Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken our 2015 Sonata to two dealerships and both times the batteries for both our key fobs for our 2015 Sonata have been replaced. We have a problem in thatthe dealers can't duplicate the warning of a low key fob battery at the dealerships but a day or so later in both instances the warning appears for us after the engine is shutdown and shows a picture of a battery with a low red level shown on a picture of a battery with the statement key fob battery is low. My dealers here claim they have never heard of this before unless the batteries are actually low. SO we have had them test new batteries there and then place them in the fobs . Apparently there is not a low fob battery warning reset method and there is not anything the computers can show. The batteries since they are new show full power and range and do test to do what they are supposed to do yet we still get an intermittent warning that comes on the dash after we have shut the engine off. Sometimes there is no warning but maybe 1 outta 4 times it comes back on again after we shut the motor off.
Since there is no way to reset and new batteries aren't working what else could it be? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sounds like a bug in the software or the FOB may possibly be going bad. I'd try to take a few pictures and, if you can, video of it happening so you can show it to the dealer. They might be able to better troubleshoot from the media you show them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today was weird . We drove the car and turned it off 4 different times with our camera in hand to take a pic of the low key fob battery and it never showed up on the dash. But we will continue to try to take a pic of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder how many others out there are having the same problem? My intent is to take this to both dealers here along with pics and video of it. If I get the same responses then I will do a formal complaint.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've just recently started to get the low key fob battery warning, albeit once in a while. I've had my Eco for 2 years. I had replaced the battery in one fob back a few months ago, and just recently replaced the battery in the other when the warning appeared again. Until I read this post, I thought maybe it was inferior dollar store batteries I installed. Was thinking about buying 2 better brand batteries to change out of the fobs and then monitor if the message appears again. I'll post an update once I get around to replacing the batteries again. Currently the key fob battery warning displays maybe once in 5 to 6 shut downs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was installing mud flaps on my Sonata today. I was on the floor and pressed the brake peddle with my hand to start the car and got the low battery alarm. The FOB was in my pocket. So I'm wondering in order to start the car the FOB must be close to the start switch.

For your info - if the battery goes dead you can still start the car by pressing the FOB on the start switch. Sounds crazy, but I removed the battery from a FOB and the car started when I pressed the FOB to the start switch

·
Registered
409 Posts
Almost 3 years ago, when I leased the car, I had a problem with one set of keys (out of 2). This set drained battery in less then couple of weeks. I had to visit dealership 4 times before I they came to conclusion that I knew from the beginning and they replaced faulty FOB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've just recently started to get the low key fob battery warning, albeit once in a while. I've had my Eco for 2 years. I had replaced the battery in one fob back a few months ago, and just recently replaced the battery in the other when the warning appeared again. Until I read this post, I thought maybe it was inferior dollar store batteries I installed. Was thinking about buying 2 better brand batteries to change out of the fobs and then monitor if the message appears again. I'll post an update once I get around to replacing the batteries again. Currently the key fob battery warning displays maybe once in 5 to 6 shut downs.
It seems to be about every 5 or 6 shutdowns for us also. The last time it did the fob warning = I didn't have the camera ready :-( soon or later I will have a video and pic of it. Its interesting that both my Hyundai dealers still claim they have never heard of this before........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Almost 3 years ago, when I leased the car, I had a problem with one set of keys (out of 2). This set drained battery in less then couple of weeks. I had to visit dealership 4 times before I they came to conclusion that I knew from the beginning and they replaced faulty FOB
That just might be the problem for us although both dealerships here claim the batteries are just great hmmm..........

·
Registered
504 Posts
they love saying that, for any issue.
when i had 2011 sonata hybrid, they had serious issue at first, car would shut down while you drive it, it would shut down and say "charging system failure", even after numerous people experienced it, documented, and even reported to Hyundai HQ, as well as NHTSA, my dealer played dumb when i asked them if there was update on issue. you know what they say, a car dealer lies when he opens his mouth

·
Registered
34 Posts
Update... I tolerated the low key fob battery warning since my original post, and just about 2 weeks ago I finally decided to replace batteries in both key fobs. This, as the warning was occurring more frequently. I installed brand new Duracell CR-2032's and since the replacement, no low battery warning! Must have been the dollar store batteries. :nerd: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Update... I tolerated the low key fob battery warning since my original post, and just about 2 weeks ago I finally decided to replace batteries in both key fobs. This, as the warning was occurring more frequently. I installed brand new Duracell CR-2032's and since the replacement, no low battery warning! Must have been the dollar store batteries. :nerd: :thumbsup:
Sometimes you get what you pay for. :imsorry:

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
I was getting the no fob detected warning on my Gen Coupe and had to start putting my smart key in the holder to get the car started. new battery fixed it. Old one was 3.0v, new one was 3.3v. Doesn't take much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our car didn't start this apparently fake warning until almost 3 years of ownership.
My 2015 Sonata started low battery at 2 1/2 years. I had the battery replaced and the FOB stopped working. The dealership said there was a faulty motherboard? Now my other FOB is warning low battery but I dare not change the battery. I am getting no help from the dealership!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just experienced the exact same problem with my 2016 Sonata...Replaced FOB battery with 2032 Engergiizer... warning message continues to appear intermittently

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just experienced the exact same problem with my 2016 Sonata...Replaced FOB battery with 2032 Engergiizer... warning message continues to appear intermittently
Exact same issue as you when I replaced mine with energizer batteries. Old batteries were Def old and started getting the message they were low.

Replaced with energizer batteries and after a few days was back to low battery message. Perturbed I paid for energizer batteries and they were already bad, I tested them with my volt meter. They were bad. Even affected how car reacted when remotely started and it would die when a door was opened, I guess from not seeing the fob???

Went a bought some cheapie sunbeam batteries from dollar tree and haven't had a message since. Been over several months and still good. Car doesn't die when opening door after remote start either. Imagine that!!

Doubt if I'll buy energizer again...

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Make sure the contacts of the battery and the contacts in the FOB are clean. Maybe a nail file on the contacts. I had to replace the batteries on the wife's SFS. They would open the door if you pressed the FOB button, not the door button. Old battery was 3.0 new 3.3V. That was months ago.

ALWAYS buy brand name batteries from a brand store. There are fake batteries out there !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts