Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Added subwoofer and amp installed, and sounds great. But think I’m noticing a tad more static or weaker reception on FM stations.

If the installer forgot to connect something (like the antenna) would it show up that way, or is it more of an all or nothing connection and I would have much more obvious degradation of reception?

Is very slight and infrequent distortion too, and honestly don’t know if I’m just being too analytical or if I should ask the installer to check. It MIGHT have been that way before and I’m just now noticing.

USB and Sstellite are perfect. Maybe the subwoofer just makes any imperfect reception more noticeable?

Subwoofer and amp were transplanted from my 2015 to 2018 Elantra, but 2015 needed the subwoofer and sounded like crap without it. In 2018, it’s just a very nice improvement. So can’t compare the reception to old car.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,954 Posts
Hows the AM/MW reception?
Maybe the power supply to the aerial amplifier has been disconnected. You'll probably have no MW reception at all with the amp inop.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked it up. MW stands for Medium Wave and sounds like that IS or at least includes AM.

And when the car is only in accessory mode and the engine is not running, the amp IS disengaged. So I will try that and see. —-except the static/weaker reception instances are while the car is in motion.

Is not that bad. I’m just concerned with whether there has been a slight deterioration in the strength/quality of the FM signal since the car’s audio was worked on, or if it was always like that and I’m just now noticing (ir imagining) a change.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
External amps need both ground and 12V directly from the rear of the radio, if not, you will get ground loops, or static.

Shop manual states for the AM/FM antenna, its glass, only glass is in the rear window, see a strip in there. These never worked as well as a real antenna mast, but seems to be okay in my Limited for static free reception, but only in FM, AM always and always will have static. FM clips the carrier to an even level, the amount of deviation from the center frequency determines the amplitude, the rate of change of this deviation, the frequency.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,846 Posts
If the antenna is not getting 12v then you will get weaker FM and no AM.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AM is ok. And did not use HD much yet, but noticed it cutting in and out a little after the install.

I guess I’ll just mention nicely to the installer and ask him if there COULD be something loose or if I would have to have more obvious symptoms if that would be the case.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I don’t know how to read the schematic you attached but appreciate it.

Have noticed that the distortion/weak reception is much more pronounced on lower frequencies (below 100.3). And unfortunately, I wasn’t listening to them hardly at all before I added the amp and subwoofer.

I trust the installer and he’s done good work for me before so asking him probably best. Just wish there was a way I could objectively determine if FM is worse or just the same before I bug him.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Coincidentally drove a loaner from the dealer today and it has the same audio system (except for the subwoofer and amp) and then was back in my own car.

I think the distortion may have always been there, but it’s hust more noticeable with the added components. The subwoofer and amp enhance all sounds. So when there is any distortion it “enhances” that as well.

At least that’s my theory.

In fact, My install included a control up front so I can make minor adjustments in the amount of amplification without having to mess with the Gain control on the amp (behind driver’s side rear seat). When I turn that down (even though I have it very low already) the distortion SEEMS less noticeable.

Might still talk to my installer to run my theory past him, but think (hope) all is ok.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Talked to my installer and it's doubtful it has anything to do with the install. He was willing to look at it, but said if anything was not connected just right, the symptoms would be much worse. Sort of an all or nothing, like no reception at all. And it's not that bad.

The static/poor reception IS more noticeable some days vs others. Of course... after visiting the installer yesteday, when the FM quality was pretty good, it sounds more crappy today. Alsmot like it KNEW I was considering having the isntaller inspect it.

I think it's just a crummy radio with poor reception on FM, amoung other things (like the blutooth delay in sending spoken navaigation instructions from my Iphone). Am tempted to ask if anything can be added to beef it up, but still considering replacing the radio (head unit?) if I can't get the bluetooth issue fixed. If it is just a weak-ass receiver, I'll be killing tow birds with one stone.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
On the if it ain't broke don't fix it theory no reason to pull my radio out, but on others that are 100% solid state, use a cable harness soldered to terminals of the PC boards, may find one with a rosin connection. This would cause static.

You mentioned a woofer and external amps, what about speakers? Can play with your fader and balance controls to listen to each one. Did your installer check the resistance of your speakers? Can be 2, 3.2. 4, 6, 8, or even 12 ohms. is possible your amps are over driving them. Also possible having voice coil rubbing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just one amp and subwoofer, and they were installed in my 2015 Elantra and just transplanted to the 2018 (Ltd).

The 2018’s speakers certainly sound better, but is it likely they’re substantially different from the 2015’s?

I attributed the improved sound to [i think] having 6 speakers vs 4 and maybe a better radio (despite my complaint about the FM).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think the AMP may be interfering with my FM reception. Did a little bit of research and read that amplifiers can emit RF interference?

Have been trying to rationalize the perceived weak reception away ever since last Thursday, but finally am sure it's not just a perception.

Going to take the car back to the installer and ask him to check it out. Worst case scenario I'll just ask them to remove the subwoofer and the amp and go back to stock configuration.

Really didn't NEED the two components on this car anyway. Had them installed on the 2015 Elantra (traded for the 2018), cause it's audio system sucked and sounded like a little transistor radio. Absolutely zero bass. And the subwoofer and amp worked perfectly for it.

The 2018 sounded fine, but I thought for $100, why not enhance the sound by transplanting the two components into it.

So... strongly considering just having them removed. If the weak reception or interference issue can be resolved, great. If not... I'd rather have better reception than the added bass, which this car is not severely lacking in as it's predecessor was.

Does that make sense?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts