Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 05 accent hatchback and i was wondering what is the best way to add on the factory or aftermarket fog lights. my car did not come with them from the factory so there is no cut-out for them but i would like to put them in the same location. can they be cut out? and if so, what can i use to cut them out cleanly?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I don't know about the 2005 but on my 2008 I added them. I ordered a bumper insert and the OEM fog lights. Installing it was easy and the wiring had to all be done from scratch with a separate switch installed. You could go with the factory switch but that was more than I wanted to do.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Looks like there was a model year change for the fog panel?

The 2000 - 2005 with the round fog lights would take an entire new bumper cover.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can't cut them out huh. maybe i can find something bright enough to fit into one of the other voids in the front bumper. the way the weather is here i could use some extra visibility. thanks.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
You could use a hole saw to make the round holes. The thing with fog lights is they really don't add a lot of light. Rather they light up a wide area from ditch to ditch and 30'-50' in front. Most OEM fogs are just eye candy.

That being said I put HIDs in mine and adjust them up. Then rig them so they do not come on with the low beams but the high beams or by themselves. You get very bright and spread out side to side light that way.

Here is the fog lights only and hi beams only. Fogs are 35w HID.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how expensive is it for the hid conversion for the fogs and headlights and, is it worth it? i have heard the bulbs for them are really expensive and the extra heat they put out can damage the headlight housings.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Mine cost about $50 a lamp for ballast and bulb. Never had a heat problem. Make sure you get 35w and don't go too high in the color range. 4300k is very white.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, sounds good. i am replacing both of my headlight assy. soon with new ones from tyc so, that should add a little more light through.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I cut out the holes in the bumper with a dremmel for my 04 and put in some Optilux 1300 angel eyes and up-graded the bulb to 100 watt... they are driving lights and not fog lights... (off road use only) If I remember right hyundai only charged me 11 bucks for the dash foglight switch that did not come with my GL. I had to drill some holes in the bottom of the frame to mount them but with some patience I got everything lined up and they work great. I spent a long time re wiring the switch so they came on with my high beams only when the "fog light" switch is on... so if switch is off, everything is normal, and with it on, they come on and off with the highs. I wired the angel eyes to the parking lights so the led ring is on all the time... the led ring is very cool, or blue but looks like a nice upgrade over standard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts