Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on flushing the power steering system for my 05 Santa Fe LX AWD.

The method that I was initially going to use was like this (in short summarized form): disconnect the return hose to let it drain -> add new PSF -> turn wheels -> repeat til it looks clear

However, I have learned that this method may not flush the system well enough since only about half of fluid is actually in the resevoir. Therefore, I then thought about doing this (again summarized in short): disconnect return hose to let it drain -> secure another new hose to the return hose going to an empty bucket -> add new PSF -> start the engine and let it squirt out ->

NOW.... I have an issue with the 2nd method which supposedly flushes the PS system better. Won't this method risk running the power steering system dry?

I need some advice/tips/etc to help me with this problem. Thanks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Jbyoun, you’re on the right path. Flushing and refilling the steering system with fresh fluid will help prolong the pump life among other things. The second option is the best, but you’ll never be able to pour fresh fluid in fast enough before the reservoir runs dry.

After removing the reservoir and cleaning it out reinstall and refill with fresh fluid. I used a pencil to plug the upper return port on the reservoir. You can add clear tubing to the return line or just run it into a container. Reconnect the lower feed line to the pump. Have a helper sit behind the wheel and start the engine. Keep an eye on the reservoir and have the helper shut off the engine well before the reservoir falls below the return port (about two seconds). Refill the reservoir and repeat until the fresh fluid begins flowing from the return line into the container. Once the flush and fill is complete reconnect the return line to the reservoir. Now jack up the front wheels off the ground and install jackstands to support the vehicle. Top off the reservoir and start the engine. Turn the steering wheel fully side to side about a dozen times. Shut off the engine and remove the jackstands - check the fluid level once more - top off if needed. Take the vehicle out for a test drive and savor the satisfaction that you have completed a simple job that a dealership would charge about $100 to perform.

Be Safe, Mark V.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts