Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry - first post - by mistake went into the Elantra forum (please remove from there) - repeating here: 1998 Hyundai Accent - the OBD connector broke loose from its mounting. To get at it I need to remove the fog lamp / dashboard dim switch panel. Any tips on how to do this? Does it just snap out or do I have to remove the whole dash? (ugh). Thanks for any inputs.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is an old post from a long time ago with no responses. I think I have to do this to get to the various relays which seem to be totally inaccessible from underneath the dash. Any suggestions here?

·
Registered
12,105 Posts
There's a panel below the steering cowling that Hyundai call the crash pad. That's what you need to remove to access the relay carrier.
If you look along the bottom of the crash pad you'll see two 10mm bolts...remove those. At the top of the panel there are two more 10mm bolts behind round plastic covers. Pry the covers off and remove the upper bolts. The panel should just pull off now.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm ... this is what I have under the crash panel. Sorry to belabor this but I don't see anything that looks like a set of relays.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,105 Posts
I think the relay carrier should be to the left of that opening.

It's 20 odd years since I worked on one of these old Accents but from what I remember you aren't able to remove the part of the dash that is directly in front of the relay carrier. You could pop the switch panel out that you asked about all those years ago but I don't think you'll get your hands through that opening to remove the relays. But maybe I'm wrong. Like I say, it's been a while.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I popped the switch panel out and the relay panel is behind it. However there is only 1 relay on the top row. I can get my hand in there but now I am wondering why the two relays on either side of the one that is there are missing. This is a 1998 Accent. Would that one relay on the top be the fuel pump relay? Are the other two missing or not needed for this year? The car used to start and run fine with this configuration. Looks like the swap test is out.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,105 Posts
It's hard to make it out on your photo, but there are three relay slots on the top row of the carrier. The fuel pump relay is fitted to the center slot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts