY!:cool:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah I can prove it.... Here is a video on how to program the IMMOBILIZER chip on the Key to the car.... Although it is not for Hyundai, it is for the Audi and VW and again, I'll bet a Santa Fe non push start has one on the key side and I'm not talking about the metal part. I'm talking about the plastic that the metal part of the key inserts into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj3K04eMV7w

Furthermore, you'll notice in the vid, the yellow car icon with the key in it... This is a common symbol that is usually found on all cars with immobilizers in them. All a Santa Fe owner has to do to know if they have an immobilizer chip in their Key is to see if this symbol comes on when you start the car.

Lastly The vid shows that the key and fob are joined... When I did this for my car (yes I have the VCDS cable) I separated the Key from the fob to ensure there was no interference. I don't suspect Hyundai is much different..... The yellow car with the key symbol is your tell tale sign that it exists.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts